1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

27 days out

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    1. eric rowe CB/FS Utah
    2. clive walford TE Mia.
    3. hauoli kikaha OLB Wash.
    4. steve nelson CB Ore.St.
    5. matt jones RB Fla.
    6. Darryl Roberts CB Marsh
    6. sean hickey OT syr.
    7. Max Garcia C/G Fla.

adjusted 4/24/15:cool:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought this was a prequel to 28 Days Later.

Change 1st pick to a OLB and the 4th pick to a TE and WR in the 6th and I'd like this.

I know they have brought in a lot of LB's to kick the tires but the only ones that intrigues me are Lemon and Hojo.

And I can't see any way that Walford will be the highest rated player on their board at pick 22, think that would be a big reach.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heck with that, we'll just outscore everybody.:smiley1::cool:

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like we did against the Bucs, Jets, Ravens in playoffs?

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    not sure about walford in the first. how good of a blocker is he? unless we are gonna use him as a receiver only and then I don't see him worth a first pick. I guess I aint crazy about first 3 but would love the last 4. especially conley and Roberts at those spots

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Come on now you know the Steelers like to wait until the 5th rd to draft their cornerbacks :roflmao:

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just like you have him in your mock, I was surprised to see Anthony Harris projected for the 6th on CBS Sports' rankings. I would think he'd go in the top three rounds. Led in INTs the year before last. Needs some strength and bulk on his frame but everything else seems to be there. If we can get him in the middle rounds that would be stellar.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Anybody going out to the windy city for the draft?
    I would like to put that on my bucket list. Especially if it stays in Chicago.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'M gona go if i win the contest ( jersy contest)...:D

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

actually a pretty good blocker. duke johnson has run well. the steelers have been looking his way for awhile. they met with him at miami's pro day. he won't be there for their 2nd round pick so.

harris has dropped some in the rankins with an injury and not being able to workout. his speed isn't top notch, but his play on the field is quite good. many sites have dropped him down from the 2-3 range. not sure he'll last until the 6th though.

the steelers have had or are planning visits with walford, jones and roberts. they have gone to see emanuel and i have heard talk of an interest in rowe. harris i have always liked and if ogbuehi were sitting there in the 3rd, that would be hard to not pull the trigger on. they have also been showing some interest in the bigger wr's. the kid from louisville, gardner from mich. and another i have read. i could definately see them doing something on this order. walford would be a very good addition.:smiley1::cool:

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Ouch. This would be a pretty brutal draft for us IMO. The back end looks way better than the top end, and I think you over drafted the top 2 picks big time... Although I do like Walford. I would like a trade down if that's the guy were going for in the first.

my rebuttal :)
    1. Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest
    2. Hau'oli Kikaha OLB Washington
    3. Jaquiski Tartt SS Samford
    4. Ben Koyack TE Notre Dame
    you can keep the rest of your draft as is...

I think Walford is definitely on our radar. Byron Jones from UConn has a shot to be our first round pick too. Wouldn't be shocked if we traded up in the first to get someone like Ray or maybe a couple spots to get a corner like Johnson or even Landon Collins.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I read jones is moving up and I also saw rowe was moving up solidly to the 2nd. both are pretty solid picks with size and speed for corners. also very good quickness numbers. that's hard to find in taller corners. I like the thoughts of two sub 4.4 wrs at 6-4 to go along with AB. red zone fixing. it will be interesting to see who moves up that's not expected too, there are always a couple. ya never know.:cool:

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would take a hard look at lineman first , if can land cameron erving lael collns or andreus peat in the first and jordan piliphs in the second , i would wait for the rest of the draft for secondary (two cb one safety ) foster and mclendon are free agent net year and to play the rats we need to solidify the trenches
    and ...what happened to a.harris .is falling downs like a rock

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    haters. LOL didn't work out so draft sites drop guys like that. he still has good game tape. I'd take him in a heartbeat, if he falls that far he'd be a steal.

I don't have a problem with erving. solid o-line pick. one of our other tackles would get the boot for sure. I'd definitely be for anyone that could play the left tackle spot, because we don't have a solid backup. :cool:

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there fixed it.:smiley1::cool:

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The problem with that is Peat is the only guy of those 3 I see as a legitimate LT capable player at the NFL level, and I'm not a huge fan of his. Beachum's strengths are best suited to play tackle anyways, so I think he would be a much better LT than LG... I think LG is the position on the line that is the one that needs addressed IMO, and we could effectively do that in the third or fourth round. No need to spend the 22nd pick on Erving or Collins to play guard for us (although I think either would make pretty good guards).

We haven't been bringing in any OL that have early round grades for visits, so I don't see us going in that direction. I'd be cool with Phillips in round 2 though depending on where we went in the first. If we get an OLB or CB in the first, Phillips in the 2nd could make a lot of sense for us.

17. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!! TE is not a position of need. We don't need more offensive weapons, we need starters on defense. And wtf ... your mock has 4 of our first 5 picks on the offensive side of the ball? Hell no!

18. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Walford can block pretty well, and he'll be a good TE for someone, but it better not be us. We don't have the luxury of making that kind of pick this year.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no bell for 3 games and we also saw how good we were without him in the playoffs. one injury to AB and we are in trouble. that would leave DHB, wheaton and Bryant, Goodwin, washington. remember when heath was out with an injury? spaeth has played one half of a year on his last two year contract with us. it would leave blanchflower and the kid from mizzou. we still have adams and one backup guard and a guard/center for the o-line. that is our reserve unit. heath is getting old. now how do you feel about our offense?

in this draft we gain a free safety (rowe) a corner (Roberts) an OLB (Emanuel). rowe, Thomas, Mitchell, golden, allen, lewis, Dangerfield, ventrone at safety. rowe can pull double duty as a corner with, gay, blake, allen, webb, Roberts, fogg. OLB, moats, JH, JJ, Emanuel, zumwalt or kruger. NT, mclendon, McCullers. DE, tuitt, heyward, conrath, hemmer, kruger, Thomas, geathers. ILB, spence, Williams, shazier, Timmons, garvin.:cool:

20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think we HAVE to get a high CB this draft, and I'd like to get a replacement swing DL guy to take Cam Thomas' spot, but other than that I think we have accumulated enough bodies to formulate decent depth at OLB, S, and DE so that we don't have to pick those positions if we don't want to/if no one is there.

Meanwhile, it would be nice to replenish our offensive depth so that our offense doesn't go through what our defense is currently going through. Specifically, a TE, left side-capable OL, and RB would be nice to get. WR isn't too far off because if AB goes down we'll be hurting.

CB is at a Mount Everest level of need. OLB, DL, OL, TE, RB, WR are all hovering around the Smoky Mountains.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd be pretty pissed if Walford was the pick at #22.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I agree with you that we have depth at OLB. What I'm concerned about is quality at OLB. Our outside pass rush was mediocre last year until we brought JH back. On a few occasions I've used the Batman and Robin analogy. To have a strong outside pass rush, you need to have a "Batman." He's the guy that opponents plan against, and roll protection help toward. That frees up everyone else. The "Robin" is a guy who does a nice job when he's not the #1 focus of the pass protection, but has difficulty when he is suddenly "the" guy. I think we have a couple of solid Robins (JJ, Moats), but our Batman is 37. If we have the opportunity to take a Batman (even if he's a guy like Dupree who need some time and coaching), he needs to be the pick. That's my view. Corner is a big need, but I think the 2nd round guys are pretty darn close to the first round guys at that position.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's what rowe would bring. he's a good corner, but can also be used as a ballhawking FS. big and fast.

as for the d-line I think we will be alright. conrath has a decent bit of field time with the rams. he played pretty well for them and is young. I could see him making this squad along with hemmer. we have starters for this spot. geathers and kruger are also decent enough as some depth for camp and I'm not ruling out kruger as a guy we may try at OLB along with nix as pass rushers from that spot. if we were to grab Emanuel that would be icing on the cake. the kid is pretty good. he would be a steal that late.

I think we have better talent then most think once camp opens and some of these spots are up for grabs. I believe a lot of people will be surprised by some of our young futures picks on this team right now.

Roberts from marshall that the steelers have already looked at is moving up the draft boards fairly quickly. marshall doesn't get a lot of looks by most teams, but the steelers always do. he's got size and speed at corner. just not a household name for most. this group of corners in this draft may not be shut down immediate pro bowlers but they go very deep as far as talent. so do some of the pass rushers.:cool:

24. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Just fine. Improve our defense and you won't have to worry about AB and Miller getting injured, or Bell missing games.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm hoping for a defense-heavy draft as much as anyone, but let's not get crazy. :lolol: