1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brad Wing Signed To A One Year Extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 23, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The Steelers have signed Punter Brad Wing to a one year extension.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Bizarrely, I was thinking about posting a new thread about Wing earlier today.

My question was going to be whether we've finally found some consistency at the punter position, and if Wing may stay here for a while... well, seems like this answers my question.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well so much for my theory of us taking a punter in the first two rounds.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, they'd do that in the 3rd round.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess they see something to him. Not really sure what his stats are, but I'm assuming this signing more on potential than performance.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    They signed P Richie Leone to a future's contract earlier. He was with the Ravens last summer as an UDFA. He'll be Wing's competition in camp.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Man I wish I could kick a ball because these guys are sorry...but we have no one else

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Wingnut was 29th in average, 20th in net, and 28th at putting it inside the 20. Not very exciting. That's the downside.

The upside is he shanked a bunch, and being a rookie, that number should go down substantially, which will improve the above numbers, along with a year of experience improving the numbers.

It's a 1 year deal, most likely with minimal signing bonus, and we will have competition for the position. It gives us stability at a position.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah they're like "QB that'll never see the field? Check." "Undersized RB that can't pass protect? Check." "Punter???? Get right on that!"

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well that number is skewed a little because when they went on that winning streak he was asked to get a lot of hang-time. His yards on returns was 12th though. So I think on average they're happy with what they're asking him to do. Minus the few shanks he had at horrible times...

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    He was an exclusive rights free agent, so there will be no signing bonus.

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Early in the season he was far from reliable, but he seemed to grow into the role. Like you say, he did what was required of him. Punting stats are always a little misleading like that. I remember how Sepulveda often outkicked the coverage, so when Mitch Berger - who was, to all extents and purposes, a worse punter in comparison - came in, our special teams improved.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I loved Sep though. I wish they would have just made him a linebacker. LOL.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My recollection is that Wing was an excellent punter in college, particularly in terms of dropping the ball inside the 20. I think the potential is there for him to be a quality NFL punter, and he seemed to improve over the course of the season. I think this is a good re-signing.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, they signed him for one additional year. So, that's how much confidence they have in him. One season's worth, which means they're going to keep looking.

On a side note, wonder how he would do if w/ under-inflated balls?
    Sorry...

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we can do better than this.

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Probably, but in reality we can do better at every position.

Wing is good enough and plays one of the least important positions in the game. We should just lock him down for like 10 years and call it good. Why wait until he starts booming kicks and commands a bigger salary? And even if he never reaches a spectacular level of play, at least he's good enough to be average. Which is all anyone ever needs at the P position.

I like the signing, but should've been much longer than 1 year.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you are selling the punt a game a bit short . A punter that can kill the ball inside the 10 is as valuable as any other spot on the roster. A great punter is a Defenses secret weapon .Offenses close the playbook up when they are pinned deep.

A bunch of games are won and lost each season because of ST play. Do I want to draft a punter in the top 3 or 4 rounds ? No way with all the holes we have but it would be smart to try and find a good punter it will help your entire Team.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His punt killed them in the Tennessee game. I think he showed improvement throughout the year though, I feel he will be even better next season.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I was gonna say about the punter. In this offensive minded league where teams are eating up chunks on just a few plays it is really important to win the field position battle. Especially when your d is suspect anyway. The farther you can keep them from being able to score points the better. Punters play a huge role in that. That's the one thing about Suisham that I wish he could do better. His leg just is what it is but it would be great to be able to never let Jacoby Jones out of the end zone.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Clearly they see some potential with Wing for him to grow ... he is barley average right now in my mind though, but every once in a while he has some really nice kicks.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ah Mitch Berger - our punter the year of SB XLIII vs Ariz - he had this uncanny ability to shank punts off the backs and helmets of the other team's deep punt blockers who didn't see the shanks coming. We recovered several of these muffs throughout the season - I dubbed the plays - "on-side punts" which while an odd skill - was a skill that helped us continue drives in an unusual manner and led us to the SB that year. Go figure. :shrug:

23. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Punters... just an odd breed, really.