1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the media so stupid?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lloyddestroy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    So most - not all - sports media is reporting on the Steelers' losses on D as some super bad news.

I watched some, report in a somber tone: Pgh has no lost Dick LeBeau, Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Jason Worilds and Brent Keisel from last year's team, which was already struggling on defense.

Guess what, geniuses, that was a bad D and almost none of those departures will make us worse; most spots will most likely be upgraded. Troy and Ike were terrible by season's end.

LeBeau was old and inflexible and falling behind the times. He was still calling plays as if Troy was the 2008 version. That was over 5 years ago, now Troy was a liability, not some superman to build your entire game plan around. The better game plan was to send Troy to the bench. The team played better D without him on the field. No knock on Troy, he tried his very best, but, due to his playing style, he was old by 32. But with Dick's man love for him, he was blind to Troy no longer being able to fulfill the role of superman. And that hurt the entire D.

But, the media just goes on and on about how our already weak D will get even weaker. I highly doubt it. Will we have growing pains? Sure we will. But hopefully we will make the mistakes at 200 miles per hour and will grow as the season goes on. The media is clueless, like usual. And don't forget his guy could really get it in gear this season.

[video=youtube;wmT5sX7G3xk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmT5sX7G3xk[/video]

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Loyd, usually I disagree with your negativity...

Nice to see you post something with some optimism.

Honestly, I`m not sure if all the changes on D are gonna work out for the best, or not.

I`m hoping they do... It was becoming painfully obvious, that our D was becoming the weak link on the team.

NEVER thought I would have to say that, as a STEELER fan...

I STILL refuse to put that on LeBeau... Maybe I`m wrong.

Maybe, he`s just too stubborn to change, but that Hall of Famer has a track record going back for decades, and it is hard to believe, that he just suddenly forgot how to call defensive plays.

MAYBE he had faith in Troy for a year or two, too long, but it`s hard to blame him for that, after what Troy did in his first 10 years on our team...

As for the media reporting in "somber tones", the retirement, of all except Jason Worillds,

There IS a sense of loss among fans of this team, of players leaving, that have been here a long time, and preformed at VERY high levels, for most of their careers here...

I can understand that. I`m having a hard time letting go of them, too...

I`m confident that Ike, and,Troy`s time has come, no matter how much I love what the`ve done for us...

Brett Keisel, not so much.. I think he still has a year or two left, I`m just not sure if he could stay healthy.

I`m glad we brought James Harisson back, but I don`t want/expect him to be a starter/ play 75% of the snaps.

That`s the same role, I would have liked for Keisel...

Worillds, is an unexpected loss, but I don`t think we are losing a Hall of Fame caliber player. A good one, yes, but not wayyy above average...

He MIGHT have blossomed into that over the next few years, given a starting role, but, we will never know, and I`m not too worried that we missed out on a future H.O.F.`er...

As for what we have moving forward,

I AM excited to see what Shazier can do. As an admitted, and unashamed Buckeye fan, I see a lot of potential, but I have also seen previous Buckeyes let me down. (And current ones, Mike Adams, get yer s**t together!)...

I had to wonder why you only showed his college highlights, in the video you posted, when I remembered him tearing it up in the preseason...

Then I went to youtube to look for those highlights, and others of his time with the STEELERS...

And, there weren`t any... I know he was injured, but I expected to see more, anyhow, it doesn`t really matter what`s on youtube from last year, I have faith he will turn out to be a solid pick.

I have a feeling Stephen Tuitt will turn out to be a monster.

McCullers has a lot of potential, and McClendon has proved he belongs on the field..

I have no worries about Cam Heyward...

I`m hoping Shamarko Thomas and Jarvis Jones live up to their potential as well, even tho they haven`t really proved it to me, yet...

Yet to be seen what Sean Spence, Terrance Garvin, and Arthur Moats, could bring to the table...

But they all definitely have some upside potential...

William Gay, has proven himslf, at times, but also can be inconsistent...

Safeties, I guess are my biggest concern...

but overall on Defense, I don`t have much concern that we will be WORSE, than we were...

Unfortunately, that means we were pretty bad to begin with...

I`m hoping Keith Butler brings a more agressive style to it, than Dick did the last 2 or 3 years...

That could backfire, as well... Live by the blitz, die by the blitz...

But, Dammnit. I MISS BLITZBURGH!!!...

Roll the dice, get some pressure on the qb`s, and jam the recievers at the line, and see what happens...
    It could be good!!!

If it`s bad, at least we tried something different!

GO STEELERS!!!:steelflag:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I have to ask this- did you catch Dick LeBeau in bed with your wife? :lolol:

I just wonder because of how frequently you post something negative about the man.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think the media just lists the names (Polamalu, Taylor, Kiesel) and portrays us losing three studs. In reality all of those guys were just a shell of themselves, and their departure won't hurt us like it would have if it were 2008. Losing Worilds is gonna hurt for sure tho. He was a pretty solid player for us... But of course that doesn't mean he can't be replaced or even upgraded.

I think you're right tho. With a fresh new look from Butler, and hopefully some really talented new draft picks, I don't see why our defense can't improve from last season.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Why is the media so stupid? Obviously they are a bunch of Kool aid drinking lapdogs. Not just sports media either. A good portion of the blame goes to the idiotic society buying into their biased reporting.

I'm also of the mindset that the D will be just fine again this season.

If the offense picks up exactly where they left off prior to Bell being hurt then this team could be very dangerous. Probably will need to win 2 of the 3 games he is suspended for though.

6. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao:

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    LMAO

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    lloyd,

i dont think DL was falling behind the times, defense is still defense, and he knows more than anyone. But I do believe it was time for a change. As for everything else, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Part of it goes with it being a slow time of the year and the media feels obligated to say or write something, anything. Hell, we're doing the same thing.

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Steeler fans are excited about seeing a Butler defense next year, the media can whine all they want but this defense needed to go in a new direction with a younger coach with young players hungry for a chance to play, I feel good about this defense being rejuvinated and surprising all the nay sayers....

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have high hopes for the defense this next season and how they will improve. Like others have said, the national media sees four big names lost and suddenly we have a horrible defense.

But it will be some big "resurrection" story by week 8 when we are top 5 in defense!:yeehaw:

11. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with DL aging or not understanding how to defend the new offenses. I think it comes down to the intelligence and instincts of the players on the field. And quite frankly, I believe that we have struggled because of the loss of James Farrior a few years ago. He was said to be the leader of the defense and an extension of DL on the field. I don't think we've replaced his intelligence yet, and until we find that QB of the defense, it won't matter how athletic they are, they will struggle on defense. Just my opinion.

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Actually since they put that green dot on the helmet of the D play caller on the field, the coaches are just calling in the defensive alignments and they just relay it with the option to change it if the offense changes up: It would be interesting to find out how many D plays get called from the sidelines now, and how many don't...

14. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Look, I'm a Steeler fan. I want them to win. It is my perception that DL - as most men approaching 80 years of age - stubbornly stuck with featuring Troy as he did back when Troy was in his prime and a superman of sorts. It hurt us badly. Over the last several years the D actually improved when TP was off the field. They had to adjust to it at first, but bottom line was they became more consistent with TP not playing. It is LeBeau's job to figure out the best possible D with the players he has got, not to have a man crush on one player and game plan featuring a player who freelances but no longer guesses right or is speedy enough to make up for his wrong guesses. Every week we heard the announcers say, "Dick LeBeau says that Troy has better instincts than any player he has ever seen" meaning, in their pregame interviews Dick was STILL making this claim, if not, the announcers would not bring it up every game. That tells me DL was delusional and not coordinating the D to be the best possible unit. He was coaching to what USED TO WORK but no longer was. No ONE MAN is bigger than the team and that includes the hall of famer LeBeau. AND, obviously the Rooneys agree with me, as he was NOT invited back as DC.

"The man" was screwing up the team, and for that reason, I didn't want him here any longer. That's how it works. No ONE man is bigger than the team. Troy, Dick, Ike all were bringing the team down.

15. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    I don't think he was "falling behind the times," per se, but was when it came to his ability to accurately grasp what Troy had left. His man crush blinded him and he ended up coordinating poorly, because Troy was a shell of his former self, but DL kept game planning as if he was the 2008 version of Troy. That is what happens when you get old: You go back to what used to be working without realizing it no longer is.

16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Us old folks don't like change hehehe.....DL did have some George Allen in him....

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thorn already refuted that very thoroughly. There was no man crush.

18. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Laughable. When did you lose your eyesight and hearing?

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You're entitled to your perception. I disagree with most of it, though.

Truer words were never spoken about no man being bigger than the team.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You should keep an open mind in debates, did you even read Thorns responses to you when you gave us this same spiel about Troy and DL's man crush of him a couple weeks ago? Should have given you a new perspective.

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the media is just telling the story that is available to be told. It is the story we fans want them to tell, because we want to remember Troy, Ike, and Brett as great players and DL as a great coach. Reporting that the team lost great players and may suffer from it is in a way, respecting them.

22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with the overall thesis even if I'm not necessarily prepared to follow the argument all the way.

But...

I WANT everyone thinking we're going to hurt over this. :evil::emperor:

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not a bad way of looking at it.

And like Ray says, if people want to think that, then that's all the better for us next season.

I would agree with Lloyd on the point that, despite being paid to follow the sport, a lot of writers seem unable to look beyond a few starters when assessing a team's strengths. I know they're often looking at a national picture, but it doesn't take too much to look into what back-ups a team has, what their potential is, etc.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's hard to have a fresh approach when there is oversaturation. The media covering the NFL is like a Merry Go Round. Let's see how many times we can invent a new spin.

I appreciated what Coach LeBeau brought. But like everything else, it fades. I'm looking forward to Coach Butler's defense and a new look.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The 1 big concern I have is are we willing to change our approach ? We can't continue the stop the run first 15 yard cushion zone blitzes. Teams just have to many hot reads and most QB'S have a high football IQ.

The day of the base Defenses are all but gone . Multiple Defense is the future the Team needs to start getting the right pieces to that puzzle .