1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell Rips Kipper and Mcshey

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Why does he care? Teams don't draft based off of Kiper's and McShay's evaluations.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Don't know, not sure why he is so bent out of shape about it at this point. Maybe he feels that it knocked him out of the first rd but the Steelers never would have taken him there so he should be grateful. With the new rookie contracts, would going in the first make that much of a difference now?

5. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    So have I. But as inconsistent as he is at it, it seems he's the only guy we have that can do it at all.

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    bell isn't saying anything that a bunch of us haven't already said about a million times over on this board, but ultimately, he's just coming to the defense of one of his former teammates

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm glad he went after Mayock. That dude just naturally gets under my skin. I hate listening to him call a game because it seems like he has to tell how he "rated" every guy that makes a dang tackle or whatever else.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mayock is a former Steeler, although not for long. I like him and feel that his analysis is generally spot on.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah he knows his college stuff for sure. I just don't like his NFL analysis.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was wrong about Bell as well. I'm glad the team pulled the trigger in the 2nd. I would have taken Keenan Allen. He's a good player, but he's no Bell.

However, in defense of myself and draft "analysts" like Mayock and company, the Bell that was evaluated leading into the draft was the 240+ lb. Bell that was a step slower than he is now and didn't run all that physical for a 240+ pounder. If he had played his last season in college at his current svelte game weight (with the improved quickness that's allowed for), he might have been considered a 1st round prospect.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    These experts and I use the term loosely are like weather forecasters as far as knowing where any player is going to wind up. I don't listen to any of them. Talking heads. And Mayock erks me as well calling games.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've came to the conclusion that being a meteorologist is the easiest and most overrated job in the world. Basically you just say "well there's a chance for rain tomorrow". Ok. I know that already. Then when it doesn't rain you just say "I only said there's a CHANCE that it might rain". You can't lose. LOL. Also what's weird to me is why do all these draft analysts even exist? I mean are they merely around for entertainment value? They aren't a part of any franchise and they aren't in the war room with the team. What is even the point of them really? I mean do scouts and GM's set down and say "well I like this guy and think he's a good fit but Mayock said he's probably not good" and then the GM says "well then we will pick who Mayock or Kiper thinks we should take". I just think it's odd that they even exist.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    heck I don't think half of them look outside BFT.:lolol::cool:

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Simply supply and demand. If nobody ever watched meteorologist then there would be no reason to employ them. I'm certain supermarkets have a large interest in them though. Whenever they predict bad weather, those stores double or even triple their sales from a panicked public.

Mayock and Kiper are simply filling a need. The need for the draft geek to sit extensively and watch an opinion. If nobody watched then there would be no need to employ him. He would have to go get a real job.

My wife was complaining about new bathing suit prices the other day and how expensive they have now become. Simply supply and demand. Especially this time of year. My response to her was what is wrong with last years model? I've had the same bathing suit for over a decade but then again I'm not into the latest greatest fashions.

Whats more puzzling to me is why athletes and stars feel the need to express their immediate thoughts onto twitter. How did that work out for Mendenhall?

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I feel the same about weather men and grocery stores. I also feel the same about twitter and famous people. My buddy told me I could "follow" certain comic book creators on there but I just didn't really understand how it worked and now I don't even have it on my new phone. A lot of social media to me is just people looking for attention. I actually get ticked when people's "tweets" become "news". Who gives a crap what some actor said about another actor? I would love to know if what Mayock or any like him says has any impact at all on our draft plans. If these guys are really such geniuses why aren't they GM's building constant SB rosters?

16. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Hopeful fans want to be fed draft information. The teams aren't giving them anything, so those guys get paid to do it.

17. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    These guys may be morons, but it wasn't them drafting Ricardo Colclough or Alonzo Jackson. They hit and miss just like the guys that do it for real.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What happened to the "We should have drafted Eddie Lacy" posts?

I like Bell's command of the english language: "dude be wrong with just about everything"

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And I'm thinking many of us would take that job.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    How often do they hit and miss though? Also how did they rate those guys? Wasn't Sweed pretty highly rated as well. I think their biggest misses are the big name dudes that don't live up to the hype. However, they also let guys like AB make it deep in to the draft and would you count that as a miss also?

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll give some credit to Kiper though. The guy was doing it back in the day when no one else was. He definitely was the front runner. Now look at the craziness!!