1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Restructure Marcus Gilbert's Contract

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Feb 25, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The Steelers have restructured Marcus Gilbert's contract. His upcoming roster bonus and most of his 2015 base salary were rolled into a signing bonus. The move reportedly clears $3.724 Mil in cap space. His 2015 base salary is $745,000.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    roll some of that over to a new one for beachum.:cool:

3. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    The only real reason to have done this would be that they aren't close enough yet with an extension for Ben to get us under the cap. Can't say I'm a fan of it but it was simple enough to do and should help the immediate need without really hurting the future.

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Here we go again ... robbing Peter to pay Paul. :facepalm:

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    they should ask a pay cut to allen at least spread his roster bonus into salary years

6. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I am so sick of the "US govt-like," kick the financial can down the road moves. They should grow a pair of balls and make the players - who deserve it - take a pay cut instead of just blowing up our cap of the future. I am so sick of this cowardly approach. Cut Troy, Adams and make Allen take a pay cut, period. This wussy mode is so irritating.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think it means that, they are just making room like always.

I don't have a problem with it. People get so worked up about the cap (not saying you) but it didn't stop them from being more active then they have been in years last season.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

i don't know what to say it's almost unbeleaveble

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm scratching my head about the Mike Mitchell re-structuring..... I guess he looked better on game tape than live TV.

10. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    He truly was not a good player for us. Made almost no plays all season, and screwed up a good # of times. My only hope is he will make a big jump like Ryan Clark did his 2nd year in the system. That is my hope any how.

11. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    More active than they have been is the equivalent of declaring yourself the troll Casanova.

12. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    My only hope is that you're right, because we're neck deep in that poo.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    my biggest hope is munchak ...

14. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I think people are expecting miracles out of him as a coach. The talent he has to work with is the talent he's got to work with.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    maybe not miracle but more overachiever and a true evaluation of talents than if they (f.o and tomlin ) don't want to follow him i don't know what to say i hope rooneys is watching closely at the situation

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mitchell played better with Will Allen beside him and was injured. I'm not giving him a pass but I believe he will be better this season. I wonder about Cortez Allen. A 3 mill bonus after March 10th. I don't have a good feeling about Allen. The worst big money signing so far. At least Woodley earned the right to get a contract although way to much then turned into a marshmallow. The team is on the hook for 8 large in dead money this year. I hope I'm wrong about Allen if in so they keep him.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If you don't like who they signed, thats a different argument but despite all the bemoaning of the cap, they were very active.

He already has worked miracles, line was ranked 8th. Should get even better in year two. I dont think it is any coincidence either that they remained healthy under Munchak, stability has been a major factor as to why the line has struggled in the past.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it did look better but I'm not putting a lot of stock in that ranking and calling it a done deal yet. they got that ranking against a relatively weak schedule. a couple of players maturing in DD and beachum helped. that goes to show different players or the right players give him a lot more to work with. the miracles will come from making players like adams and gilbert and a new LG into something. that has yet to be seen. they also have to go against a far tougher schedule this year.:cool:

19. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Aside from Mitchell, we shopped the bargain bin like we always do. In the case of Mitchell, we should've stuck to the bargain bin.

20. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    As a general rule I give the overwhelming portion of the credit for a strong ground game to the OL ... but Bell looked like such a freak, I'm not sure how the credit should be apportioned. In any case, the OL did a much better job, and at least some of that credit has to go to Munchak.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was not a fan of Mitchell but Colbert did say he showed up side as the season went on. Now was it a function of learning the system or was it just getting away from Troy and never knowing what Troy was doing?

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think learning the system may have been a big part of it, but my issue with Mitchell was beyond that. Being out of position and getting late to a tackle might be due to getting used the system. Hitting the guy even though you're late to the tackle and five yards out of bounds... that's just idiocy.

I hope Lake can do something about his tackling in general. Big steps needed for Mr Mitchell to improve. Seems like they're keeping him for now, though.

23. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Serious question: How does a position coach make the unit have less injuries? If we are talking the strength and conditioning coach, that is one thing, but a OL coach?

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    For offensive linemen, focusing on fundamentals, proper form and technique can help with that.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What TTF, said. There used to be some discussions on here before you arrived about how often the line is injured. A part of why they have sucked so much is they never have any continuity. Some of us feel that had to do with poor technique and fundamentals.