1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Woodly cut?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Coastal Steeler, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Just saw the crawler on Mike & Mike. Raiders released Woodly

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That "crawler" was actually Woodley. His hammies are completely shot and that's all he can do now, crawl. Sad.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I really hate this because he seemed to have so much potential and DEFINITELY helped us win one and get to another. I just don't think he had the heart and soul to go the distance. I'm sure the millions of dollars we are still giving him probably helps though. LOL.

5. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I always hated when the Steelers gave Woodley the big contract. I always thought of him as a one trick pony. Good bull rush guy - but was never very good against the run (he averaged about 60% to 66% of the tackles in a season that Harrison would get). My problem in him getting the contract was he wasn't a complete player the way Harrison was.

But....if the guy shows some care about getting in better shape I would be completely fine with the Steelers giving him a look because it is possible you could pay this guy a dirt cheap salary, give him a pittance for a signing bonus, and possibly have him be a transition guy to your future draft pick.

One thing for Woodley to think about - this is his last chance at having some type of career in the NFL, if he wants any hope of getting some type of decent contract for another 2 or 3 years he needs to perform this next year - and I am sure he knows an organization like the Steelers would be a better fit for him.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    My thing about him is that if he wouldn't get in shape for a boatload of money why would he do it for the minimum ya know? Besides, he's getting 8.5mil this year anyway right?

7. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Another retarded Raider move; why sign a guy to a big deal who got fat and lazy from his last big deal? I wouldn't have wanted him for league minimum. He had his decent couple of years and that was it. When he started showing up looking like Hampton, they should have got a clue.

8. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I agree w/you. I guess your hope is that seeing the end of your career possibly right in front of you may be a big motivator. If the Steelers are not a player in free agency for a pass rusher then you got to feel they may try to draft someone and that would possibly imply further interest in someone like Harrison and/or Woodley may come into play.

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Why is this in "Steelers Talk," Hmmm?

:club:

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Woodley's demise happened when the Raiders coach bought into the whole played out of position myth and allowed him to put on weight(not muscle mass) and let him play with his hand in the dirt. I think had he stayed close to his weight while a Steeler and played OLB his numbers would have been better, not steller but better. Combine that with how the Raiders mismanaged their team and brought in lots of high priced talent that didn't mesh with the system and you see the result.

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, I think he was a beast and should have been able to go the distance in this league as one the truly great, Steeler greats. I guess I'm the only one that just didn't see this coming until it did.

Major disappointment with this guy for me.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that in his prime, the Woodley/Harrison tandem was lethal. I also don't agree with Steel_in_DC that he was a one-trick pony, or at least he had all the skills to be a better all-rounder. When he was hungry, he was tremendous. Maybe he did get lazy after the contract. Maybe injuries played a part. Maybe the coaches weren't pushing him to finesse the other parts of his game. Who knows.

Like you say, the story should have gone a different way to what it did. And that's a shame.

13. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Woodley largely benefited from having Harrison on the other side - once Harrison started not being the same player he was, Woodley never could step up into being the same type of marquis player. The guy was never that good against the run either, a lot of times he didn't seal the edge and his lateral movement was awful. Harrison was a way better OLB than Woodley. Woodley was good, but he wasn't very good...certainly not worth the contract he was given. A lot folks say it was injuries and that may be true, in fact it is certainly part of the story, but to me he was never going to be the guy you could anchor your defense on.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Woodley was a monster until the hammy changed everything. Those who look back and say that he got lazy, or was a product of having Harrison on the other side need to look back at the 1/2 season between signing the deal and the first hammy injury in 2011. He played his best ball early that season. Harrison was dealing with a back injury and missed a few games while playing hurt in others. Woodley had 9 sacks in the first 8 games, including 5 in 3 games that Harrison missed. He was stout against the run, and dominated the Pats' right tackle in that nice 25-17 win.

I am certainly not one to give a pass to management for bad personnel moves, but signing Woodley to a big deal before the 2011 season only looks bad in hindsight. At the time, everything was pointing toward him being a dominant LOLB for years to come. It's amazing that a pulled hammy can be a career ending injury, but in his case it really was. It just took a few years to play out.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with this, I don't see the critiques that Steel saw in him, one word can sum up his downfall, injuries, he just ended up being one of those players that is never healthy. Some athletes have the injury bug while others avoid it, nature of the beast.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree.

He was a very good player. He could have been a legend. But, as I said before, just didn't work out that way.

17. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Woodley was always productive when he was on the field, even when harrison was injured. He only had one season where he "looked" out of shape and his last year here he appeared to be in the best shape of his career. For whatever reason his body seems to be breaking down and that really sucks because he was one of my favorite players when he was here. As desperate as we are at OLB I would maybe kick the tires and give him a shot in camp.

18. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Use of PEDs can do that.

19. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Woodley always had this karate typw thing he did after a sack or big hit for loss.
    I saw him do it in college and it looked like he hurt his self, but kept playing.
    Then I saw him do it his whole career with the steelers, and even told people, "hey, did you see that, Woodley just hurt himself doing that celebration karate move", then the next play he checked out.

Guys cause themselves problems with celebrations, and team mates can too when they jump on your back and surprise you after you just ran a pick six back for a TD. AND WHEN A GUY GETS KNOCKED OUT, THEN GETS UP AND WALKS BACK TO THE SIDELINES, AND EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM SLAPS HIM ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD FOR ENCOURAGEMENT.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Sean Merriman hurt himself doing that "lights out" thing one time.