1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 NFL Draft will go down as Worst draft in 10 years

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Jan 25, 2015.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Throughout the season and now that we are past the College All-Star games, I am still completely underwhelmed.

Upon reviewing history, there have been a few drafts that have gone down as absolutely clunkers as far as Top end talent goes.

The 2005 draft was a deemed a failure only a few shorts years after it took place. Other than a future HOF'er in Aaron Rodgers and one of the best pass rushers in Demarcus Ware, there wasn't a lot of star power to come out of that first round. Granted there were solid contributors such as Heath Miller, Logan Mankins, Roddy White, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Davis & Derrick Johnson. The lists of busts at the top too many to count.

2006 tried to turn it around but failed perhaps even worse.

2007 saw a rebound, but its overall grade takes a serious hit when a guy like Jamarcus Russell goes #1 overall. Still, few drafts since can hold the number of player still making an impact on the game today.

2008 will go down as a bad draft class, but far from disastrous.

2009 took another step backwards as the Top 12 was littered with busts.

With the exception of disaster picks like Tyson Alualu and Tim Tebow, 2010 may very well be one of the strongest draft class at the top since 2004.

If 2010 was one of the strongest classes, than 2011 IS the strongest class in recent memory. This first round is littered with pro bowlers and All Pros from every position.

While perhaps too early to tell, the early returns on 2012 & 2013 are not favourable overall.

While definitely too early to make many predictions, I will anyways, and declare the 2014 as another STRONG draft class.

I see 2015 taking another giant step backwards.

When I look at the QBs, I don't see a single franchise QB amongst in the mix. Jameis Winston may have all the tools to be successful, he has none of the intangibles. His career will flame out early. Marcus Mariota has won the National Title and Heisman, but he is a system QB. Only a reunion with Chip Kelly will extend his career in the NFL past 5 years. His game just does not translate to the NFL. Past those two, I just don't see alot of talent at the position, and it will likely to be a relative unknown who will emerge as the best signal caller of this crop.

If the 2014 was known for its WRs, the 2015 draft will go down as the year of the RB. The majority of names including Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Abdullah should become house hold names. Others like Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jeremy Langford, David Cobb, David Johnson, Cameron Artis-Payne & Michael Dyer will be vying to make a name for themselves. 2008 was regarded as a strong RB class. I think 2015 will be even stronger.

The WR class in 2015 is shaping up as a nice one but certainly not elite. Amari Cooper is clearly the best, but he is far from being a lock for multiple pro bowls. There just doesn't seem to be a prospect who has all of the elite tools.

The TE is not impressive.

There will be several OTs go in the 1st round this year, and there may be a couple of solid contributors from the group but overall the talent is just not there.

I doubt there is a 1st round OG in the mix.

I still don't know if Cameron Erving is an OT or a C, but I know he will be a solid football player. I don't see alot of future NFL Centers in this group.

While I think RBs are the strongest group in 2015, pass rushers aren't far behind. My money is on Shane Ray as being the best of the bunch, but Gregory, Fowler, Orchard, Beasley, Dupree, and Mauldin also look the part as well.

DTs doesn't look to be too deep but it may have 2 picks in the Top 10 with Williams and Shelton. I personally think Williams is vastly overrated and I don't think Shelton will live up to the Haloti Ngata comparison.

The CBs offer too many question marks and I don't see an elite cover man in the bunch with whom I don't have any concerns.

There is some good depth at the S position, but no one elite in my mind. Landon Collins is getting alot of hype but I don't think he is anything more than a late first round talent.

Outside of the RBs and pass rushers I see a first round void of a lot of talent. There's still time in the draft process to change my mind, but from where I sit today, I think this could easily be the worst draft since 2005 & 2006. There are few players to get excited about, especially from a Steelers perspective. I rarely vote for a "Trade Down" strategy, but I don't see any other choice. I think trading down and possibly even trading out of picks is a necessity.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure it's void of talent at the top but maybe just not what we are looking for this year. the corners are slow and underwhelming so this is the year to do your homework on them if you want one. the safeties are not speed merchants either in this class so again homework. there are some good OT's, good RB's and some good WR's, pass rushers and some decent overall LB'ers and a few TE's, just not those big gronk types but decent overall guys. I think this is going to happen every couple of years because of how many guys came out last year early. it lessens the following year.

erving is as solid as they come. harris is a good safety. walford is a good TE. lippett and locket and Montgomery and the kid from bama will be good wr's. many of the so called can't miss types from the SEC were taken down a notch this year and exposed a little, so digging into these schools that were never top programs have some good players on their squads so finding those gems takes a little more doing. the draftniks don't look to those near as hard in most years, so they are stating this as a weak draft. things will change up the closer we get. the thing is don't panic and trade down, but do the homework and find the guys that can play. :cool:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Eh, don't agree with that prediction. For every guy someone doesn't like, you'll find a bunch that do.

Drafting is not an exact science.

Every team needs good role players too, the offensive side is pretty set, a guy like Koyak would be a great fit.

Defense needs more star power than role players, I've seen some interesting edge rushers so far and some people here are touting the CB class as pretty good. Everyones evaluating skills are different.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I see some good Talent in this draft . The CB'S are going to run faster than they are projected. Some of the DL are going to do some freakish stuff at the combine .

The QB class is better than some think IMO.Some very nice WR'S the top 5 will; be beast IMO. Overall this draft may produce more starters than any in the last 10 years.

IMO the College level of talent was better this year than in years past as a result better talent playing against better talent IMO leading the draft people to speculate a weak draft class and I think they are dead wrong.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have just started my review process, but I was also underwhelmed all season. I'm really happy that we don't need to draft a QB, as I see no franchise QBs. Mariota and Winston have potential, but I think they're both less than 50/50 to ever be a pro bowl caliber QB. I like the RBs and WRs a lot. I think I like the WRs more than SC NB does. I think some of the pass rushers at the top are really good, but I also think the really good ones are gone by pick #22.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think walford would be a better fit.:smiley1::cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbsdown:
    We never agree on TE's :lolol:

And funny you are the one backing the TE that cant block!

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    can't block? quite the contrary. he does a good job of blocking. he got better as the season went too. walford is one tough hombre. uses his body well for the catch and what he did for duke Johnson and Miami's run game was far and away better than your boy last year. there is also some negative thoughts on koyak coming from the coaches at the SR. bowl. walford the opposite. better dig deeper my friend. LOL:smiley1::cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Admittedly I haven't watched Walford, but some reviews of him said he needs work on his blocking.

I watch Koyak, like what I see, dont need to dig deeper, thats the guy I'm pimping this year :smiley1:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Clive Walford, TE, Miami

A day after Miami teammate Phillip Dorsett earned rave reviews from everybody at Ladd-Pebbles Stadium, Wednesday marked Walford's turn to put on a show. He was easily the "wow" guy among the pass-catchers and did a solid job of blocking during team periods as well. He's a complete mismatch for all of the linebackers and safeties at the event, and showed why he could be the top guy at the position in the 2015 draft. "Clive was the best player out here all day. He's been great," NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "He's such an athletic pass-catcher."

I'm a huge Miami fan and have watched them for 25+ years. I know all about this kid. Miami has several top guys we would do well to look at. gunter too at corner and could even play well as a safety. they also have a good wr,OT,LB and C going to be available in this draft. walford is a stud though. :cool: