1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I hope we go to a 4-3 this year.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Feb 28, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    In this pass happy NFL nowadays, I think you need 4 studs collapsing the pocket and getting after the QB, and use 2 LB's to spy the RB and cover the TE, and 5 cover guys as Db's.

The thing i dont like about the 3-4 is that you need an edge guy who can consistently get pressure and sacks, or hits.
    The edge guys vacate their spot on the edge, and make the Defense susceptible to swing passes and other dink and dunk passes in the area he vacates.

We have the 4 horses to get the job done, and you dont need much depth as DL men dont tend to get hurt much.
    With 4 studs getting pressure, that gives you an extra DB to double the other teams top WR.

With only 2 LB's on the field, you need a strong guy like Timmons to stop the run, and a good cover guy to shadow the TE. I'm thinking we dont have a good cover LB that could handle the likes of Gronkowski.

I dont see a good edge LB on the roster besides Harrison, so why play 3-4 with an edge guy.

2. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Nor does ANY team. But I agree with the rest of your post.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think our problem has been one of scheme but one of personnel. I've said it over and over but since you're new I'll say it again. LOL. Welcom a(message)board btw.

5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Clever haha didn't realize guru was a newbie. Welcome guru!

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sound rebuttal :hello:

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just on the Gronk point... I was under the impression that this was something Cortez Allen was good at, because his more physical style stood up to the TEs better than, say, Gay or Taylor. That was last season, of course.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree fully with SG Steeler's rebuttal. Whether you play a 43 or 34 you need edge rushers. We don't have the "4 studs up front" to suddenly be effective in a 43. In Heyward, McClendon and Tuitt we have guys who are solid in a 34, and may or may not be as good inside on a 43. However none of those guys is likely to be successful outside in a 43. I also agree that teams with 43 fronts rotate guys a lot, and they do get hurt.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    here's a hunch. the better and more attention tuitt and heyward and MAC or shade tree get the better the ILB'ers and OLB'ers will get.:smiley1::cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a hunch too, that Butler will use Worilds more to his strengths and will have a good season. Now they just have to come up worth a contract that makes sense so we can see that come to fruition :grin:

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't think Worilds is coming back.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If they let him test FA, he won't be back, they have to work out a deal before he hits the market. I thought he was a sure fire bet to be gone at first but looking at the situation, he may be their best option.

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    you are probably right Thig. Cortez might be a better option to play at nickel back than he is outside. That's where his play impressed the FO enough to lock him up after Lewis left. He either needs to play nickel back again or the coaching staff needs to let him play press coverage on every down so he can use his physicality to his advantage.

It would sure be nice to see him return to form either way. If we draft someone that can play, and Tez regains his confidence we will look wayyyy better at the CB position than we do currently

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that's what we have been doing anyway with these sub packages.:cool:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, DL always stuck with a 3-4, and KB has always been under DL..... not sure if I understand the logic to converting to a 4-3 with no coaching experience to such.

17. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Ed BouchetteVerified account ‏@EdBouchette

“@SwitzerNoSwipin: @EdBouchette if the 4-3 rumors are true, any chance they're freeing up cap to sign a big name DL?” .. . No 4-3 planned

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/572543959542726656

For anyone who can't read that, That's a fan asking Ed Bouchette about the rumors of a switch to the 4-3, and the chances of us signing a big name DL ... and Ed replying that the Steelers have no plan to switch to a 4-3 defense.