1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This year's Brice McCain

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Who do you think the Steelers can realistically target in free agency this year who will outperform your expectations the way McCain did last season? I mean someone who seems like a second or third tier free agent signing but may surprise you.

I'm thinking:
    CB Chris Cook (off-field issues I think, but I remember really liking him prior to his draft)
    CB Kyle Wilson (former first-rounder who may come alive under Lake's tuteledge)

2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Safety possibilities:

Nate Allen
    Chris Prosinski

I remember liking both these guys before their respective drafts.

3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you guys thinking we will pick up a CB in FA and not in the draft?

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd be surprised if they didn't do both. Pick up some young-ish vets for cheap, then look for the future in the early rounds of the draft. I still think they go S higher than CB though.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed. The normal Steelers MO is to fill in with FA's so they don't have to reach in the draft, then take BPA. Unfortunately, FA CBs tend to be over priced, so even if they do sign a FA CB, it will be a low rent one, and I don't see any of us getting too excited.

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I definitely think they will do both. That's why I was wondering who you guys thought the second or third-tier FA corner or safety they sign might be.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Is Brice McCain...

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd say blake and McCain fit the bill of 2nd tier players. we have a whole roster full of futures signed players that could fit that billing also. that's not really the players we need signed. we need some quality proven players signed. :cool:

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Trent Cole. Yes, he's older, but this team DESPERATELY needs some type of pass rusher. His 6.5 last year is only one sack off from the co-team leaders, one of which isn't even under contract. I think Cole could be had for a reasonable contract, although I wouldn't get in a bidding war over him.

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I would rather draft in later rounds for DB's I also would put Shamarko in Troy's spot. Draft a rookie SS and who ever starts starts, the other will be a backup

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Blake is pretty serviceable on ST as well. I think McCain has good hands and he seems to really play with heart. I don't think he's a future Hall of Famer or anything but I like him.

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You want a SS early? I wasn't really sure if you meant you'd take like a corner later and get a SS early to compete against Thomas. If there was a "Troy" type of player there early I wouldn't care if they took him first. Although I doubt we'll ever see another Troy. I have no hard feelings against the man and he's one of my all time favorite players but every dog has their day ya know? I think his is clearly past. If we can't get another Troy I would settle for the "next" Ed Reed. He's the only rat I ever respected and I'd love for us to have a guy with a mind for the game like he had.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think I'd go with Cole. His best days came as an end in a 4-3, and are a few years in the past. Harrison did just about as much last year in 11 games with 4 starts as Cole did in 16 starts. As an inexpensive short term OLB I would just bring Harrison back.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I like Coles game but he is more suited to a 4-3 and is a bit long in the tooth.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who the heck is Chris Prosinski?

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe he is a vodka distiller. You have never heard of Prosinski Vodka?