1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Million Under The Cap with more room to come.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Reggie Bush and AJ Hawk. :roflmao:

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    More bargain scrubs as usual :roflmao:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Will probably have more room soon. Something something cap hell, something something bad cap situation.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't keep up on the financial aspects of the cap too well, but I read in another article that the recent re-structures were to get the team under the 89% level. I'm not sure what they were referring to though.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Nah, I mean...I think LaCanfora hinted that the Steelers did their restructures to get over 89%, but it's not likely so IMO. It's likely that someone saw a prominent journalist's tweet and wrote a story around it.

The NFLPA did release a report projecting each team's spending, and the Steelers were listed at 88.3%.

Here's the 89% cash spending floor in a nutshell- The CBA included a section that requires 89% cash spending or more of the cap for the period from 2013-2016. If a team doesn't meet that requirement, the difference will be divided among the players who were on the roster during that timeframe.

When I estimated it last year, the Steelers weren't in danger of being under. Even if they were, they wouldn't need to do these recent restructures to get under as they have another year. Converting base salary to cash bonuses obviously doesn't hurt, though.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    OK Im as lost as a turtle fart in the wind. As an example: If the cap is 140 million, the Steelers would need to spend 124 million on their salary and if they don't (lets say 120 mill is spent) then they have to divide 4 mill amongst the players?

Secondly, it kinda sounded like it was better to be under the 89%. Which is better?

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No, it's cumulative. So, if the total salary cap for the 4 league years was $500 Mil for example, a team would need to spend at least $445 Mil (85%) in total cash. To clarify, this is different than total cap numbers. Not sure if everyone realizes that.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that's 8 mil under with 1 OLB on the roster. ben not having his new contract. no FB. 1 TE with any game experience. no real backup RB. 4.5 defensive linemen. 3 WR's with another one wanting released. 2 CB's. and so on. this 8 mil can get used up pretty quick. :cool:

13. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    No, I think it would be better to divide the 4M among the board members posting in this thread. Yep! Starting right now and with a cutoff date when this post is submitted. :smiley1:

This thread reminded me of something that popped into my head this past week when reading an article in one of local papers. It was about Big Ben's Foundation donating 55M to some worthy cause. [Something about police Dogs].

It reminded me of something I read in the past few years about how Tom Brady appeared to be buying himself a World Championship by doing an extremely liberal contract. I was figuring maybe the Foundation could donate a bushel to the cap fund somehow.:smiley1:

OMT that made me chuckle and it is unrelated but maybe worth a mention. Right after that article there was one that headlined 6 nfl biggies are not going to speak at the combine.

Now when you consider that just about everyone in the NFL that has a mouth did some talking in videos at the combine. Who would be the last person you would believe would be silent. Yep! You guessed it. It was right here. MT was 1 of the 6.

You know, maybe that is a good thing. It does sound like the org. means business and is focused on the important issues.

14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, after all the moves are done being made to free up cap space and the new cap thats been set, they will be around 18 million under.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True that. The Ben extension will help and locking up Heyward. Cut the waste Tomato can Thomas. Release Troy for an after June 1st cut if he doesn't retire. Beachum is also a candidate for being extended reports say.

I believe they will look at OLBs in FA. Brandon Graham from the eagles should be one of them.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After they get the Troy money back they will be in fairly good shape . I think they target a top CB or top OLB or good RB . I think the Team is starting to see that we will need to play in the FA market and not just sign bargain basement guys.

This years FA market has enough talent to build a all star team not the way the FA market used to look .

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the Ben extension will be cap neutral this year +/- $1 million. Signing Heyward will almost certainly knock a at least a mil or two off of his 2015 cap hit.