1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooney won't rule out tagging Worilds again?????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Jan 21, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    By all means sign the guy, but franchise tag him?? You have got to be kidding me. I said 5-6 million before but 6-7 mill might be more realistic for him. Not 12 million.

Since we don't make big splashes in free agency, I always wonder why we have been so close to the cap. Moves like this would explain some of that (if it went down like that). I know keeping the vets for another SB run had a lot to do with it in the past couple years. But I don't think the franchise tag is an option here in any way shape or form.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/0...ossibility-tagging-steelers-lb-jason-worilds/

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I say let him walk, take the draft pic we get for him leaving nxt year.. Its not like he is a play maker, he has had one solid season since he has been hear, he is nothing speacial.

3. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Jebus...if they're willing to shell out that kind of money...Just break the bank and get Houston. At least then you'll get something for your money instead of paying damn near 2mill per sack.

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree, 1 solid season accumatively stretched out over what 5 years now? No thanks. Obviously last season at near or after the half way point was his swan song... He can't play against left tackles and his overall game is avg at best. Let him loose.

work out a good deal if nothing else to patch work for depth etc... but tagging him with top tier cash is insane

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how about tag your it. clean your locker out we need the room. that's the only way I'd tag him again, but you know Colbert.:facepalm::cool:

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Unfortunately yeah, you, I and we do... It'll be interesting, but by know means do I tag him nor pay more than top 15-20 for him. Moats would've been just as effective if not more given a full season of snaps and that's not really hard to argue

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    There is no way he gets tagged. I rarely speak in absolutes, but there is just absolutely no way they tag him again this year.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    to be honest, moats and james Harrison would be my priority to get signed so we do have someone to go with JJ for the short term. both could be signed for less than we paid worilds last year. hojo,zumwalt and a draft pick would be next in line to try. at least we know we would have some cover with JH and moats.:cool:

9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Bingo...not sure of the QB hurry/knockdown/sacks with Harrison and Moats combined. Wouldn't be shocked if it were equal to Worilds.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    As much as I love JH92, It would be hard for me to see him going thru a full training camp and season and still be effective going down the stretch. I doubt they re-sign him, but I hope they keep his number on speed dial for a mid-season injury replacement. But then again, he may not want to come back at that point in the season. FO needs to due their homework and get a replacement once and for all.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    God I hope not... I don't even want him back at starter level pay, because I don't see him as more than a fringe starter. I think he's too streaky to be counted on for 16 games. Yeah, he'll look dominant as a pass rusher once in a while against a right tackle that he matches up well against, but he usually stinks in run defense (gets KILLED when the outside run is run to his side), and has very long droughts where he provides little or no pressure. To me he's a fringe starter, and we need an upgrade. We need to find a legitimate right OLB and move JJ to Worilds' old spot at Left OLB. That's what my eyes tell me anyway.

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The only players I'm really in favor of breaking the bank on are absolute difference makers. Worilds has not, is not, and more than likely never will be that. So I say let him walk UNLESS he tests the market and doesn't get what he's asking for and then comes back and takes his pay cut along with a slice of humble pie. This defense is in need of playmakers and locking down a guy that's not a playmaker for the long term would just be stupid if you ask me. If we are really going back to Blitzburg Worilds is not the future.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please Steelers do not over pay him.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree.

I tihnk the rest of the league knows this as well, which makes me wonder why Rooney went to the bother of saying it. But I'm guessing it wouldn't make sense for him to be revealing any re-signing strategies just yet.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we tagged starks two times i wouldn't be surprised but i would be depressed

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes, exactly. I would not be surprised at all if we franchise Worilds the way this team has operated recently.

Just let the guy walk and re-sign Moats for 2-3 years. If we franchise Worilds I'll be so :facepalm:....I'm not opposed to re-signing the guy as he can be dynamic, but let's stay away from the franchise tag.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not advocating Harrison or moats start, which will keep them fresh over the season. that's for JJ and whomever else we bring along to start, but with these two we cover our butts throughout the season. a nice rotation may be the best we can hope for this year. moats had 4 sacks playing part time as opposed to worilds 7.5 playing full time. the money difference alone signs JH and moats with money left for the new guy. there is that much difference.

I'd also prefer Harrison teaching the new group, moats included, a work ethic and pass rush skills than I would worilds. run defense too.:cool:

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    What's funny is that it still seemed as though the team was trying to get rid of Starks because there were multiple times where Ben was wearing his jersey at camp as a statement saying he wanted him back.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wonder if ben feels the same since he's not getting sacked as much? though he is probably happy about the gilbert re-signing. feels like old times.:facepalm::cool:

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately I don't care much for Art RooneyII. He has backed the one of the worst commissioners ad nauseam and stands side by side with this clown. He nor any of the 32 owners care less about anything but the money train. Now his boy has another controversy to deal with before the biggest game of the year. Guess they will have to pry Rog out of his underground bunker hiding place to address another cheating scandal from the Cheatriots. Or another sweep under the rug...

Captain obvious with the secondary Artie, guess he has been reading this message board :lolol:

And giving Worilds the transition tag again would be crazy, but the OLB position is in tatters right now.

Oh, and get busy with signing Ben, then and only then the other pieces will fall into place.

Why don't you take a page from your legendary Grandfather and Father and speak less...

21. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Beachum gives up sacks and pressures at a rate that would have gotten Starks shot.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    most of his trouble comes from the guard next to him.:cool:

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Sadly that is correct. I think we are the biggest detractors of Gilbert around here and it would be really interesting to hear how Ben REALLY feels about these guys that give up sack after sack and pressure after pressure. I know he plays nice with the media but SURELY he has to let these guys know how he feels when he's getting drilled like crazy. Gilbert, Adams, and Foster are consistently beaten and if WE notice it then you KNOW he has to!

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, he doesn't completely back him, Steelers are the only organization to vote against the CBA because they felt Goodell has to much power. IIRC.