1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Harrison sounds less than thrilled to be back with the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 25, 2015.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd be interested in hearing everyone's take on this. I guess I understand somewhat what JH is saying, but it would be nice if he came across as being a little happier to be back with the Steelers. And what are your thoughts on the lovefest James obviously has with LeBeau? Do you think that kind of closeness could be unhealthy in some ways? Could it cloud your judgment as a coach and/or a player? Curious about everyone's takeaway from the article.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8037860-74/tomlin-harrison-steelers#axzz3VS1nC26X

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he's thrilled to be back, he just didn't want to let the old man down. Seriously Jack, you're reading too deep into the tea leaves :lolol:

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think its more of an expression of disappointment in not being with DL than it is a comment on choosing the Steelers over the Titans. I'm sure he is very happy to be back with the Steelers and if it went the other way, he would be talking the same way about missing the Steelers.

His relationship with DL has no effect on either of their abilities, etc. imo.

4. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Meh, I understand the loyalty to Dick Lebeau. He had an equal offer to the Steelers' in a state with no income tax. If he really didn't want to be here he could have moved and he talked about his legacy being as a Steeler so I don't read too much into it. With his nature I am sure that any misgivings will clear up when the pads are on and the ball is snapped.

5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It's the off-season, Blast. We've got to talk about something! :lolol:

6. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what happens when a player is honest with the media...

Do you expect him to say he didn`t care about LeBeau, when he has been on record as saying he loves him as coach?

Did he use it as leverage, in a contract negotiation?

Probably....

Either way, I`m glad he`s back. "Second string", or not...

Myronwemissyinz, probably is not...LOL...:roflmao:

GO STEELERS!

Edit...

And as to "lovefests"...

I`ve heard some say that it was "unhealthy", for Ben and Arians to be so "close"...

I don`t miss Bruce, but he seems to be doing ok, on his own.. ;)

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    No shock...a lot of these "old timers" love DL (and they love the Steelers also)...I would be shocked if he DIDNT say something like he did.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    was a classy speach to say good bye to lebeau

9. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Agreed.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think it's any different than ben being disappointed when BA was let go. the only difference is JH has been coached by butler all these years too. it's not a complete stranger to buy in to. I believe there is some loyalty to butler too. :cool:

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Good to see that he has such devotion for DL. I don't mind it one bit. Certainly wont affect his play.

Good to have him back

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    So you mean to tell me you never grew close to anybody you worked with for almost 10 years?

Come on man!!!!

13. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand how close DL and Harrison are. DL stuck his neck out for JH and gave him an opportunity when no one else would. I get the love fest.. But don't forget that JH also left DL himself when he refused to take a pay cut and went to the bengals instead.. (Where he made less money that year than he would have if he just took the pay cut the steelers asked him to take)..

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Deebo is probably PO'd that Keith Butler can't deliver the "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the same sincerity that LeBeau did.

15. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I find zero negative about his comments. He loved DL to the point of coming to tears when he spoke about him when he was in Cinci. He is passionate, which is a big part of what makes him great. Also, he is fueled by anger, so he finds ways to get angry at just about anything. Remember him on Hard Knocks? He was so angry at those camera guys, just because.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, ditto all of the above.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, first of all the point I made above was that James didn't seem thrilled to get back with the Steelers and I stand by that. He said the Steelers offer was exactly the same as the Titans offer and the differentiator was that he didn't want to uproot his family. That's fine, that makes good sense on a business and personal level. I just would have liked to have seen more "I love this organization and consider it the best franchise in football and I'm ready to help lead us to number 7!" instead of "the only reason I'm still here is because I made a business decision and would have gone elsewhere in a nanosecond for a little more money". But, hey, I'm a fan and that probably taints my thinking a bit on these kinds of "business" matters. Like most fans, I want my favorite players to say they'd play for my favorite team for free but I know it's all business in the NFL these days. :smiley1:

As for your question, of course you can get attached to people you work with. Where did I lead you to believe that I felt otherwise? I asked several questions above and was hoping it would generate some conversation about whether or not it's generally a good idea for coaches and players to form a mutual admiration society and if there could be a possibility that it might bias a coach in some way, i.e. hanging on to a player with diminishing physical ability longer than you should because you have a special affinity for said player. Was hoping to generate discussion, not accusatory questions in return? :shrug:

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL!!! Not many could... those were priceless...
    Any idea where to link to that, for those who never saw the clip?
    I know it was on the Steelers official page a few years ago, but I would have no idea where to start digging/searching...

Welcome back James!:applaud:

GO STEELERS!

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    OH conture (French aint so great) Bleed. The ONLY thing I had against JH was his leaving after turning down a FAIR offer than wanting back in after not getting what he thought he was worth. After a year with the Bengals he decided to come home at a more reasonable price. He played well and should be rewarded with a new contract.Which he was.I wish nothing but the best for JH!!

21. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I love the pitbull though after reading the article IMO if it were not for the "inconvenience factors" ref. home 20 roots- family along with the no advantage salary he would have followed Dick. That being said, it was a no- brainer for the decision. The future topic may come as.. "IF" his performance drops during the season will it be contributed as physical or mental. Surely we hope the beat goes on and Harrison cope's well with the Lebeau transition . :smiley1: