1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So much for Trae Waynes being available

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Ender, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Is Marcus Peters worth the risk? How'd he test today? I saw the Williams kid from Florida St. ran a pedestrian 4.6 so I am no longer interested in him.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    PJ Williams wasn't too far behind Marcus Peters in the 40 (0.04 seconds) and bested him in the jumps. Peters outperformed him in the 20 yard shuttle and the (yawn) bench press. Based on the combine numbers they are essentially equal prospects, so if Williams is no longer in consideration I'd lump Peters right in there with him.

And while Waynes had an impressive 40, he was bottom third or next to last in the agility drills. Al Davis is gone, so he may very well be there at #22, and #23...

Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest, placed very well in all the measurable drills and I've heard he has some good tape to back it up.

My guy is still Quinten Rollins, who posted average numbers at the combine, or Olomu-Ekpre, who did not compete. With the way our defense improved simply by removing Allen and Taylor from the lineup, I'd be comfortable waiting on CB until the 2nd or later, assuming we can sign Blake and McCain.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    they are paying allen 6 milion this season ....wtf

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Joe Haden ran a 4.57 40 at his combine, and he turned out OK.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    rowe and grant reaffirmed my like in them today with some nice speed. both have some good size too. I'm still on the harris bandwagon at safety too.:cool:

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not as high on Waynes for the Steelers as most people.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You think any of these guys will be available in the fifth round, our designated round to draft cornerbacks? ;)

8. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Why not? You see something? IMO we are going OLB / DE in the 1st and CB in the next two rds. I think he will be gone before 22 but I see a lot if DBs in the 2 Nd and 3rd

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this draft is strange every players have question mark it's difficult to say this is a safe pick expecially in the position we are going to draft .. maybe the best plan could be trade down and add more picks just to have more players brought in camp and evaluate them later .

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think, if you look at the top 8 corners, that their is a lot of difference. they all have flaws. its just a matter of which flaw you can live with

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    There are some things that would turn me off if I were a Steelers scout. He's got some great qualities don't get me wrong, but he's kind of the antithesis of a Steelers cornerback in lots of ways. Sub-par in run support, gets pushed around, press is his forte/doesn't look the part of a zone corner etc...

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't we need the antithesis of a Steelers cornerback? Mel Blount and Rod Woodson are the antithesis of Steeler cornerbacks over the last decade for crying out loud.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Guess we will find out during the draft if they will be changing things up with that part of the defense.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Depends on the splits and how they get out of a stance . Haden was just a poor track runner and ran good after he was up right and running . Meaning he still has Football speed . I will look real close at these CB'S from this year and see if I think they are slow or poor track guys.

If poor track guys they will run a lot better at their pro days in most cases.
    I could see Trae was fast on tape great recovery speed that's exactly what we need. I would move up to get him , he long and fast with good hips and good ball skills 15 more lbs. on his frame he is a Franchise CB.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    If only those guys didn't come once in a generation.

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah, this pretty much sums up my view on Waynes, from what I've seen thus far. He's a better fit for us than Peters, but neither one excites me for our defense. I'd like for us to focus on the smaller bulldogs that can do what Wayne/Peters do well (disrupt passing plays) while also contributing in the run/blitz department.

I would not be shocked to see no CB's drafted in the 1st. Most of these guys are 1st/2nd round tweeners, but the emphasis on the passing game will probably bump up their value. Waynes' 40 time may be the saving grace for the position this draft.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    so you are talking about players like collins steven nelson doss...?

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    the kid from UConn is raising some eyebrows....... i'm sure his pro day is going to bring a lot of attention

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's the line of thinking we want other teams to have, so we can get the good players. Not everyone times well. However fast he looks on the field is how fast he is. I think Joe Haden ran a 4.6. Jerry Rice ran slower than 4.7. Both seem plenty fast enough to me.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    IMO all the Teams will drop PJ to the 2nd. round in both his runs he did o.k. in the 10 and 20 yard split , but he didn't show top end speed . If in a drag race in the eighth he would be golden in the quarter he would get smoked .

Can't be a press CB without top end recovery speed, he needs to do much better at his pro day .

21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    good thing we don't need press corners.lol

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

But that is what he is . That is what Ike was even in a zone scheme you need at least 1 CB who can play man press or off man so you can rotate the zones and play multiple coverages with multiple blitzes.

If that CB lacks top end speed then you have to give help over the top and that limits your play calls greatly . That's why I say round #2 now.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Peters is a press corner. Butler is rumored to have the pass rushers do their job and rush. Press corners are something I have wanted to see not the play zone 10 yards off the line. But that was LeBeau's scheme. So bring on the press corner! I would consider Peters.
    I'm with you Freak I feel that paying Allen would be a mistake. Release him and let him go to Nashville.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    DL had made a comment back when allen and brown were drafted that they were looking for a more man to man type of corners to bring in. cortez was one of those at the time.

there are several good ones out of the first or second round. I stand by my first thought on this years group in that it's nothing special at the top. I want quick guys but also guys that can turn and run with the numbers these wr's are putting up. if not we are chasing and as of now we don't have enough at safety to counter the over the top coverage. hopefully that changes too. straight line speed isn't the be all, but it's nice to know they can.

I'm all in on guys like rowe, grant and even nelson from ore.st.. I hope we don't just grasp at a guy because we want one to call a first rounder if he's not.:cool: