1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Randy Gregory?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel43, Apr 16, 2015.

1. steel43

steel43 New Member

Apr 16, 2015
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I would select him, but I don't work for the Steelers. Like the first 4 rounds of his draft, although I seriously think they'd have to take byron jones in the second and golston in the 4th, not the way he has them.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd pretty much hate that draft and really hope they dont role the dice on Gregory. Multiple failed tests already on his resume plus he admitted he has trouble laying off the stuff. No thanks.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like to keep up with nfldraftscout as a typical barometer and they have gregory now below dupree as he drops down in the first.

byron jones has moved into solid first round contention above peters who is now late first early second ranked.

they move guys around pretty regularly as the pro days and buzz comes in the closer we get to draft day.

rowe is also right behind peters now as a late first early second round pick. i expect by draft time rowe could be into the first round by many teams. there is still time for movement for some of these guys before it's over.

Roberts the cb from marshall that the steelers were looking at at his pro day was first listed as a late UDFA a week or two ago and now is a 6th round ranked corner with the arrow pointing up. he could go anywhere from 4th to 6th before it's over. nothing is a done deal until teams start picking and the guys most draft sites had as top players could still move up or down yet.

gregory's movement has come since the reports came out about the failed drug test. he could very well be there when we pick and i hope stays there after we pick.:cool:

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    jarvis jones 2.0 plus jane ?

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No No and Double no.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What? Gregory isn't JJ 2.0, he's the anti-JJ. Where Jones is a limited athlete that shows football savvy and good character traits, Gregory is a superb athlete who gets by on raw talent and has bad character traits. And by the way, don't pay any attention to his 235 lb. combine weight. The guys on Movin the Chains were talking about him, and per what they've been told by sources he played at about 255 lbs. and lost a lot of weight before the combine trying to purge his system of THC (which obviously failed). JJ and Gregory have basically nothing in common.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

So, would you take him at #22?

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It depends on who else is available, and whether I could find a dance partner to trade down. Setting aside off the field crap, he's a top 10 pick. I think about 15 guys in this draft are legit first rounders, and then there's a wave of the borderline 1st/2nd round guys in terms of talent. If I'm sitting there at #22 and all of the guys that I see as first round talent are gone, as well as my favorite guys out of the next group, then yeah maybe I do take him if my interviews with him and his coaches give me some comfort. The problem with this scenario is that both Gregory and his coaches have repeatedly ignored my requests for interviews, so I don't think he's really serious about me drafting him...

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

i trust you i fought he was overrated like jones
    do you prefer gregory or ray ..on the football field forget for a moment the jane ?

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    they had a piece on him on NFL.com today. He tweeted about the Lombardi Trophies and the article basically said he was stunned by the sights and sounds at the Steelers facility after saying he was bored in the Big Easy or something to that effect.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I would go with Ray. I like Ray better as a pass rusher. He is really explosive, and I think he still has some thing to learn from good coaching that will make him even better. Gregory is better against the run, and solid against the pass, but he seems to be a step slower around the edge than Ray. Both guys are legit top 10 talents IMO.

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Use to go to this ledgendary\ Farrel,Pa HS BB coach's camp Ed McCluskey, he use to say we have better ball players on the street than I have playing for my team, why because they can't follow rules and discipline. He won like 10 state titles in his coaching career. So for all these 420 athletes that can't kick the weed we will find alternatives. And we will.

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree with Blast this draft would suck. There has been a lot of talk here in our mock draft about taking Golson in the 3rd with our pick as being to high so to take him in the 2nd......wow. No way do I want a RB in the 3rd, with our needs RB is not on my radar in the first 3 rounds. Jones in the 4th............there are tons of so called experts that say he is a 1st rounder, no way he last till the 4th. Not impressed with the last 4 picks either based on our needs, no way do I want to end the draft with back to back wr's.

As for the Gregory pick I need to look at it some more I am kinda tossed up on him. I think it is going to depend on who is out there still. I know one thing I really want to trade back and get that extra pick, maybe like 5-8 spots. However if we move back anymore then that we could be looking at more picks.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Then Shane Ray must be really bad, because Gregory is not an edge setter. He can get to the ball carrier with speed when initially beating the lineman off the snap or in pursuit on runs away, but when run directly at he is not strong at the point of attack when dealing with blockers.

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I've heard a few people on here say that Gregory was good against the run... I thought that was supposed to be one of his biggest weaknesses? I'm not saying that they are wrong, but it's just interesting that the view on that is so different from what some of the "draft experts" have to say.

With Ray, I actuall think he is solid against the run. I haven't watched tons of his game tape, but he sure seems like the best pass rusher in the class to me. Good all around player.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mel and Todd special Thursday night.
    Polian really makes a bold statement that he would be scared to draft Gregory high No Pun intended.Said something about making a dumb move before combine and weed problem, 2 things he (Polian) if he was doing the drafting for a team doesn't need to worry about.

18. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I seem to say this a lot but ... if we draft a RB in round 3 after signing a backup RB for $2 million per, I'm going to lose it.

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't forget about the 3rd rounder from last year. The one we are scared to give the ball to.