1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Delaying cutting Troy not doing anyone any favors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lloyddestroy, Mar 3, 2015.

1. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    They need to cut him now and not tap dance on this.

He actually makes the D worse when he is on the field, so why not cut him now? Why wait?

There aren't any gray areas on this one. The guy's man lover is gone, just make a clean break already.

When he was on the field, the D was worse. Having him in there was like playing 10 on 11. Stop the indecisiveness.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they can save something like 6 million if they wait until after June 1st. If they cut him now, its in the ball park of 3 million. I think, not positive.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    my guess is they will wait to see what he wants to do. if he wants one more year my bet is they will restructure and give it to him

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with indecisiveness, organizational arrogance, or any other nonsense. The NFL league year doesn't begin until 3/10 at 4pm. If they want to designate him as a June 1 cut then they have to wait until then. Making him a June 1 cut makes sense from a fiscal standpoint. THere's also the possibility that Troy might just want to retire. I'm sure the Steelers are willing to let one of their all time greats the leeway to do that.

5. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Oh, now that explains it. I heard they would save $3.5 mill if they cut him now, but I hadn't seen any mention of saving 6 mill after June 1, but if so, that explains it.

6. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    According to Ike, Troy has no desire to retire and plans - and is training - to keep playing. You always want to treat your past greats with as much respect as possible, but not at the expense of team success, which is why they had to dump Dick, regardless of how much they respect him. Same thing with Troy; him staying on this roster would hurt the team. No one is bigger than the team. No one. If Troy remains defiant on wanting to still play, it can't be in Pgh. He is just too much of a detriment when on the field.

7. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    So, they would be willing to lose games just to make Troy happy? Wow. That would be a colossal F up.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That surprises you? This is a front office and coaching staff that had no backup plan for cutting Blunt and Bell getting hurt. The same one who let a hobbled ineffective Ben play against the 49ers and cost the team the division, a home playoff game and led to the Tebowing in the playoffs all because they couldn't tell their great QB you are too hurt to play and it surprises you that they will allow Troy to call his own retirement? The Rooney have said repeatedly that Troy will retire a Steeler so the belief you have that they will cut him seems premature.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Who were they supposed to get? Tate wasn't available until we picked him up. Everyone else was a sack of potatoes, you cant just throw a sack of potatoes in the backfield and make the defense honest, oh look, a sack of potatoes, we better concern ourselves with that.

In regards to Ben, how do you know they automatically win if they played Batch or Lefty? No top QB would have been sat down because even hobbled they offer the best chance to win. I suppose thats open for discussion but drawing the conclusion that they win if Ben sits, win the division and avoid losing to Denver is a gigantic leap.

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    no that is not what that means. if u think troy is bad, then explain how bad we were when his backup was in there. the replacement for him is not currently on the roster. Thomas cant get out of the tub

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It doesn't really matter what Ike says. Troy made it very clear in his last interview he didn't know what was going to happen. He's going to go and train just like he has in the past and then make a decision. In turn the Steelers are going to make a decision. Although, it's quite possible the Steelers have already done so. Even if they've already decided to move on from Troy releasing him now does absolutely no good.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    doesn't all his money count if he retires?:cool:

13. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Ike didn't just say he "thinks" TP wants to still play, he said TP TOLD HIM he planned on playing.

14. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Well, you have a point: They did allow the antiquated LeBeau and Troy man love feast to continue last year, and that was already 2 years too late.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You might want to listen to the interview again.

“Troy’s training. Troy’s got his own thing going; he’s going to be ready. I hope he’s playing in Pittsburgh.”

16. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    OK, then. To me that sounds like TP wants to keep playing, call me crazy.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

There's one problem with the part you pasted, particularly what you highlighted in green. It's not a freaking quote. Maybe you missed this in your formative years, but quotes are indicated by the use of quotation marks. Funny how that works.

Since it's already been spelled out for you why they don't need to cut him now. Try to remember that the Steelers have no problems parting ways with players that have gotten up there in age or are too expensive for their performance. A few recent examples

Harrison
    Ward
    Woodley

And here is what Rooney had to say about Troy and a few others 1/21/2015

"We'll be having conversations internally," Rooney said Wednesday at Steelers headquarters. "We'll have conversations with each of those players and others about what they want to do and whether they'll fit into the plans for next year. There's a lot of discussions to be had in terms of the next few weeks and months."

18. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Well, I appreciate your smart arse attitude and all, but I got plenty of examples of them NOT cutting players prior to them stinking.

Kordell
    Kirkland - after he got too fat
    Brent Alexander
    Gildon - once he started titty fighting
    Dwayne Washington
    Colon
    Kemo
    Troy Edwards
    Jim Miller
    Kent Graham
    Kendell Simmons
    Chad Scott - after he got hurt and stunk ever since
    Tommy Maddox

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Blast the essence of his post was that in order to make Troy happy they would be willing to lose games. The two examples I cited are ones where questionable decisions showed that winning games isn't always the deciding factor in the process. I am not saying there was better than Tate out there or that keeping Blunt was a viable option, I think the end result shows that they weren't prepared.

As to the Ben playing, would playing Batch because remember Lefty was hurt as well mean an automatic win? No nothing is automatic in this league however lets look at the situation both from a player standpoint and a standings one. Any other type of injury I would whole heartedly agree that Ben gave them the best chance at winning against the Niners. Shoulder, nose, concussion, sternum, wrist, forearm, hammy, tweaked ankle, yep Ben can play through and give them the best shot at winning. The injury he had though it was apparent from the start he had zero mobility, none, he was a sitting duck. In that respect Batch is better because he had more of a range of motion, and could at least move in the pocket, take snaps under center, and make the defense play them honest. In that regard the Niners knew Ben was hobbled, taking snaps out of the shotgun only and came after him. The result is what it is, they lost the game, was it because Ben played? probably not but it sure didn't help that they were forced to play less than half the playbook.

In the standing a win puts them in front of the division with the easier schedule and a shot at hosting a home playoff game. The lose means going on the road and potentially playing in Denver where Ryan Clark can't play and the statistical fact that they have never won when Clark didn't play. Now if you are the guys making the hard choices for the Steelers do you allow Ben to take the field knowing his range of motion is severely limited and the chances of winning are less than if you put the ball in Batch's hands and trust that he manages the game, and the defense keeps it close so you can have a shot of winning. Ben is going to say he can go no matter what, he is a fierce competitor we know this, but the powers that be need to have more than that in mind to make a decision. In this case no one wanted to tell Ben he couldn't go and those same guys are still in charge. That was my point.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Troy Edwards 3 years, Miller 2 years, Graham 1 year....

You really are grasping at straws with that post. Although, as it stands that appears to be your method. Throw a whole bunch of crap at the wall and see what sticks.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Gee, no 'let's make sure Troy retires a Steeler' comments on this thread?

i think Troy is done. But if he wants to play in '15, and takes a big pay cut, I'm betting they have him back. Loyalty is admirable in a lot of ways, but this one aspect of the Stiller Way has its down side.

22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Guy is not a real Steeler...Cut the bum!

HACK

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually think Troy would still make a good nickle back, he just can't be the SS anymore. Not enough speed to run around like he used to. But if he stayed deep, he could still be usefull. Or as good as any nickle back we have. It would have to be at a reasonable salary.

I thought Troy's wife didn't want him to play anymore?

24. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    They can announce they will cut him after June 1st as of next week. The money that will free up can also be used ASAP once free agency begins if I remember correctly? They would only owe him 3 mil this year and next year he will count 2.5mil against the cap? Gonna just say that TP won't be back here. That 6 mil will be earmarked for a player or two, but she won't be around. TP will go go down as one of the greatest but his time has come.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Does anyone agree with me that it's a bit of a leap to assume we are better without him? Why is everyone acting like this is established fact? He has declined, no question, and I don't want to pay him $6M (although he is definitely one guy who has earned more than he's made, because the market never dictated he be paid as much as he really brought to our team), but just because he's mortal now doesn't mean he stinks. People are riding him now, but they were riding him in 2012 too, when he was still playing great, because Warren Sapp told them to. Then he played great in 2013. No, I don't see him on the upswing, but I think a player as brilliant as him can still be a very effective player, if he changes his game a little. He's not even noticeably slow.

I want to see Shamarko too, but I don't think we need to cut Troy to do that. I think we are better with Troy on the team, and I hope he plays for the Steelers in 2015.