1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our PS sure does seem do be targeted a lot.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Giants signed Center Adam Gettis away from us, I have no idea who he is but does it rub anyone else the wrong way that teams seem to be pilfering out system? I mean maybe this is normal and all teams lose this many but I can't remember losing this many in years past. These guys being taken aren't going to sit on another teams PS, they are getting a hat.

And if it's not normal and this is excessive, you'd think there would be an unwritten rule about targeting one teams PS so much.

2. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Remember, we can raid theirs too blast.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :roflmao:Ever since TTF posted that on the front page I have been waiting to see who was going to be first to take exception to it. Seriously I don't think these guys are huge losses or signings and when the season ends they can and will be signed to the offseason roster lol.

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It's been a pain in the rear lately... Seems we've all gotten a little uptight about prospects getting nabbed here and there... Kind of beckons the questions about our guys not developing the kids fast enough, or knowing how to plug them in and put people in places to strengthen the team. And while we can raid their cabinets as well, we aren't... Which could fit hand in glove to some of the questions I just brought up again.

I don't know im sure it's the same with every team for the most part, having fans and believers in their up and comers... But I for one would like to have Johnson back as well as Mauro and Williams if memory serves me right as the upsides ones that were plucked away.

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Don't despair they should all be available in a few short weeks. I think it speaks more about other teams ability to evaluate talent or lack thereof and their trust in a winning program.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Mauro is going to turn out to be a big loss.

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    maybe or maybe not, the only reason he was poached was due to injury now even if he has a half season near to what Worilds had last season he is going to be odd man out when they guy he replaced gets healthy so yes he may warrant a long term deal or just something like a three year one, or the Steelers knowing their mistake and the his value could offer him slightly more money and cut ties with Cam Thomas. The days of hoping to get bubble players on the cheap and keep them on the PS until needed is over. These guys made it through waivers and onto the PS the team knew the risks just like ever other team. Again nothing set in stone that the Jets don't cut Johnson, Mauro is handed his walking papers and so the process goes.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Total speculation on your part. Don't know why you have such a low opinion of PS players, they aren't always camp bodies, these are players thought to step in eventually, theres just not enough room on the roster. I think Mauro and Williams were definitely destined for roster spots.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The two that count - Johnson and Mauro - won't be available.

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't have a low opinion of them at all but I am realistic about their chances continuing to make a team after the players who have made the 53 are healthy and back and also taking into account new players that will be drafted or unsigned players that will be camp invites. That is a lot of quality football players that they have to compete with. I look at like that line from Rudy when the assistant coach explains the reality to all the walk on players. Now I am not saying that Johnson, Mauro, Williams and anyone else that has been poached don't have the stuff, because they showed they have enough to get us talking about them I'm saying that when it comes time to build a team will they have done enough to be considered to the off season roster.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The fact that these players are being taken and put into games speaks about their ability to play. And why do they have to be cut once whomever was injured has returned? Maybe they will be kept to come off the bench.

And the point of my OP was not, omg we lost Gettis, it was directed at the number of players taken from our squad this year, seems abnormally high.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes it has been which I still say speaks volumes about the teams taking them's scouting department and the Steelers as a franchise. Again nothing says they have to get cut and most of them will play out the season but the reason I say they will be let go is because when teams start making plans for the future they have to look at the roster. Most will get the option to attend camp with the team that poached them, some will even get contracts, but others will be in limbo. If Ryan gets the ax in New York chances are that a new staff is hired and maybe Johnson isn't in those plans. Maybe the Steelers have already identified a group of linemen that Munch likes and will bring to camp.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah no way are the Cards letting Mauro go he went from our practice squad to getting snaps for the cards in the same week. I think if the steelers had a time machine they would have let Thomas go and kept Mauro.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Alright did some research and yeah looks like Arians wanted Mauro from the get go and after the Seattle game said he would have given him the game ball had they won. So yeah quite possible he is staying put. Since he originally chose Pittsburgh instead of the Cards I thought he would be tempted to go back to the Steelers. In this case I was talking out my backside. I tend to do that at the end of the week.

15. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I was so pumped we got Mauro as a FA after the draft. My gut feels he will turn out to be a Aaron Smith clone.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wonder why we never do. I would have to think that of the 320 or so players sitting on practice squads around the NFL there's a promising defensive back or two out there

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are we investing enough in scouting? I too have wondered for years when we have a real or perceived weakness that we don't seem to address this problem?interesting debate. People think I am against the Steelers FO/HC I only want to see the Steelers return to their rightfull
    spot as the greatest franchise on the PLANET!
    I care FAR TOO MUCH about the steelers.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So, as I was drinking my morning coffee, clearing out the cobwebs, I decided to take a look at the practice squad rosters from the 31 other teams and see if there were any players that I would prefer over our active roster players. There were very few players that even came close. Maybe in place of Harris I would go with Rajon Neal of the Packers who was a RB at Univ of Tennessee last year. I really liked him a s a "feature" type of back, and we can use a good backup at the position. Another maybe was Kenjon Barner off of the Eagles PS. Many will remember him as a big play RB for Oregon who scored 23 TDs in 2012. I have to wonder if he's just a better player than Archer, and could actually do something positive to help the team.

I also love Yawin Smallwood, LB on the Titans' PS. I watched him play in person at least a dozen time at UCONN, and I am certain that he will be at least a solid backup in the NFL. I guess the only thing we could do to pick him up would be to release Garvin. I'm not sure I'd want to disrupt the special teams like that, but I see Garvin as having near zero potential as anything but a special teamer, and never understood what some other fans saw in him.

The pickings are slim.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The fact that our PS is pillaged so much blows the theory that Tomlin and Colbert can't evaluate talent out of the water.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    or that they are the only one that leave talent on ps .. maybe other teams ,when see talents in camp ,put them on the roster ...:shrug:

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That's one conspiracy theory.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There's something of a paradox here, that yours and Strummers post both raised the different ends of.

People keep purging our practice squad = suggests good scouting, solid system, people come to us to get good talent.

We don't address positions of need by taking from other team's PS = suggests poor scouting, inability to grow players into the positions we need, etc.

They can't both be right...

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they are two separate issues. The scouting is there as evident by players being taken from the PS but the coaching staff is hesitant to bring them up too soon, i.e., Mauro in place of Thomas. How much worse could he have done but yet seems to have a higher ceiling which would have been worth the risk to me.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Is the reason we don't poach the practice squads of other teams poor scouting or the team doesn't feel the players available fit their scheme?

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. The two players that bug me are Mauro and Johnson. Both showed solid promise, and that's why both are on active rosters elsewhere right now. I firmly believe that holding onto Cam Thomas was a bad personnel decision. I thought so from day 1, and his play has reinforced my belief. I would rather suffer rookie mistakes than the sub-mediocre play of a talentless vet. I think Johnson showed more ability than Hubbard, and that Hubbard would have been pretty safe on the practice squad. Neither should probably see the field this year, but at least Johnson showed upside in the form of the ability tp play left tackle at a high level in the SEC (if you're not sure, watch his tape from last season where he pretty much shut down Clowney mostly 1v1). I think we blew both of those personnel decisions, and now instead of having those two young players available to come up through the ranks we have to fully replace their potential with other new players this offseason. Mauro will probably be retained by the Cards. Johnson is probably 50/50 or better to be retained by the Jets.