1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Sign Another CFL'er

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Jan 30, 2015.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That coach looked like the Canadian Cowher. Maybe this guy will turn out to be a great Steeler.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Having spent a lot of time in Erie, I gotta root for the Mercyhurst alum!! Pair him with Ventrone on STs and its Wild Thing 1 and Wild Thing 2.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    At this rate, we'll be playing for the Grey Cup next year. :eek:

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    lol. agreed. hard to get excited about cflers.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Some players take longer to develop and there are plenty of D1 players can't make it in the CFL. How long did we hold onto Sweed who couldn't make it. I'm not saying these guys are going to be starters or save the team but they make for decent depth. I'm actually pretty excited about Lemon.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well you have to be happy that we're being proactive. No one knows what to expect from these guys but at least we are looking to improve our depth. With today's nfl being more of a passing league the CFL too,maybe Wild can be a upgrade from Golden or Ventrone. I'm just glad we're kicking tires and not resting on our ass-ets.

He's also a LS too so we know how much Coach likes position flexibility.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Eh!

And I like their bacon up there.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Warren is getting older and I believe he has started to have arm/shoulder issues which is typical of a LS at his age.

11. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Funny you mention Sweed; he came up to the CFL and didn't make it here either.

There are several CFL players that make the move every year.... Why shouldn't the Steelers tap into it? Sometimes it's just circumstances or opportunity that sends them North.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Depth signings like this and potentially a couple free agent signings is what keeps them from having to reach during the draft.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You know every time they take a chance on a smaller speed guy like a Chris Rainy or Dri Archer I find myself wishing they would take a look at this guy. He played at the college in the town I grew up in. He was electric to watch and has all the heart and desire in the world, just a good football player the unfortunate thing is his size, I am just thankful that he caught on in the CFL and they embraced him.

Weston Dessler

[video=youtube;M4Fz5H85a0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Fz5H85a0I[/video]

[video=youtube;pmFnAsaizJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmFnAsaizJM[/video]

He signed last off season with the Chiefs but was an early cut because of his size, he is something special to watch though.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You mentioned heart and desire above, and that's just something I haven't seen out of Archer so far. He just looks like he's going through the motions. No doubt he has unadulterated, raw speed, but he doesn't seem to have that quick twitch, ankle breaking ability that somebody like AB has. He almost seems to run into tackles and goes down immediately on contact. Big disappointment so far and I'm not sure the Steelers give him much more of a look come training camp.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's the thing with specialty guys though wouldn't you say Jack. THey drafted Archer because of his speed but aren't sure how best to use it. So in my mind anytime you have a rookie who may not know his role on the team, may feel he is not being used in the best way, feeling out of place, you are going to see some things that look like he is just going through the motions. I think he gets into camp next season he will come with that chip on his shoulder trying to show the coaches, hey I can return punts and Kickoffs just like Wheaton, maybe not as good as AB but let me do what I am comfortable doing. I think it is going to be tough to keep everyone happy with the established weapons they have let alone trying to work a guy like Archer into a game plan.

16. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What kinda surprised me is they didn't use him like they used Wallace to stretch the field. They seemed to want to use him mainly in bubble screen plays (I know Wallace got used in his share of B.S. plays... that was the B.A. way). From my recollection the guy had decent hands... why not use him to stretch in the 5 receiver sets??

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Another scrub from the CFL.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually, if you look hard at Archers college tape, he was pretty mediocre at tracking the deep ball, and his hands were iffy. I know many (including me) have been annoyed watching us run him between the tackles, but if you watch his college tape that's what he did effectively - not with power, but by hitting the hole very quickly and limiting the time that the defenders had to work off of blocks. Of course, holes in the NFL close pretty quickly, and without having power or vision, a RB has no chance of being a successful ball carrier regardless of raw speed. IMO his college resume screamed UDFA to me, yet we took him in the 3rd. I'm still scratching my head.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    We shall see. The jury's still out to a degree but I just see a guy who can probably outrun anybody on the field but can't make anybody miss. In the NFL, you've got to be able to make people miss.

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sorry should have put CFL in there when it came to the Sweed.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ya just never know. will Johnson was completely out of football for a year before he was spotted. there are only so many spots on NFL teams and guys can get overlooked at times. some work there bodies to get this type of shot, from when they came out of college and possibly were not quite ready yet physically. the more to look at the merrier.:cool: