1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I gotta tell ya, I'm impressed by Tajh Boyd.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Mar 25, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I was studying Tajh Boyd, and I was really impressed.

He isnt a pocket passer so much, more of a Roethlisberger type.

I kept trying to find a reason to not like him, and it only made me like the playa more.

The thing is, if Ben goes down with a season ender, what do we do then? We need a guy who can step in and make plays, and I think this Tajh Boyd guy can do it, so I hope he gets a chance to show what he can do with the first team offense.

On another note:

I wish Troy would have retired and forced the Steelers hand to replace him this year. They might have gone after Dashon Goldson and got him for less than they are paying Troy.

And finally, I JUST LOOKED AT THE LATEST MOCK DRAFTS, AND I'M SHOCKED, SHOCKED, SHOCKED, TO SEE THAT THE DRAFT GURUS HAVE MELVIN GORDON GOING IN THE SECOND ROUND.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE, BUT I THINK GORDON IS A TOP 3 PICK. [Eric Dickerson type].

I think a Melvin Gordon / LeVeon Bell tandem would be fantastic, with each getting about 20 touches a game, maybe more, because youd have more first downs.

The passing game could revolve around TE Heath Miller, WR Antonio Brown, and Wheaton or Bryant.
    With a tandem like Gordon and Bell in the backfield, the opposing defense would bring a safety up, and leave themselves vulnerable to getting burned by maybe Brown and Wheaton deep.

If Gordon is there at pick 22, I hope the steelers remember what happened when Bell went down in the playoffs.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Boyd is no better than Landry and taking a RB in the first is the worst possible pick they could ever make.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I hope that is sarcasm even thinking about a running back in the 1st round. Bell/Williams/Harris sounds good to me.
    Boyd will be competing with Jones for the 3rd spot. Nothing more.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Unfortunately its not...i remember seeing another post or 2 saying they need to take Gordon and such. Not sure if "guru" should be allowed in their name, haha!

5. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Exactly. I swear some posters are pulling our legs with some of these comments. Taking a RB in the 1st would make as much sense as taking a QB in the 1st. It is _THAT_ retarded. It's not like we aren't DESPERATE at CB, S and OLB or anything.

6. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    Knowing what you know now, would you take Eric Dickerson in the first round of the draft if he was available today?

When i watch Gordon, I see Dickerson. The whole league has sold out to stopping the pass nowadays.

With a 2 back set of Bell and Gordon, you would get some long drives and work the clock at will.

A safety would have to come up, and free up Brown from doubles.

And if Troy would retire, and the Steelers grab Goldson, you solved a problem at safety, and a quality DB can be had in the 2nd 3rd or 4th round.

7. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    I keep looking at Boyd, and I keep liking the things he does.
    I'm convinced he is the QB of the steeler future.
    He really throws a nice ball, and he is elusive, and amazingly accurate.
    this guy is gonna be a star.

8. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure why a team has more than one backup QB. If both your starter and the first backup go down you're screwed anyway. Might as well use that roster spot for someone who can help the team week in and week out. If a team does happen to lose 2 QB's, wouldn't it be just as good to pick up a veteran QB who is sitting at home?

9. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    I hope Boyd wins the backup spot, and they Practice Squad Landry Jones.
    If Ben gets hurt, with Boyd backing him up, Ben might lose his job. Happened to Bledsoe.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

excuse me GURU ..where do you spring from ?

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :facepalm: Ben would have to get hurt to the point that, God forbid, he's totally incapacitated to lose his job to anybody. Boyd/Ben is not Brady/Bledsoe in the making.

12. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    As a Gamecock fan, I can't help but :roflmao:

Boyd curled up like a little girl every time he faced Clowney, who was one single player on a college team. Boyd won't amount to squat against NFL defenses, as the NY Jets have already realized...

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Boyd was as good as you seem to think he is, he wouldn't of been available. Even the QB poor Jets didn't keep him on their practice squad. Draft Gordon give me a break :facepalm:, there's a long list of Wisconsin RBs that have been busts in the NFL.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

[​IMG]

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :lolol::roflmao:

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    ^ eeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxactly!

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    There's a method to my madness for passing on him at #17 in our mock

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Quite frankly, I'm trying to understand the absolute huge hatred for Landry Jones by the Steelers fan base. It's like he pulled a Hueshmanzada and wiped his feet with the terrible towel the second he stepped into camp. I'm certain he's not the absolute worst QB in the league of back ups out there but for some reason Steelers fans think if he ever gets his hands dirty during actual playing time that he will become a resurection of Mark Malone. I'd love to see him elevate his game, become the legitimate back up and leave egg all over everyones faces. Jeez, Even Tim Tebow beat us in the playoffs.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think the landry jones hate come because he costed a 4th round pick

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He didn't ask to be the much maligned 4th round pick. Shouldn't the hatred be directed at Colbert? Jones may or may not develop into an adequate quarterback but some of the vitriol for him around here is ridiculous. By all accounts he's a good kid who just wants to make it in the NFL. I personally hope he can and I'm rooting for him.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Sepulveda didn't even get this much hatred and he was a PUNTER that was selected in the 4th.:facepalm:

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes but at that time we thought sepuvelda was an hell of kicker , when we understood he was not he started to be hated too .

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't hate Landry Jones at all. Now that he's a Steeler, I want him to be great. However, I remain firmly in the camp that believes that the timing and way we acquired him was a poor decision.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [video=youtube;Ubw5N8iVDHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI[/video]