1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cortez Allen....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Jan 25, 2015.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Is he another Dwayne Washington for us? Can't cover(don't know where the ball is)..overpaid...and was signed out desperation rather then skills?!

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He has skills, or at least he did in college. We'll see if perhaps some new coaching can get him back on the right track.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if he don't take a pay cut (3 milion sb in march ) i would cut him and save 1,5 milion,
    prove in the camp if he is worth the money ...

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think he is a #1 or #2 CB . Might make a good nickle or dime guy , but we have a bunch of those guys.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Whats his situation contract wise? If the Steelers don't pay the $3million, I take it he is a free agent?

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no he is due to take 3 milion in march and then other 3 milion if is on the roster in the first game of new season , basically if you give him the first pay check you have to pay him the other in septmeber and is a lock to make the roster . if we can move this 3 milion in march in septmber we could see his improvment in camp before the choice . otherwise it's a jump in the dark . he count 6 milion vs cap next season .if you cut him now you eat 5 milion nd save 1milion

,http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6646/cortez-allen

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...7347425/steelers-2015-salary-cap-cortez-allen

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dewayne Washington?!!!!?? Come on man.... you realize Washington had 19 interceptions over 6 years as a Steeler?

He was the best cb on the Steelers during those years.

If anyone was a disappointment it was Ricardo Colclough.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. The Steelers would need to cut him to not pay the roster bonus.

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Colclough was definitely a 2nd round disappointment. He has been cut by four NFL teams and four CFL teams but is still not technically retired.

10. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013

Agree Dewayne Washington was GOOD for many years :)

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe you were referring to Chad Scott? I feel they will keep him, pay him and hope without Ike in his ear he can come around. Personally I would cut him. But that's just me. Admit the mistake and move on.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    when will they start to announce cuts ?

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Chad Scott? He had 19 interceptions as a Steeler too.

I think Cortez can turn it around, but all the money they save cutting him is really, REALLY tempting.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    he should take a pay cut , if released nobody would give him more than 2 milion , if he cut the 3 milion rbonus he can prove in camp if is recovered and save his contract .

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Forgive me if I'm not reading this right. But you seem to be suggesting that somehow PGH can cut Cortez, save the $3mil and still bring him to camp with a redone incentive laden contract, and cut him again if he stinks in camp, am I understanding this correctly?
    This may be possible, but if they cut Allen, I'd bet he'd go anywhere first and the Steelers would be his last resort. Maybe this is low risk, maybe he has no market value elsewhere, maybe it's no great loss if he does. But I suspect if you save the $3 mil now, he's as gone for good.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no i'm suggesting the steelers should say to allen you are not worth the 6 milion that you are due to earn in the next months (3in march and 3 in septmeber , ) so if you want to stay and come to the camp you have to take a pay cut ( giving up the 3 milion roster bonus ) then come in camp and if we see you are worth the contract we will decide at the end of august if we want to pay you the 3 milion remaining and keep the contract for the future as it is . basically he has to give up the rbonus otherwise we would cut you now .. as a free agent he will never find a team payng more than 2 milion for next year .so he can think about him

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Gotcha. I didn't get that you were offering a pay cut. Thanks for the explanation

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    your welcome ..:thumbs_up:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with trying to do something with the $3 million roster bonus. However, it's tough to gauge whether they would be able to get Allen to take a significant pay cut, or whether he would think that he would have market value and choose to be released instead. Many times players get really bad advice from agents in these kinds of situations. The thing is - what to do if he says "no" to a pay cut, and prefers to be released? I know he was awful this season, but he was on the rise heading into it. For all of the bad 2014 tape, there's plenty of promising pre-2014 tape. I think most of us thought that resigning him for the dollars that we resigned him to represented a good deal for what we had seen heading into 2014. Bottom line is we really don't know what went on behind the scenes, and what the deal was with his injuries.

I'm hoping there's a way to get something done that reduces that roster bonus and shifts the money to the out years - maybe splitting the $3 million between a signing bonus and increased future salary to share the risk.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

On on the other hand, all you need is one team, with oodles of cap room, that believes they're getting a good player who had one bad yr. 31 teams might think he's not worth $2mil, but if there's one willing to give him $3 mil,away he goes.

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    then goodbye to me seems foolish to invest 6 milion on c.allen after what he did this year while you can save 1,5 milion and sign mcain for that price

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...7347425/steelers-2015-salary-cap-cortez-allen

This will explain it as far as showing Allen to the door. Agents will play hard ball, that's what they are paid for. Their is no way the agent will back off and do any kind of contract altering. Allen will be paid whether he is in uniform for the Black and Gold or not. Nice work if you can get it. The Woodley dead money is a killer.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cortez is the elephant in the room for sure,will the Steelers pull the trigger on him?Time will tell.