1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Superbowl at Heinz Field?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ray D, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think it would be great but also believe it ranks up there with a snowballs chance in hell.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    New York was probably the last northern outdoor Super Bowl we will ever see. Sadly. I would love to see a Super Bowl in the snow.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    If it EVER happens it certainly won't be in my lifetime. So I really don't care.

5. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I am steadfastly against any SB in a non southern city, even Pgh. I feel fans/teams should be rewarded by being able to "escape" to a warm weather city and be able to cast aside boots, coats and gloves. Even if the game is in a dome, the partying leading up to the game has to deal with potential winter, crap weather. Going to a SB should be like a vacation; I don't know many people who feel a vacation is best in the cold, unless you are skiing or snow boarding. I don't even think they should host the SB in borderline warm cities like ATL or Dallas. There is nothing wrong with using just a handful of the best cities and rotate them, instead of risking cold weather. Even just sticking to just a couple of best cities. New Orleans, Miami, San Diego, LA (when they get a team). Force feeding SB in cold cities is just a terrible idea. I would absolutely be against Pgh hosting one. Now, you want to hold a MLB all star game? Awesome. Pgh makes an ideal location for that.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    So should we extend that to all playoff games as well? Maybe all winter games?

Football should be played in the elements. Hell, if I had my say, domes would be banned. If a fan can't take the weather, he should stay home and let a real fan have his tickets. ;)

If a warm vacation is what a SB should be, why bother hosting it in different cities? They had an ice storm in Dallas prior to a SB. Just have it in Hawaii every year and be done with it.

Some of the most memorable games in NFL history were played in horrible weather. Superbowls miss out on that.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree.

Watching kickers dealing with the open end of the stadium would add a bit of extra interest to the SB proceedings...

8. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Is this place going to change its name to: "Strawmanfans.com?"

Just because I am in favor of the final game being in a warm weather city in no way implies that I feel all play off games should be in a warm city. That is preposterous and I never advocated that, ever. It never even crossed my mind. OBVIOUSLY, some great games have been in inclement weather, but so what? The SB should be in more ideal conditions on a neutral stadium. But the weather leading up to the SB can be a factor. Who wants to be "rewarded" by traveling to a SB where they weather is crappy? And, with your Hawaii comment - it doesn't hold water. HI is a beautiful place, but not really a party town. And as far as Dallas goes (if you actually read my post you would know this) I already stated that the "question mark" cities, such as Dallas (where there is still a chance for winter weather) might not be the greatest idea for SB hosting either. Like I said, no reason to stretch so hard for good SB sites, just stick to the ones where you KNOW are ideal for hosting, such as New Orleans, Miami, San Diego and LA. Hosting in winter cities is just a retarded idea. I live is shorts and sandals all year long, and would hate to have to don socks, boots, coats, etc.

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

For once I agree with you. I feel dirty....

[video=youtube;PN0XRkSyhwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0XRkSyhwM[/video]

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

And why is it preposterous? Aren't the playoffs a reward for a good year too? Should not the fans enjoy their team's playoff run in comfort? Where exactly is the line drawn? What makes the Superbowl so special?

It seems to me that either ALL NFL cities get a chance to host (assuming they have the infrastructure to support it), or NONE of them should.

So either cold weather stadiums too. Or a neutral site like Hawaii.

You Florida boys are so soft. :razz: Anything under 65 and you're whining. (I kid.)

And what would we do if it rained?!?!?! <shudder>

11. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    No, having spent time in North West PA, 65 degrees does not make me shudder. But I maintain that going to a SB should be like a vacation, and most people I know value warm weather in a celebratory event. I think the vast majority would agree. What is wrong with keeping the SB options among the very best cities to host? What is wrong with just keeping it to the very most ideal cities? New Orleans, is, by far, the best city, with Bourbon St., etc. Jacksonville is a bit sketchy, as the weather may or may not be warm in Jan. and their is not enough hotel rooms to contain the event. People had to get rooms an hour or two from the downtown area. That is no good. New Orleans, Miami, SD and LA could always be one of the cities. This crap with having it at New Jersey or MN is just not practical.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Except we already had one in north Jersey and Detroit. Game went off without a hitch.

Sure, there weren't as many outdoor parties. Yes, Detroit had some snow to remove. But the game itself was just fine. And you can have parties indoors.

13. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    For the ones against a Super Bowl in a Northern city, this kinda reminds me of this skit:

[video=youtube;3-TfZslHKoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-TfZslHKoo[/video]

14. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Any team would be happy to play in a Super Bowl no matter where it's played. There's not one team in the league that would say, "we don't want to go to the Super Bowl this year.. It's in pittsburgh" .. Pittsburgh is the Mecca of football. Why not have the biggest game of all played where football basically started? And Football is just like the mail service, rain sleet or snow, it's still going to happen. It's been that way forever. That's how it should be. Being in the Super Bowl is enough of a reward in itself. Idk, it can rain in the warm weather places where the stadiums are open..Like Miami, Tampa, etc.. And I'd rather see a game in the snow, than sit there and get soaked in the pouring rain. A guy at work argued with me that it wouldn't be fair to a warm weather city to have to deal with the snow in a cold weather city if it should snow.. Well than how's it fair for a team that plays half of its games in a dome in a season? They don't deal with any of elements. I agree with poster who would ban domes. Cuz they should. Football is an outdoor sport. That's how it should be played.. And pittsburgh would be a great place to host a Super Bowl. Why not let our kids in the area to enjoy the excitement.
    To get to go to the NFL play 60 tents and games they have. Not everyone can afford to fly to New Orleans, Arizona, Florida, or wherever. More exposure just means more fans in the long run.

15. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    fill him in that life isn't fair...

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It would be neat if Pgh got the Super Bowl. But, as the article says, there aren't enough hotel rooms. And it would be a classic example of city/county government economic lunacy to push the building of unneeded hotel space for a one time event.

I think a SB in Pitt would be hard to pull off in any case. There aren't enough attractions in the area, good restaurants, etc. Early Feb is the dreariest time of yr. The other cold weather cities NY, Det and Minn are bigger and had big time corp sponsors. You don't have the corporate HQs in Pitt, like you did one upon a time.

It would be nice to have a scaled down SB for the little guy. but that aint gonna happen anymore. You have to create an 'event', bigger than the last one. That's not the kind of thing that Pitt does well.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    10 years from now the SB probably won't even be about the actual football game from a sport perspective. It's borderline right now. It's become one giant circus. One day they will have an American Idol and the Voice competition in between 1st and 2nd, then 3rd and 4th qtrs.

News flash. The Hollywood elite don't like to be cold.

18. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    I know precisely what it means, but you might not since you can't see that it is occurring daily in here.

1. [h=3]Straw man - Definition and More from the Free Merriam ...[/h]www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straw%20man

Merriam‑Webster

Full Definition of STRAW MAN. 1 : a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted.

19. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    No one ever said they would. That was not the point.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm thinking of turning this into a drinking game every time "Straw Man" is posted.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I stand by what I said. I've seen too many people throw that term around loosely in various forums. Hint: it's not a get out of jail free card. And someone asking you to clarify your position or where you draw the line might be cheap. It might be facetious or sarcastic. But it isn't a strawman. ;)

22. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    That's not the point. How do you get to these indoor parties? Through the freezing cold. That is not a vacation to most of us. Hey, if you desire a Super Bowl in a cold city with snow, then you are cordially invited to go to every one of those. I will choose not to. I think the entire concept is absurd. If they wanted to try it once, just to see how it goes, fine. They have had 3-4 of them. A location such as New Orleans makes it much more fun for the majority of people. I got an idea: Why don't we have the next SB in Oslo. Why not? I would actually go to a city like that before I would go to Detroit on Jersey. At least there would be cool cultural trends to learn about. In Detroit, all you can learn is that city is wrecked and trashed. Oslo is probably really cool.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao: Now you're talking!

The event should be about the game. NOT tourism. IMHO, the game is sullied when the championship is kept away from one of the things that makes it compelling: coping with conditions.

Have the Pro Bowl in sunny places for tourists.

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not a lightweight, but I don't think I'd last. :shots:

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

How exactly has the game been sullied by the current SB format?

The most recent one was one hell of a football game. Were SB XL or SB XLiII any less meaningingful to you because of the spectacle?

Coping with conditions? When I first started watching football. Most teams shared their grass field with a baseball team. You had to cope with a dirt infield. The fields were mud pits in November due to college games, poor drainage, etc. The 3-0 MNF game vs Miami at Heinz was great example of coping with conditions. But I hear very few people arguing for a regular diet of it. Harrison and Polamalu's speed neutralized by slop. Antonio Brown slipping on his cuts. Great stuff.