1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Melvin Gordon

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steeler guru, Feb 28, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    No disrespect for LeVeon Bell, but you can never have too many really good backs, especially cats who can take it the distance.
    If Gordon is around when the Steelers pick in round one, I hope they take Gordon.

I know we need DB help, but you can get good DB's in the next couple rounds, we dont have many glaring needs, so you could pick about 3 DB's and hope one or two pan out.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: You're joking right? A RB in rd 1 geez, Gordon didn't even run that fast at the combine. And many of those Wisconsin RBs are busts in the NFL.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hahaha NO WAY. You can't be serious.... No. Just... No.

You think the only way we can get a suitable back up for Bell is at pick 22? Then draft 3 corners later in the draft and just hope one works out... What about edge rusher (our current biggest need)? DE and TE depth? Safety and OL depth as well? How is this going to improve our team????

I love Gordon, but he isn't wearing the B&G. I'm just hoping he doesn't end up being a Raven or Brown.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't see any possible scenario that this takes place. Even if there is no one of need and of value at 22, then I see them trading out of that spot before they would ever take a RB. You can find several very good ones that will be there in rounds 3&4.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is a deep RB class, I'd wait and take a guy like Ajayi or Cobb later on..

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cobbs talents are limited too. I think he will end up being a better college player than a pro. gorden didn't look to great against the buckeyes I have to say.:smiley1: duke Johnson, Langford, Abdullah are some guys I'd target if we were looking in round 2 or 3, but I don't think so. I expect we will grab a FA and go with archer and our kid from last year. I will say, tate didn't run bad for one week in the program. :cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm sure RB is off our list for the 1st round. On the mention of Abdullah later in the draft - the guy has 23 career fumbles. Plenty of RBs who have no fumbling issues in college develop fumblitis in the pros where running lanes are smaller and defenders are better/stronger/faster. How is guy with major fumbling issues in college going to get better when conditions get harder? For all of his talent, I could see Abdullah being a guy who bounces between 2 or 3 rosters over a few years before being out of the league because he can't be trusted to hold on to the ball. For his sake I hope he figures it out, but I wouldn't draft him unless he falls at least 2-3 rounds lower than his talent suggests.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

touches of the ball can explain some of that elvis.

Abdullah 886
    gurly 575
    Gordon 633
    ajayi 751
    coleman 506
    yeldon 622
    Johnson 595
    allen 480
    Langford 616
    cobb 596

more touches. a lot more touches = more hits and more opportunity to fumble. your talking almost 900 touches.:cool:

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Plus, there are some really good RB's that have fumbling problems... I'm looking at Demarco Murray, Adrian Peterson, and LeSean McCoy. I wouldn't say that fumbling issues should make you shy away from drafting someone. Take him, teach him how to carry it properly, work on it with him, and the fumbling issue should get better. Worked for Tiki Barber.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Buck Allen from USC and other good RBs will be available in the later rounds. I wouldn't draft a RB before the 5th rd too many needs on defense. I would make a exception for Todd Gurley though if he was available in the 3rd.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe Gordon will be good, but just not for the PGH Steelers. We already have a hard time getting people touches in games. IE Archer. 4th rd and beyond or FA. A rb that knows his playing time will be limited.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he'll get carries in the first two games.:facepalm::cool:

13. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I see Gordon having a Eric Dickerson or Curtis Martin type of career.
    He is patient and uses blocks well, and he can break away.

I know Wisconsin hopefuls like Ron Dayne and Montee Ball didn't really pan out, but Gordon didn't get beat up and take a lot of hard hits, he is more elusive than those other Wisconsin guys.

LeVeon Bell and Gordon could each get 20 touches a game, that would be automatic balance.

If Gordon is there, you wont find a better impact player in the draft.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Colbert drafts a RB in rd 1 he should be fired.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope the Steelers never draft a RB in the first round in my lifetime.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was on board for taking a RB in round 2. I'm not completely off that train of thought yet, but the signing of D Williams has definitely lessened that need.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is such a deep RB class that I would wait until at least the 4th.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No way it should happen . Now with DW more emphasis on no. I had some nice ones I liked in round #3 and #4 but I know think we should wait later or not draft 1 all together . RB'S will be worth less next year than they are this year .