1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR unit: the best in team history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lloyddestroy, Mar 1, 2015.

1. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...eceivers-good-as-gold-en/stories/201503010121

Swann and Stalworth are both Hall of Famers, but our current group is excellent too. Now let's just pray they aren't held back again like at the beginning of last year.

Brown is among the very best in the world. Bryant made splash plays even as a rookie. Wheaton has shown he can make plays. Add in the other non WR weapons in Miller and Bell (and hopefully Dri at some point) and this passing game is potent. If we can improve the D, to say, a top 10 or so, and look out.

Could 2015 be #7 ring?

They got a shot if everything comes together and we don't lose key players to injury.

[video=youtube;OmZUoEutFTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZUoEutFTw[/video]

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We have one very good WR, one solid, and one that's all but unproven. To call them better than Stallworth and Swann is more than a reach.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Stallworth and Swann were an amazing tandem that no other receivers could accomplish in this era of FA ever including what we have now. That bar is way too high.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers number three receiver behind Swann and Stallworth was a guy named Jim Smith. Poor guy would have been a superstar on most other teams but had the misfortune of playing behind two of the best WRs, not only in Steeler lore, but in NFL history.

5. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I admit, I go way back to that era and I'm even saying, Who? Really, don't even remember him. In today's NFL it is all about 3, 4 WR, single backfield sets. Back then it was typically 2 WR's, TE and fullback packages. It sounds like Jim Smith would have had much more success in todays pass happy era.

6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Really? Jim Smith was a very good WR and delivered when he got opportunities, which were rare. He was a big, strong and fast guy who played in anonymity thanks to Swanny and Stalls. He dominated in the USFL.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Smith_(American_football)

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm gonna have to agree with this. our RB bell was the 2nd leading receiver last year too.:cool:

8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I kind of remember who he was if I really concentrate but have to admit that off the top of my head it is difficult to remember the other players Bradshaw was throwing to back in those days. I was rather young during that era though and watching Swann and Stallworth play was essentially jaw dropping.

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He and Cliff Stoudt went to the Birmingham Stallions in the USFL and made some noise.

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I remember Stoudt making noise with that team but really didn't pay much attention cause they weren't the Pittsburgh Maulers. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2XuvDt-Z9o

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he was a good one jack.:cool:

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Jim Smith and Cliff Stoudt could have both had very good NFL careers if it weren't for three guys named Bradshaw, Swann and Stallworth. I remember that Stoudt actually qualified for his NFL pension without ever taking a snap in a regular season game.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it was quite surprising that the USFL didn't survive. they had a lot and I mean a lot of good players and coaches that went that route. lots of talent taken and then brought back into the NFL.:cool:

14. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Because this year's Super Bowl was full of top notch receivers.

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The 1995 group went five deep.

Thigpen.
    Hastings.
    Mills.
    Johnson.
    Stewart (remember?)

Certainly, Stallworth-Swann-Smith ranks as the best three deep. But I'll take that 1995 group for greater depth.

16. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    All I can say is,

At least we held onto the right one of the "Young Money Crew"...

Or CMB, Or whatever it was they called themselves...

Antonio Brown has DEFINITELY been the best of the three, since then...

And here I thought the Rooneys` just gave him the money to spite Wallace..

Maybe, just maybe, they really know what they are doing, after all?( forgot the green font)...

And I do think we have talent in Bryant, and Wheaton.

I wouldn`t compare them all to Swann and Stallworth, but I do think they are above average, to say the least, and have a qb with a knack for spreading the ball around...

The potential is there..

Time to realize the potential, and get another Lombardi!!!

Takes an entire team to do that tho, not just one unit...

and I think we are CLOSE..

I believe we have CLOSE to enuff skill on the roster, and maybe enuff, right now...

After all, it always comes down to staying healthy, not turning the ball over, and not either making mistakes, or getting bad calls...

I think our Pittsburgh Steelers have a better shot than 75 or 80% of teams in the league of making it to the ultimate goal!

Parity is what it is,...

And LOTS of variables come into play...

Team chemistry, intangibles, etc...

I think we have a leg up on the competition, with Ben, good recievers, Heath, a Helluva runningback, and our tradition...
    Used to be, I could say our defense, but that is now the question mark...

Hope we get our **** together, under Coach Butler...

I am optimistic...even if I can`t spell it...

Maybe we will stop playing so conservative, and attack the qb, and recievers at the line...

I get LeBeau`s "bend but don`t break" Defense, but, maybe we can gamble, a little more, and count on the O to score?

After all, the rules are tailored in their favor, nowadays...

GO STEELERS!!!

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have to score in the red zone, bottom line.:cool:

18. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Amen brother... True that...:this!:

Recurring problem, that needs to be fixed.

7`s instead of 3`s, wins a LOT more games!:steelflag:

GO STEELERS!