1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Borland retiring after only one season

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Big_Gayme_Al, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Big_Gayme_Al

Big_Gayme_Al Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Here is an excerpt of the espn story:

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.
    Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.
    "I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Don't kno why kids dont think abt this b4 they decide to play in nfl? i guess play make 80-100.000 fist year then retire.. lol

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's why in a nutshell. Let's see, he knew about this coming through college (no way he didn't even hear a peep), now he gets the signing bonus and a decent first year salary to set up his real career intentions.

That was my first thought. Why wouldn't you take a spin, get the money and then walk away with that on your resume?

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    From the article on the NFL's website he says he has had two concussions that he knows of one as a young kid playing soccer, one in high school football and he thinks he sustained one during training camp but he kept quiet about it because he was trying to make the team. Sounds to me like he may have suffered one and had lasting affects throughout the season that may have compounded with repeated hits and it scared him. To be honest hearing stories like what happened to Troy Akiman where he kept forgetting a playoff game every few minutes, that would scare me too. My brother in law doesn't remember a high school football game and would have been seriously hurt had his dad not pulled the coach to the side and tell him to pull my brother in law. I am sure this scared him pretty bad to say he was done.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm already tired of this story, This kid will make 100.000's of dollars be it talkshows, interviews, whatever over this. b4 it goes away... He is no longer playing. time to move on IMO

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    surprising though... going into his 2nd yr., and was primed to take over for the surprising retirement of Patrick willis..
    kid had a bright future ahead...... this rash of early retirements is fairly shocking

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Wonder how Goodell is gonna spin this?

After all, it is hurting the public perception of the multi-billion dollar industry he is in charge of...:shrug:

Just sayin...

I love the game, and would let my kid play it, but, this is sure looking like bad P.R. for the league...

I think this is the 3d young player in the last 3 weeks, to step away with his millions?

Isn`t Rodger`s job, to ensure the league continues?

Personally, I think there are risks to playing the game, and eveyone playing it, understands those risks...

Nobody is FORCED to play the game.

However, in our society today, very few people want to take responsibility for their own actions/decisions...

They would rather sue a company/ institution/ league, and try to get rich in the courts...

That`s the new "American Dream"... Give me my "lottery ticket", in a big court case...

Methinx Ole Rodger might have his hands full with more than he bargained for...

And it`s a shame,

Because I hate what he`s done to the game, but, this might, ultimately be why he`s done it..

Gotta appear responsible, in court...

Damn, What happened to just Knockin heads, and let the toughest man win???

Guess I`m old... Damnit:shrug:

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently the kid did not love the game of football. To each his own.