1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"UNOFFICIAL" Troy Rumor...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Press conference set for 1:00pm today to announce his decision...has anyone heard anything about this?

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I saw a blurb about this, but I haven't heard it from any credible sources. I think if there was a press conference set, it would be blowing up Twitter right now.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    No but if it is a PC sounds like he is going to retire, That would be the only reason to have one IMO

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  5. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    "I have decided to take my talents to South-Nashville" -Polamalu

6. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Well 1:00 has come and gone. No word. Nothing out there. Reading the tea leaves, it's obvious he won't be back as a Steeler, whether he retires or not. Just look at how the team responds to questions on this. If he was coming back they'd be far less cryptic. They are playing the PR spin again.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just of curiosity, where did you hear this?

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Someone in SteelCity Mafia facebook group posted something about it

9. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    So, I looked back at the original "Does Troy Play One More Year" thread,

And never saw a link to whatever happened, that led to this speculation...

I forgot to ask about it in that thread, so, I`m asking now...

What did I miss, that leads everyone to wonder whether he`ll be back next year?

Aside from his play on the field, of course...

I thought he was still under contract, for this season, and I am unaware of any discussions between the team, and him, where they said they could do without his services..

Obviously, I missed something...

Can anyone tell me what I missed, please?

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the link, Fontana...

This seems to be a LOT of speculation, based on a 2 sentence statement, but I can see why...

Given the nature of "contracts" in the NFL, nowadays...

I naiively believed, that since we had him under "contract", for 2015, he would be back..

Must not be a "guaranteed" contract, or sumthin...

I hope he chooses to retire, but whatever he chooses to do, more power to him...

To me, he will always be the one of the best safeties we have ever had, among the likes of Donnie Shell...

But, every player`s time comes, and I think this is his...

I Hope it goes down classier, than the Organization saying he "retires", and he plays somewhere else...

GO STEELERS

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure about the Link Bleed but there were several stories by beat writers some good some bad that cited unnamed sources that said the team was hoping that Troy would retire and save the embarrassing situation of cutting a fan favorite and that the team had informed him that their plans for the upcoming season didn't include him at this time. Now they could have changed their minds, Troy could have agreed to basically play for peanuts and they are finessing the numbers right now, Troy could be completely in the dark about it but Colbert's statement is accurate there is no news beyond speculation.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    there are two problems about Troy ,one is his salary but the most important is that last season seems his presence on the field was hurting the team more than helping .. i have his jersey on my wall ,i love Troy , but right now the choice is simple let him go and thank him for everythings

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The third problem or slight inconvenience freak is the Rooney's saying publicly when they gave Troy the extension was they wanted him to retire a Steeler which is why it was a larger contract and now because of bad deals to others they are in this boat of hoping he retires so they don't have to seem like a cold business type of franchise.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't think they really care they said he would retire a steelers. Would they like him to sure but I doubt them saying that holds any weight when he is clearly done. What if he feels he can play for two more years? I think if they feel he is done and he feels he can still play they will tell him good luck and give us a call when you are ready to retire.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if they sayd to him that is not in their plans ,i think Troy should decide between retyre or ask to be cut

17. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    LeBeau may want him. The Titan's SS is even older than Troy.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Troy will retire a Steelers even if he goes to Nashville for a year. Off the books is what needs to happen. Money to keep Heyward. Troy is a Hall Of Famer in the waiting.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Question for those who have delved into the most recent CBA- if Troy retires and pays back any bonus dollars, does the amount paid back come off of his cap charge?

20. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I think it would be added to next years cap ... but I'm not sure about that.

But the Steelers won't take a dime from him, especially after nudging him out the door.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Troy Polamalu is due to count more than $8 million against the salary cap for thePittsburgh Steelers in 2015, but things would be much cleaner if the safety just retired. That's what the team is hoping for, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    Polamalu, 33, finished his 12th season with the Steelers in 2014, but his play has dropped off in recent seasons. After eight Pro Bowl seasons and four first-team All-Pro nods, Polamalu is not worth keeping on the roster with more than $16 million worth of cap hits on the way for Pittsburgh in the next two seasons.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    When it says "that's what the team is hoping for", I can't help thinking that the next time Troy visits Colbert's office will look like this:

[video=youtube;PJtBaj5dXfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJtBaj5dXfU[/video]

23. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Much funnier than SNL ... and they didn't drag the skit out for 5 loooooong minutes.