1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

vince revisited

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    after seeing the workout pictures of JH and the group of LB'ers and the way Williams played last year, I'm still thinking VW might be an option at OLB. he sure looks strong enough to play a role and it could be a way to get him on the field more. I know I brought this up before but I thought he played pretty well last year over his rookie year (which wasn't bad either). he sure seems like he's working hard to get on the field more. (ala AB and beachum working their tails off to get better) any thoughts? :cool:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Was just reading a Dulac chat, in his opinion, he doesn't think he can.

IMO, we already know he's good on the inside, I say keep him there.

3. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    It is imperative that 3-4 OLB can be effective edge rushers. I don't see VW as EVER being able to do that. He is a plugger - kind of the exact opposite of an edge rusher. If we fail to get QB pressure (don't always need to make sacks, making the QB have to rush or move is often good enough) we can't be a contender. It's that simple. VW is not an option at OLB. Shazier, however, with his sub 4.4 speed, could be. And he played OLB sometimes at OSU.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've never seen anything to indicate that Vince can dip his shoulder and rush the arc around/under a left tackle. If all it took was beefing up, edge rushers would be a dime a dozen.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree with your assessment of VW. He is a two down ILB with some athletic limitations... Not an option at OLB. Shazier might be able to be an OLB because of how athletic he is, but I think that he is way better off inside. He played OLB in college, but that was in a 43 not in a 34.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think size and strength would limit what Shazier can do on the edge, especially setting the edge against the run. However when I watched his college tape there were a few times when did rush the passer from the outside, and he showed great burst and the ability to dip at a 45 degree angle and get right past a pass blocker. Put 15-20 more pounds of core and lower body power on Shazier, and he could be a really effective 34 OLB. He can run the arc.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Williams is a nice problem to have. Can step in and start. Solid. Maybe he should learn the ropes of an OLB. You never know what the season will bring but I believe his strength is inside. Timmons stepped in but really was a stop gap. This is Spence's last season under contract and he came on last season after a long road back to the field. Also a nice problem to have. ILB is set. Shazier will shine this season.

I'm curious to see what Shawn Lemon brings.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he may have to learn that but we have guys that can teach it. not all sacks come from around the arch either, that's just one tool in the toolbox of pass rushing. JH makes a pretty good living out of a bulrush and several moves using strength. vince also works off of blocks well which also helps. :cool:

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac, JH runs the arc as good as anyone. watch how he dips his shoulder and gets under the tackle at a 45 degree angle. Running the arc is about strength (more lower than upper body) quickness and body control.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea and it's been limited over the years by his knee trouble. he still uses the bull rush and the double move to perfection also. that's what makes a good pass rusher a variation of moves. push-pulls, swims all are part of good pass rushing and use strength. VW has strength and his pursuit has always been decent. I just think it's a waste having him sit on the bench when we could use some good backups on the outside. moats plays both and I think vince could as well. doing so also saves a roster spot on game day.:cool:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like your out of the box thinking Mac, there are more than one way to skin a cat especially if VW
    has shown an interest in learning a new position?
    I especially like the idea of saving a roster spot.

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's worth a look and see. Just because he could be waist sitting on the sidelines, along with having no depth at OLB. His play in the middle has surprised us. He seems to get better every year.

13. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Again, VW is a plugger; that's what he does. And those are not the traits of an edge rusher, which our 3-4 desperately needs at OLB. If not, our whole D is FAIL.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, Vince is good where he is, leave him there, not like he wont see the field.

Turn to the draft for a pass rusher and hope JJ turns out to be something.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I concur.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    When I went to camp last season, Vince was competing big time, with a lot of fire an passion. He stood out from the rest for sure.

You can tell he loves football and wants to be on the field, and he was also probably ticked off about being demoted for Shazier.

I hope they can find a spot for him in this defense. I think he would be awesome on the goal line defense.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    these guys are world class athletes. i have coached enough football to know guys can play all kinds of positions given the chance. VW made some big strides last year with his play from year one and i can't believe he couldn't play some backup OLB for this team if needed. who knew harrison would have played like he did until they finally gave him the chance to do it. nobody knew he would have been this good. it's a shame to keep good talent on the bench.:cool:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    These are world class athletes capable with coaching to play multiple positions, he should be given the shot to compete.