1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bettis Renegade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Jan 27, 2015.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Me too guy... Me too

3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Me too. I think this is finally his year to make it into the HOF.

4. Colssteel

Colssteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope you are right. He is due.

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    The Bus deserves a Bust!!!! This should be his year.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I love Jerome Bettis so much. One of my all time favorite players. I almost got to sit with his wife on a flight a few years ago and instead my stepmom took the seat. I didn't notice the lady but she was wearing a Troy jersey and my stepmom asked her if she was "really" a fan because she had a stepson that was obsessed. She said "well I'm married to a former player named Jerome Bettis" and when they got off the flight my stepmom said "I sat with a woman that was a Steelers player's wife" and I said "WHO?" and she goes "Bettis?? I think??" and I almost started crying. LOL! I said "HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE HELD HER UP FOR ME TO MEET HER??!!" and she was like "I didn't know if that was someone you liked or not." Sigh..... She did say though that they couldn't even get Super Bowl tickets for free though. I found that odd.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would think BFT given Bettis' tv deal that any type of free tickets would be looked at like a gift and rules against it. However I'm just spit balling here.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Know what stands out to me on this video besides the Bus running people over? The block numbers, yeah I know old topic covered to death but there is just something more primal, more blue collar like with those big block numbers and oversized shoulder pads. I like the current style don't get me wrong but those simple block numbers just screamed we aren't fancy but we will kick the crap out of you for 60 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    She actually said they aren't "affiliated" with the team anymore and that's sorta what you have to be to get free tix evidently.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But...........almost everyone says that you don't need a running game in Goodell's NFL.:facepalm:

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep....this is his year. There are too many HOFers,media,and players saying that its long over due.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Man he better get in this year. There will never be another Bus.

13. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I forget on how many can get in...but my guess is Bettis doesn't get in. I thought he would probably be a lock this year, but I really think there is a growing number people that aren't overly impressed with Bettis because of that 3.9 career ypc stat. Also I don't think he was ever 1st team All Pro <<Correction - Bettis was All Pro 3 times...that is a feather in his cap>>. I actually think there is a growing number of writers who would put Terrell Davis in over him even though he only played 6 seasons - but they were truly outstanding seasons.

The locks this year are Junior Seau, probably Orlando Pace & Marvin Harrison (which means Tim Brown probably does not make it), I also think Charles Haley may be a lock as well.

That leaves one or two more spots, right? My guess is Tony Dungy gets in before Bettis and probably Kurt Warner as well who was a two time MVP, two time All Pro, SB MVP, 3 SB appearances, and generally has had his balls licked by the media and former players since he has been at the NFL Network.

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    There is no way in hell TD should get in the HOF,, let alone before Bettis gets in.

15. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't think he should either, but Terrell Davis is kind of a Sandy Koufax type candidate. Few years, but truly great years.

Also I don't want to imply that Bettis doesn't have a pretty good shot of making it. He could get in over Warner, Haley, or Dungy. I think Warner and Dungy should both wait as neither have absolutely compelling cases for being a 1st ballot guy.

I guess Dungy will get in because of being the 1st African American coach to win the SB. Personally - I think if he makes it and considering that Marv Levy made it, how can Bill Cowher never even be a finalist. Bill Cowher has more wins than both, a better winning % than Levy, and better playoff record than Dungy. For all the criticism of Cowher as a guy who choked in the playoffs he actually had a decent 12-9 playoff record. Jimmy Johnson is a finalist and he only coached 9 years and he missed the playoffs more years than not while coaching the Dolphins, Cowher was in the playoffs like 10 of 15 years despite his team being ravaged by free agency.

If Bettis doesn't get in this year, next year he'll again have a pretty good shot as Brett Favre is the only sure 1st Ballot HOF next year.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wish this would be a class of Hofers that deserved to get in along time ago....C.haley,J.Bettis,k.Greene,T.Dungy,LC greenwood,and two more....pick em

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Bettis does get in this year.

If Kevin Greene, Tony Dungy, Kurt Warner and Terrell Davis never get into the HOF, that is ok with me.
    I have mixed feelings on LC Greenwood, he'll have to get as the 'old timers' selection. He's had 25 chances for entry and didn't get in, that probably means you're borderline at best.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I like Davis and Greene but I don't think they get in. In TD's case you can't put people in the Hall based on "what might have been". He was a great player and I really liked him but the Hall is for people that were great over a long period of time. He just couldn't stay healthy enough to go the distance. KG is one of my favorite players and was fun to watch. He was a sack machine. I still don't know if he gets in though. He has been on the ballot a lot. The Bus deserves it though. I don't think Warner does either. He's borderline but I just don't think he had enough longevity to make it in.

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    LC Greenwood belongs in the HOF. Period. A couple of things that really irk me on this...

The (no championships) Vikings have TWO D-linemen in the HOF: Alan Page and Carl Eller. There is a movement to get Marshall in, too. Now think about that: the STEEL CURTAIN has 1/4 of the linemen in, but the Vikings have half and might have 3/4???

NO. Simply NO.

Add to this that the Vikings' line got destroyed by the Dolphins, and then by the Steelers, and then by Raiders, in three Super Bowls in four seasons.

Now, as for LC Greenwood's play, take this one added factor into the equation: in Super Bowl IX he was nose to nose with HOF lineman Ron Yary. He simply blew up Yary all game long. Yary couldn't block him to save the universe. In fact, it was a laughable match-up.

20. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I thought the same thing about Curtis Martin, who now proudly has had his bust and yellow jacket for a few years.

21. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I really cannot understand why so many people have a problem with Curtis Martin - he is a HOF back and more-so than Bettis.

Total rushing yards - Martin 14,101, Bettis 13,662
    TD's - Martin - 90, Bettis 91
    YPC - Martin 4.0, Bettis 3.9
    Playoff avg yards per game - Martin (10 games) 18 carries for 80 yards, Bettis (14 games) 14 carries 49 yards

And then the biggest thing is Martin was a dual threat back
    Career Catches, Yards, TDs - Martin 484 catches for 3329 yards 10 TDs//Bettis 200 catches for 1449 yards 3 TDs

22. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The stats are pretty similar. There's a difference of just 450 career yards. Yes, martin was the better back catching the ball.

But stats don't tell the whole story. Bettis is iconic; Martin isn't.

We have the highlights: Bettis has several runs (running over players) that live on. Do you remember any of Martin's runs? I don't.

Furthermore....Bettis was/is a huge figure on and off the field. Bettis has been one of the most recognizable NFL celebs of the past 20 years. If Bettis and Martin walked through an airport, who'd be mobbed or pointed out? I take the "Fame" part of the title a little literally. It isn't the Hall of Good Stats. No knock on Martin, but he simply isn't an ICON. Bettis has been for 20 years.

23. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Look I agree with you on a lot of things, for example, I think you and I are in complete agreement that Tom Brady while being a great QB is someone who has made his living off of completing 5-7 yard slants, screens, and out passes...i.e. there is no memory of Brady regularly slinging the ball 20-30 yards on a rope.

But I beg to differ on Martin vs. Bettis. They both deserve to be in, but Martin deserves a lot of credit for his consistency and the diversity of his game and probably deserved it a little more. Keep in mind too that Bettis got some greater notoriety in the public because he played for a more iconic franchise at the time too. New England was not yet a juggernaut and of course the Jets never have been.

I place value on the consistency of numbers over a career. I remember Michael Irvin getting in as either a 1st ballot or 2nd ballot guy meanwhile Art Monk who was the best clutch go to receiver of his time for like 10 years waited for 10 plus years just because in the eyes of guys like Peter King he didn't have a signature catch.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Any truth to the rumor that Marshall's bust would face the opposite direction of all the others?

25. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Very clever response. And if LC ever gets in maybe they could put his gold shoes by his gold bust.