1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DHB exit interview

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Feb 19, 2015.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Did you write that? :lolol:

I like DHB but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the team next year.

3. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    With the emergence of Bryant as a deep threat, I also feel it's unlikely DHB will be back. He only had 3 catches all year?

With balls - deservedly - going to Brown, Bell, Bryant, Heath, Wheaton and Moore, DHB just doesn't make the cut in terms of worth throwing to. He could possibly make it as the last spot, but typically, you want a younger, more hungry guy who _could_ have a higher ceiling and hustle on ST. We already know where DHB's ceiling is, which is a fast guy with not very good hands. Bryant is already better than he is, even as a rookie. And Brown is literally one of the very best WRs in the entire NFL, so you got to give him his large share of balls.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You heard it here first folks. DHB will be cut in favor of bringing back Derek Moye who will then bump AB to number 2 status and go on to a HOF career. Mark it.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So long as he plays special teams, I'm in favor of keeping him around. I don't understand comments about Bryant, aren't multiple deep threats better than one? There are so many others holes to fill, combined with the departure of Moore, that I expect to see DHB return.

6. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Of course 2 deep threats are better than one, and so is having 2 shut down CBs would be better than 1, but reality is both concepts are luxuries that most teams never see come to fruition. The other point about Bryant is that, if you are gonna go deep, you will go to the guy with the proven hands who has a much better chance making a play. Throwing to DHB is too often a wasted down, which we can't afford. When it comes to teams who have fielded two legit deep threats, the late 90's Rams come to mind, with Bruce and Holt, the Chargers with Joiner and Chandler in the 80's, The Fins with the Mark Brothers in the 80's, somewhat with the Cowboys of the 90's with Irving and Harper (although Irving was an every route kind of receiver) and somewhat with the 90's Bills with Lofton and Reed. Like the last two teams mentioned, Brown can go deep, but that's not his main forte, but it sure seems like Bryant is our deep guy, with 7 TDs as a rookie who didn't see the field until the 2nd half of the season. I have no problem if DHB comes back, if he is the best option of what's out there. But I wouldn't mind if they found a later round guy who could be a potential diamond in the rough, like Brown.

Oh, one other team comes to mind that had 2 deep options: Swann and Stalworth. Both of those dudes could go downfield.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I like this man crush a lot more than your last one (Redman) haha I too want to see DHB back on the roster next year. Our top 3 guys are set, but having a guy that is decent veteran depth that plays ST's is always nice. I don't think he will see too many snaps (nor really should he, barring injury) but if he comes at a good price, then why not?

8. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    He had a man crush on Redman? I never thought he would be a legit NFL running back. His style was to just stay on his feet long enough to get punished and there was no hope of him making it through a season. I thought the team was literally retarded when they named him as the starting back that year. I knew he didn't even deserve a roster spot, which he didn't and they signed Dwyer back, which is what they should have done all along (not the greatest but better than Redman would ever become). The only reason I wouldn't want DHB back is he could be taking the roster spot of a possible developmental player who might have a higher ceiling, that is all. But I won't be upset either way.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In Redmans defense, it was revealed he was playing with a spinal injury that forced him to retire after being released by the Steelers.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    But dang, I loved that 9yd TD run against the Ravens!!

12. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Who else to we have outside of Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton? That's my only reasoning behind wanting DHB back. We have a couple guys on PS. Maybe we take a late round flyer on a WR, or take some camp invites... Either way there has to be more than one young guy balling out behind him to make him expendable. He's pretty clearly a front runner for the #4 or #5 WR spot.

13. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How about flipping him to defense and use him in nickel and dime packages as well as special teams? He's got the speed.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think PWP actually suggested that not to long ago.

15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Why would we do that? He's gonna be 28 years old.... He's not gonna learn a new position

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    l'damian Washington and c.j.Goodwin are two fast, tall, deep threats available to us beside those 3 SG.

and Lloyddestroy, the marks (duper and clayton) made a living catching short stuff from marino and turning it into long stuff. I witnessed that for a year. they were something to watch.:smiley1::cool:

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you read the article ? DHB is a great locker room guy. DHB still has elite speed. DHB did draw double coverage and open the field for others . DHB can play all the WR spots if needed. DHB was a good special teamer he even forced a fumble.

You use the fact he only caught 3 balls as the reason not to bring him back. Not his fault he didn't get the chances, yet he still never complained and willing to do what the Team needed .As the article stated he caught all 9 balls in the pre season that could be caught. That's a 100 % catch ratio , not to bad for a guy who can't catch .

He is a lock to make the Team IMO and I think if you watch his complete game you will learn to admire what he brings to the Team as a 4th. WR . Remember this is his second career ,not the 1st. round bust .That ship has sailed . We are talking about a 4th. WR ,and as such he has great value to this Team.

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think DHB is a lock at all. If we keep 5 WRs, you have AB, Wheaton and Bryant as complete locks. Lance Moore is somewhere around 75/25 (he would probably be a near lock if not for the complaining and wanting to be released). That leaves the 5th spot. I like DHB filling that spot, and I agree that he seems to be a good special teamer and locker room guy, but I wouldn't keep him over a young guy who shows promise and has big potential upside. He has a chance (if resigned), but he's by no means a lock.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    DHB got more snaps than Moore and Moore asked to be released. So he is a lock to be gone . That leaves DHB as the only Vet Depth at WR who plays special Teams as well . That equals lock to me. If we draft a young kid there will still be a roster spot open.

21. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I feel like we are really hammering out a crucial position of the team for next year. I mean, we can't make it to and win a Super Bowl without solid contributions from the 5th string WR. Why even go into the season without an exceptional talent at the 5th? The only other position that is more important to the success of the team is the 3rd string QB. In fact, I will go start a thread to really play up Landry as our saving grace for next season.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well let's think about it like this. Since Landry has been here we've done nothing in the post season. Now what is the common thread among all those seasons? Landry didn't start. So there ya go. HOWEVER, this year we cut Steelers great Derek Moye and DO make the playoffs. So it HAS to be the Landry thing.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True.

Conversely, Brian St Pierre has A LOT to answer for regarding out lack of superbowls in the early 2000s. That's the elephant in the room right there.

I'm still surprised that the team doesn't carry a back up Long Snapper...

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well we see what happened when we lost our Starting RB . So yes the 4th. and 5th. WR spots could become huge . The more work those guys have with Ben and the more they can do the better. I actually hope we find another young stud at WR to come in for that 4th.,5th. or 6th. spot.

Had Haley and Coach T not have tried to run the Football when Bell was out we could have won that game . Having more depth and the ability to go 4 and 5 WR packages is a benefit it's plain and simple.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    what do you think about devin funchess ? i know he should be high round but just for the kind of hibrid te/ receiver i like to have