1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NICKEL: 2015 steeler base defense!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Mar 28, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I'd love to see the steelers, in this pass happy league, deal with that the way Buddy Ryan dealt with it.
    Back in the 80's the league got pass happy, with Marino, Elway, Montana, Kelly, Air Coryell, and guys like Simms in NY, and Theismann in DC, Moon in Houston, and some other prolific slingers.

Ryan used a 4 man front, one or two LBs, and 5 or 6 DB's.

The 3 man front with an added edge rusher is only good if you have a Lloyd, Porter, Merriweather, or as in Ryans case, a Wilbur Marshall. YOU NEED AN EFFECTIVE EDGE RUSHER, A NON EFFECTIVE ONE IS A LIABILITY.

I'd like to see the steelers use a 4 man D-line, 2 Lb's , and 5 Db's as a base D.

And even employ some of LeBeaus zone blitz into it.

4 rushers get pressure easier than 3, and 5 DB's can cover better, and 2 LB's can shadow the RB or blitz one LB.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if only we had the dbacks :rolleyes:

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, with the CB's they have compared to the LB's. I'd rather see Timmons, Williams/Spence and Shazier out there.

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

and in response to buddy ryan, bill walsh gave birth to the west coast offense, which more than half the league uses now

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    SO

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Extra DBs only work if they can take on the receiving TEs. We have one DB who was once able to do that (Allen), and otherwise you need your speedy LBers on them.

I'd rather see more LBers out there, I think.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    vs the pats was working i remember a clowns with buddy ryan shut them down

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Bingo

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe the Zone blitz emerged as a response to Walsh's West Coast offense. So its kinda funny how we have to evolve away from that just to compete with the West Coast Style offense of today.

I believe the blame is the rule changes. I remember clear as day during the Woodson/Lake days we used the jam the hell out of receivers. The Cushion was more to throw QB's off from time to time.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

it has a ton to do with the rule changes. defenses are so strapped right now it's not funny. that's just how the league wants it.

it's also not just the rules but how each ref or group of refs see each play and how each calls penalties. there is no clear cut rules to follow for a d-back, just how a ref sees any given play and calls it. there is no consistency. it's the same for hitting a qb or hitting a receiver that drops his head at the last moment or defending he pass. it's almost getting to be a waste to spend big bucks on defense just to see a good play now gain a penalty. smart teams would just build they're offenses to score at will.:cool:

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

i tend to agree but is not worthless invest on defensive lineman they can distrupt the timing of the qb without hitting him ..

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hell, I would rather see Mike T, Coach Haley and You and Me .

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's a sad state of affairs. I agree with Belicheat who wants ALL penalties reviewed if in so the coach wants to. The death of Defense is the death of the NFL to me. They have Arena league for that. But that's the Liar Goodell and his henchmens new way to hype up the show and keep the fantasy football a comin. It's no longer just a game, it's a show. And there's gold in them thar stadiums. The rich get richer and the fan pays more. What's going to happen when the fantasy angle becomes a passing fad? It will. Keep screwing with the game and the game will suffer. Maybe not to the rich but to the real fan...and when the real fan goes away because they are tired of it and the lemmings are left and they get bored then watch.

14. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I was thinking, "If we only had their front 4." Clyde Simmons, Reggie White, Jerome Brown and Seth Joyner at OLB didn't hurt either.