1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Saw this in comments on a Yahoo Steeler story

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lewisha, Dec 22, 2014.

1. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Oh, and by the way you losers, Mike Tomlin is our head coach because of the Rooney Rule. Not the one to which you refer, but the one that started with Arthur J. Rooney in 1969. You hire the best damned coach you can find, you stand by him so long as he does the job and never loses the team, and, when your coach decides it’s time to step down, you hire the best damned coach you can find, and you stick with him. Three head coaches in 45 years, and the best record in football in that time. That’s the Pittsburgh Rooney rule, you stupid asshats. Tomlin ain’t goin’ nowhere!!!!
    Point made, I think.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here's one I saw on another site.

Now that the team has made the playoffs, fairweather fans, the same one calling for heads, trades, and other nonsense, are cheering like they've always supporting the team. Don't kid yourself. Over the past 2 years only a select few had faith in the team and understood that the team was in a transition period. So if you're a fan that couldn't handle the losses, you don't deserve to relish in the wins. Might as well be a Browns fan.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It seems the bigger the game the better the Steelers play. The lesser competition and they usually play very flat.

This is one trait that I cannot stand about MT's coaching ability. Other coaches stumble with a few of the same type of underschievement games here and there but with the Steelers under coach Tomlin it seems to be more of a pattern.

They should play every NFL game with the same focus and determination but obviously they do not.

4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This^^^^!!!!! When they play teams with a losing record it isn't just a few mistakes here and there by a few players, the entire team looks as if it hasn't practiced at all. That is what fans get upset at but now that the regular season is just about over a few things have come to light, good teams having trouble with, and/or losing to lesser competition has become common place just about every week, so it isn't just the Steelers but it did seem to happen to us almost every game against a weak opponent. I was never a "fire Tomlin" fan until this season and while it isn't all his fault it appears things that are broken on the team never get fixed or even look like they had been addressed. I like Tomlin but yesterday was the first time I've been happy with the game plan, the offense was fair but the defense, while not stellar, did play well and the sacks all cam at perfect times and it was the first time the team looked balanced all year and that is on the coach, even with some new blood.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dumbest thing I've ever read. I didn't have faith in this team to win because we weren't winning and we didn't does anything to say that we were a good team. I still supported this team as much as anyone. I went to bed happy when they won and angry when they lost. I spend $50 per month on the NFL Sunday ticket so that I don't miss any steelers games. I'm a shift worker that has to work every other Sunday. I have to use 24 vacation hours every month in order to sit at home and watch the steelers games. I spend thousands every year on steelers memorabilia and jerseys. So I don't need some jackoff telling me I'm not a real fan or I should be cheering for another team.

I stood behind my team, but I didn't expect them to be very good because they weren't very good. I didn't know being delusional was a requirement for being a fan.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've never liked the "a real fan........" type posts. Fans put in a lot of time and $$ that earn them the right to complain or vent.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I often try, but I fail to understand why some fans feel the need to judge other fans.

9. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Seems like a passive aggressive thing for some guys on this MB, to post comments from others, trying to get a point across using someone else's words instead of their own.

10. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah basically. I've come to expect it from a couple people on here. Supporting a team doesn't mean predicting they go 16-0 every year.

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly. Besides being the shift worker, this is me to a T. I am so sick of people thinking they can label others as a fair weather fan. How does anyone have the right to determine who is what kind of fan? Worry about yourself.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You see it a lot on hockey message boards lots of hate for Pens fans as bandwagon jumpers. Not to disparage Canadian fans but I encountered it a lot from them. Most are great and talk hockey with anyone but a very vocal few who throw out the you can't possibly be as big a fan as me because I'm Canadian and it's our game. I tend to avoid those as they aren't looking for a spirited debate more like a kindergarten fight.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The first two posts on this thread are absolutely ridiculous! I've been having a little fun with this "eating crow" thing which I'm happy to do. It's all in good fun. But when another fan questions my "fanhood" either directly or indirectly by quoting other sources, they've stepped over the line at that point. I've been a Steelers fan since the 70s. I've stuck with the team for 40 years now through thick and thin. I didn't jump off the bandwagon through the lean years. I DON'T have a "second favorite team" (can't understand this one). It's the Steelers or bust! Just because I have some criticism of the head coach, which I still feel is justified, doesn't make me or others fair weather fans!

So cut the crap those of you that want to question people's fandom. It's ridiculous. I don't mind playing along and trying to be a good sport and, yes, even eat a little crow, but the first two comments from "other sources" were idiotic and provocative. As a true fan, I reserve the right to criticize our head coach, our offensive coordinator, out defensive coordinator, our GM, our owner, our quarterback, our running back, our linebackers, our strength and conditioning coach and our equipment manager when they deserve it! And contrary to what some people want to believe, that DOES NOT make me any less of a fan!

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I'll get back to eating my crow!

14. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I also saw this pic on Yahoo. Is it wrong of me to laugh?

[​IMG]

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We need to caption this:

But this stuff worked in college. I was Johnny Football. Now I'm Johnny "I want my momma"!

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  17. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011

:this!:

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Seems as if some of you are assuming a lot. I can't speak for the person who started this thread, but I was just adding to the discussion started by the OP by posting a similar type of comment from another website.
    I think most of you know that I don't need to hide behind somebody else's words, I'm quite capable of putting my foot in my own mouth!

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair enough, but then why post something that takes a shot at perhaps half the members on this board, especially when it's something that it appears you agree with (at least in part) based on previous posts of yours?

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Beat me on the head if you like, but I was still dissapointed in the number of no shows at yesterdays game. It was a great day to watch a football game.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Why post the same "Fire Tomlin" comments over and over? A good percentage of posts take shots at people here in some form or fashion, right?
    Discussion my friend.
    If you think those were my words I'll PM you a link to the site where they were posted.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good post.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No.

That site sounds more appropriate for that sort of discourse.

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I do it when it's relevant to the thread I'm in. I don't go out of my way to post that. But even if I did, that is discussion related to the team, which is what this site is for. I don't ever discuss whether or not someone is a real fan or less of a fan as I am because of some unrealistic standard that I have set.

If I didn't care about this team I wouldn't be so vocal about things I want changed. Just because you disagree with what I say doesn't mean anything in relation to how big of a fan I am of this team.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Shaner, you're taking this way too personal. The other guy started the thread. His post was very similar to something that I had just read minutes before. So I copied and pasted it. In retrospect maybe I should not have posted that.