1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What if the Steelers played with deflated balls?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 21, 2015.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    OK. All joking aside.

Would they have won the SB XLV against the Packers?

Would Mendenhall have held onto the ball more tightly when Clay Mathews hit him?

What the Patirots (Cheaters) did was unacceptable even if they did win by 38 points and it probably wouldn't matter anyways but to sweep this under the rug as I am sure they are working on doing with Gooddell is essentially compromising the integrity of the game.

I'm certain that many teams will stretch the boundaries of the rules and some probably get away with cheating week in and week out but to me the Patriots will always have *'s by every single accomplishment in both the past and the future. Including a possible victory next Sunday night.

At half time, Katy Perry and the thousands of other performers should dress as a bunch of *'s.

I talk to Pats fans and the answer I get is big deal, so they had deflated balls, so what.

My answer is what next?

Belicheat has been caught again. Suspend him right now for the SB!. Fine him and Kraft and take away at keast 4 draft picks.

If that's not happening then eliminate them from next year post season play plus ineligible to draft first three rounds in 2016 so they can't tank on purpose.

What should the punishment be this time?

Thoughts?

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if they find a prove ,i mean it's clear but they have to find the proves they deliberate inflated on the sideline , they should get penalized hard

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Sometimes it seems like we do.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm 58. I know the feeling.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Just a stupid question. I've been reading that under inflated balls are easier to grip and throw. I read a thing from Aaron Rodgers where he said he preferred an over inflated ball as he found that easier to throw. Obviously there are limits, if a ball is too deflated, at some point it will too hard to throw. If it's too over inflated, nobody will be able to grip it. Would it make a mockery of the game to let teams pick the level of inflation they prefer and have one less thing to police? I can't believe we see teams playing with flat footballs or rugby sized balloon balls.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Depending on what you where doing as to what type of balls Teams would use . If throwing it long more air makes it go further. If throwing short less air makes it easier to catch .

If running of course less air easier to hold on . Punting and kicking more air equals more distance better chance of turn overs .

Pretty common stuff High School Teams have special balls for special situations all the time . There are advantages to be gained that's 4 sure.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Why not just take it out of the team's control entirely and make all game balls provided by the league at the start of the game? Seems obvious...

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    exactly, boom done.

9. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I think their egos are inflated enough to overcompensate for underinflated balls!

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Far too sensible.

What I find amusing about this debate is the whole: "it doesn't matter because they won by a huge margin."

Which entails that deflated balls did nothing to really affect the game.

Which logically entails that even if the game was won by one point, the deflated balls wouldn't be an issue.

Which by extension entails that the margin of victory has nothing to do with whether this is an important issue or not.

Ergo, it doesn't matter what the score was. What matters was whether a rule was deliberately broken. If it doesn't matter whether the rules are broken or not, then there doesn't seem to be much point in playing the game.

11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Good point!
    Sometimes these games appear to be predetermined already who moves on and who stays home.

Look at the GB meltdown.
    My eyes still tell me that it was rigged.

Why not just shuffle 70,000 people into a stadium, sell them an over priced hot dog and semi cold beer, have the coin flip, then tell them thanks for attending.

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I had no idea that each team's offense provided their own balls. Seems like an easy enough fix for the NFL..... but man, what a PR nightmare they've created.

13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

They have been really good at that lately!

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I guarantee you that this will be the case next year.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Each team provides 12 balls for inspection 2 hours before game time, upon passing inspection, they are then secured before game time.

For reasons unknown, that protocol wasn't followed this time.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The protocol was reportedly followed. The balls are not secured. They are taken after inspection and given to the team's ball boy apx. 10 minutes before the game.

17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't give a rats butt. they cheated period. The only way you will stop them from cheating is right fu**in now. Send the colts to the superbowl for the afc and make biliecheat pay a fine and sit out a year like Peyton in NO

18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They interviewed a retired ref on Mike and Mike this am. He took them through the protocol. If it was followed, it's really bad for the Pastries. Balls are tested 2:15 before kickoff. Those that are under/over inflated are pulled aside and put in parameters. Then 10 min before kick off, like you said, they are delivered to the sidelines. That means that the Pastries balls were delivered to them meeting spec and someone **** ed with them on the sidelines. They were then tested again at halftime (not clear if this was standard procedure or because the Colts concerns) and ALL of the balls were under inflated with only one being less than 2 psi out of range at which point they were brought back to spec.

[video]http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/relatedvideos?id=12205404&backText=Home+-+ESPN&back=http%3A%2F%2Fm.espn.go.com%2Fwireless%2 F%3Fw%3D1esj4%26i%3DCOMR%26rand%3Dref%257E%257B%25 22ref%2522%253A%2522http%253A%252F%252Ft.co%252FPu QOuvVYpV%2522%257D%26src%3Ddesktop&wjb[/video]

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if they have the prove they did it should be the right thing to do

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Quality journalism strikes again. Sad that you need to go around fact checking everything you read now. :rules:

Going to be next to impossible to pin this on BB, for all anyone knows, an overzealous ball boy tried to give his team the edge.

21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    More likely they'll ignore it and hope it goes away.

Or take away a draft pick that they've already traded to someone else, or something.

The one thing I don't understand is why do it in this game, of all games (presuming it's not been done before, which would of course now be in question). The Colts weakness is rush defense. Just seems an odd thing to try. Against the Seahawks I could maybe understand it more...

22. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, BFTs job won't last long...

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Now players are saying N.E has prob been doing this years, they said it explains why Brady is so good in inclement weather, it kinda makes since,, ... just something to think abt.

24. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would ban belicheat for life , he is the man the orchestrated all these bull****

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Honestly, it's probably a personal preference thing by each QB. I know it's not the same, but when I play soccer, I have a certain feel I prefer the ball to be.... some guys like it harder some softer. Problem is that the NFL has it's guidelines that should be adhered too. I also heard that the testing goes on indoors, while cold game time temps can and will affect those readings if they were to re-check outside vs inside.