1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pens at the all star break 2015

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by turtle, Feb 20, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I try to follow as much as I can, but its hard not being in the burgh. What's up with the Pens? Is there another coaching change in the works halfway into the first season? What's the deal, everytime I've seen them on National TV they have lost. In my mind, Doc Emrick is the greatest announcer of all time, but even he can't make a Pens loss sound good.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    SoS...They lose it mentally when they're not getting a team playing their game....

Also, seems they don't ramp it up for highlight games.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    A few things I notice.
    They try and play with too much finesse by passing the puck instead of getting it on net. There is essentially 6 great/very good players on this team and then a huge drop off in talent probably due to cap room.
    Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang.
    Hornquist, Downie are those players IMHO.
    A coaching change last year was an overreaction.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The coaching change and GM change were necessary though. Shero was living to much in his own legend and Bylsma was too slow to adapt and played favorites too much. This year you are seeing some of these young guys really getting a chance to get "real" NHL experience not a one game call up but solid ice time. If Dan was still the coach the is no way that Despres is even on the roster since his early mistakes landed him in Bylsma's doghouse just like Tangradi before he was run out of town for failing to reach his potential. No way Sill is up from Wilkes-Barre and most likely Bennett is been sent down multiple times on rehab sessions. If Shero is still here they wouldn't have signed Erhoff(still on the fence about this one) and most likely wouldn't have Sutter because Shero would have bundled him along with Maatta or Pouliot and a 1st rounder to get his man crush Ryan Kessler. Then we would have to endure more smoke and mirrors about how this guys didn't want to be here, that guy didn't reach his potential, needing to give to get. I'm kinda glad they are gone just so the team can start building the system again.

That being said what you are seeing is a team with a lot of solid players and stars, they are young on defense and all the injuries are taking their toll. I think once they get back to gelling as a team things will start pointing north again. I hope Rutherford settles down a bit becuase he has been juggling things looking for that magic line-up and at this point I think they need to just stand pat and let things happen. If they can get a solid guy at the trade deadline without giving up too much I'd be for it but again just let the guys play. Tell you I think losing Duper really really hurt this year.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They're going to have to find an answer for losing Duper though sooner rather than later.

This is the second year and although they did ok without him last year....This year is different.

I need to see the mental toughness of the stars though. Sid hasn't really shown it like he did before the concussion. Malkin gets off his game too easily. Some of the other guys don't seem to play the same when Sid and Malkin are both healthy.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So this is what it's like to live in the Burgh...

I got to watch the Sunday nite's game vs San Jose and now I'm watching the Pens and the effin' flyers.

I'm smilin' like a butcher's dog!!

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well that sucked.. 4-1. The butcher should choke on some bacon.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk what's up with the Pens right now. They just flat out don't look good. Should still make the playoffs... but playing the way they are, they will have short series' with either the Rangers or the Habs. I'm curious to hear an explanation from Pens fans, since I only watch a handful of their games a year.

As as a die hard CBJ fan, I will however capitalize on my opportunity to gloat a little hahah we haven't had much to cheer about this season, but taking the season series against Pittburgh is always nice :)

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    SOS different year. They just started it during the regular season.