1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We don't need another Duce Staley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lloyddestroy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dg4Av?...m=newsletter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

Just say no. Never add a 32-year-old free agent running back to your roster. It's just dumb. Even great backs never do poop when they sign with another team at 32, I mean, almost never. Franco became a Seahawk, Dorsett became a Bronco, Emmitt became a Card, Dickerson became a Raider...all a waste of $ and time. I hope this report is BS. I'd much rather have a rookie RB. Football is a young man's game. This better be BS.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree. He wouldn't be useless to us, and I think he'd actually be a really nice guy to have as a backup to Bell, but let's give that role to a cheaper, and healthier, rookie.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's just smoke and speculation. The odds are great that they're going to entertain some veteran free agent running backs at some point, so you should brace yourself.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If Carolina is releasing him because they don't run the ball enough to feed both Stewart and him, it is doubtful he takes a job going into the same situation only worse because Bell is the bell cow for the team.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

they are releasig him because counts 6 ,5 milion on the cap .. anyway if we have to look at free agency i would take roy helu

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Williams may end up having to settle for a 1 year deal at or near the vet minimum. He probably won't accept something like that until well into the free agency period. However, if things get to a point where he needs to accept a backup role and be paid accordingly, then I would want to take a good look at him. If he can get healthy, I think he'll have some good play left in him as a spot player. I think we need a vet backup AND a rookie, so I'd like to find a cheap vet somewhere, and he may fit the bill.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm still thinking why we took archer with the 3rd round pick :facepalm:

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The article I read yesterday about his release said the GM told him they just didn't run the ball enough to feed him and Stewart so yeah if Stewart is the cheaper option then I can see it.

9. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    TTF, I have NO problem with looking at a vet FA RB - none at all. But I _DO_ have a problem with adding a 32-year old FA, especially a RB. It's just a dumb idea; he will likely be hurt like Staley most of the season. They CAN'T be that stupid. I was against the Staley signing from the very start. He did nothing but cheerlead in sweats from the sideline. From this list, I'd go for Helu, Spiller (probably to pricey for our needs, but I like him), Tate (not a starter material but hopefully we don't need one), Powell, Vereen, Ridley, Forsett (doubt he will leave Balt). And if they sign no FA and draft a rookie I am fine with that as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459436/article/2015-nfl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I figure it went like this . No one was pounding the table for a player ,either they didn't have enough info or they thought their group had enough talent. So after everyone looking at everyone else in the draft room Haley finally spoke up and said give me a toy and Colbert went and turned the pick in .

The toy looks defective can we send it back ?

11. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Because Colbert and Tomlin had to prove how smart they are with a head-scratcher pick. It was a toy for Haley, who seems to want to live off of gadget plays with fast little guys. He even seems scared to return kicks. We thought at the very least, he'd be good at that, but he's not. They thought he'd be another Sproles but instead he is another failed little back, who just can't take the big boy pounding of NFL players. Sproles is short, but thick, while being quick as lightening. Archer is fast, but just too damn small. If you can't grab him, blow air out of your mouth and he will fall down. It's not as if we could have used the pick on a CB, S or OT. Naaaaa, let's draft a midget instead.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we where typing at the same time pretty similar replies. lol

13. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    :lolol: Yea, when two fans express the same thing at the same time, there might be truth to it.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers have nothing to do with that article, its some bloggers opinion.

I haven't given up on Archer, he had similar numbers to Sproles in his first season. I can totally see a player like Archer struggling with the adjustments to the pros but I saw a glimmer of what he can be for us in the playoff loss to the Ravens.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

yes the only slim hope i have for him come from the same play you mentioned .. let's hope is the first sign

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    For the record I'm not giving up on Archer or anyone for that matter with such limited opportunities.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. He wasn't going to be an immediate impact guy to build into the offense immediately. I trust Haley to find a use for him this next season. If he performs, then we have a weapon. If he doesn't, then we have other weapons.

18. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    I am not officially giving up on him, but I am officially disappointed in what he did with the touches he had. It seemed like a wasted play whenever he touched the rock. If they used those touches towards Bryant, Brown, Wheaton, Bell, we would surely got more production than Tiny Archer gave us.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If he doesn't it's another wasted pick. Haley wanted a Dexter McCluster type. The pick to me should have been spent elsewhere.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    For sure. But you have to give him the space to work. I've posted before how Archer's stats are pretty similar to Sproles' first season. Once they worked out how to use Sproles, he was a certifiable asset. I;m not saying Archer will be also; but I think now that Haley has a sense of what he can do, we'll see a better use of him in the gameplan (whether he's good enough to flourish within that or not).

The most disappointing thing for me was that they took him off doing returns, as that seemed to be where he could make an immediate impact. Yes, he was making mistakes, but trying to look for the big play rather than take the touchback is pretty standard for a young guy. So that's a bit of a warning light to me that the coaches didn't want him back there all the time.

We will see...

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd take Deanglo Williams if he was cheap.

Even if we draft a guy he won't step right in as the #2. Steelers had to sign a vet off the street because they thought a rookie on the roster couldn't hack it in the playoffs.

22. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Lots of rookie RBs can play well in their first year. Jeremy Hill killed it last year. Bell would have done OK if he didn't get hurt. And we aren't looking for a starter, just a back up. I don't want some creaky 32-year old taking up a roster spot like Duce Staley did. Horrible decision.

23. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Why????? :shrug:

24. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Because he is obsessed with using little fast guys on trick plays.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe we should take Nick Marshall and turn him into the new slash . He can play QB so he is our 3rd. QB . He played some CB before and didn't look to bad so he can provide depth at CB . Not a half bad scrambler decent size kid ran a lot in college . Convert him to back up RB.

3 roster spots filled with 1 guy .