1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you like your crow?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 21, 2014.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    this post is to see how many are willing to man up (or woman up) and give this coaching staff some props. a few weeks ago people didn't want him finishing the season and said no way this was a playoff team.

know if the coach is getting blamed for the loses then he has to get some credit for the wins. so please no of this ben and bell finally started playing better or the oline started blocking. all of which are true but that also contributed to the loses

I am not saying tomlin is great or do I want this to sound like I am but I would like to see who will admit to being wrong, cause that don't happen on here much.lol

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Haley seems to be getting it together:applaud:, :cool:

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, I was never the one to want Tomlin or Haley gone.

Tomlin is not the traditional X and Os head coach but relies heavily on his coordinators. I always said Tomlin is a good "manager" and good for Pittsburgh.

Haley has irritated everyone but I always said as long as we have Ben we don't change coordinators. Ben is too far in his career to be changing coordinators over and over again unless it was just awful.

But I still wouldn't mind Lebeau stepping down to give Butler his time and seek a different scheme on defense. Our blitzes are so predictable the offense is waiting on the blitzer. Additionally his system takes too long to learn and with today's rookie contracts they will be off to another team by time they learn it well enough.

4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'll do it, I have to admit, I expected the Steelers to have at least 13 wins. So, I guess I have to eat some crow.

On a side note, the only time I ever questioned whether or not Tomlin should be fired was after the miserable Browns game. Was I upset from the loss? Yes. Did I question how they would do over their next three games? Absolutely. Though he may never admit it while still the coach, he must have done something different since that day in early October.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey, Blast and mac are force feeding me crow in another thread even after I ate the first helping willingly. Might as well come here and eat some more. I think the entire coaching staff deserves credit. Tomlin didn't allow the team to fall completely apart even after inexcusable losses to the likes of the Jets and Bucs. Haley has the offense hitting on all cylinders and is doing a great job of utilizing all of his weapons, Ben, Bell, Brown, Heath and is doing a nice job of interspersing the young receivers. DL is also getting good play out of the unlikeliest of candidates and has rediscovered some of his lost magic.

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The first thing you should accept is there is no such thing as an inexcusable loss at the professional level.

7. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh and where are those who said that Coach T has no fire on the sideline, he seemed pretty fired up after that BS call on William Gay. He also has seemed fired up at the play of his defense the last 2 weeks sans the spit lol

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I will NEVER accept that. Losses to the Jets and Bucs this season are INEXCUSABLE! :)

9. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I was a Tomlin has to go guy, so I guess a good finish after 2 disappointing years brings out the crow, so I'll eat it. Make you feel better? Would still like to see improvement in his time management and hopefully we stop losing to bad teams.

10. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have to admit that, while I didn't post it here, I am on the guest list for the crow dinner party. I told several coworkers that Tomlin should go, even though I had defended him in the past. So...please pass the (Heinz) ketchup!:oops:

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, I still believe that there are deficiencies in Tomlin's coaching repertoire that need improvement. But as I've looked around the league at other HCs and at others who may be HC candidates, I've come to realize that the Steelers aren't going to do much better. Winning cures a lot of ills.

12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Coaching staff MVP - Mike Munchak

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still want Tomlin gone. With the talent we have on this team, I expect better. I expect better execution. I expect better discipline. I expect better development of young players. We're winning despite Tomlin not being a good coach, partly due to Ben, Brown and Bell, but also due to having 3 other former head coaches on our staff.

14. polyjb

polyjb Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    2 things

1) there is a first time for everything. And

2) making the playoffs doesnt suddenly make him a good coach. Yes you play who is on your schedule but lets face it the schedule was weak this year. They should be 10-5 at the worst. They still win despite tomlin not because of him.

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'd like to see better game management. I know there are those that will disagree with me on this, but...

My perfect example is the ending moments of the 1st half. The D comes up with a HUGE, emotional stop on 4th down. We've got 2 timeouts and :27 on the clock, and we know that the Chiefs are getting the ball coming out of the tunnel to start the 2nd half. WHY oh why did we sit on it to end the half? At least run a couple of safe screens, knowing they'd most likely be in prevent. Get 15-20 yards, call the timeouts, then bombs away to Bryant or Wheaton. Worst case, you get an INT. The Chiefs were out of timeouts. Wouldn't have mattered on that side of the ball.

This is what separates good coaches from great ones. The great ones would have stepped on their necks and twisted the boot. Ours wipes his brow, is comfortable with a 4 pt lead to kill the momentum, and let them try again in the 2nd half.

/rant off

But good job overall *today*.

16. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I guess I need to eat a little crow. I haven't been fervent about "FIRE Tomlin" - I have simply stated I am not sure I understand what he is trying to build and that is in combination with what I see as mistakes from LeBeau, Colbert, and ownership. I basically thought he deserved another year as long as we didn't see some utter collapse in December.

The best thing about today's game is in some ways it was the most complete game of the year by the Steelers. It wasn't beautiful, but it was efficient and I give immense credit to the patience the Steelers showed today in winning a game that really wasn't their style. So I do give the coaches some credit for seemingly putting it together by the end of the year and getting the players to play a very efficient solid game.

17. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    No....worst case is a pick six or Ben gets sacked and hurt or gets sacked and fumbles for a TD. A lot of bad scenarios to have happen with the lead

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That's hogwash, people used to say the same thing about BA when he was here. Pin everything on them when they lose and then give all the credit to everyone else when they win.

Tomlin has them headed in the right direction and they will continue to get better.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    They have done a good to great job this year. I love the emotion in Tomlin as of late. He is jumping around and on fire. He is a competitor and loves to win. What more can anyone say.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    This is bang on

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Right on !

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same for me. I think I did my normal 12-4 prediction, so I'll have mine with ketchup and a stout. I've never been on the fire Tomlin bus, though.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I believe Haley's offense is now clicking and really making Tomlin look better with each passing game.

I will give Tomlin props for this game but there is no doubt that he has some deficiencies.

That being said, he aint going anywhere anytime soon.

25. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    using that logic then he shouldn't factor in the losing either or does he get blamed for loses and no credit for wins?