1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Play Willie Gay

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Dec 18, 2014.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Since no else has I will.

Way to go William Gay. You're the only Steeler EVER to have 3 pick 6's in a season. Not Woodson. Not Blount. Not Lake, no-one.

He's our best CB before C. Allen went out and before/after Ike's return. If not for the Play of Willie Gay our record would be worse and with a tight playoff run that's important.

He has been beat with no safety help over the top and won't make the pro-bowl. His name won't get mentioned in conversations that include Peterson,Sherman/Revis but he's who we got and I for one am glad he's here. He's a solid character guy. He's humble, team comes first and is playing solid football.

Cajun-

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    First one since Glenn Edwards did it.

I've been signing Willies praise for years, much better than he gets credit for, this year he's really taken it up a notch.

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he is a solid #2, and our best DB. Great guy glad we have him.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gay has came a long way . From a CB who shouldn't have even been playing in the NFL to a CB who can play solid against average WR'S. I will give him a lot of credit for studying and learning his craft he clearly knows how to play the position now it's just to bad his physical tools will never be of elite CB status .

I think if the Team could get Gay in the right spot he could have a monster year . IMO he is best suited to be the # 3 CB and play inside the hashes , he does good with slot type WR'S and he does bring some wood now when he comes up to play force, the first few years I wanted to smack him because he was visually scared to come up and hit ...

5. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No offense, just asking, but are you 100% sure about this? LOL. I honestly don't remember ANYONE praising Gay. I believe you if you say so but I know he's taken a lot of abuse from this board over the years, myself included.

I'm glad he's here though. Especially with how thin we are at CB. He definitely has his negative moments, but this season he's made a big difference for our defensive backfield.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Gay has been playing good ever since Lake came on board.

7. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Big Play has been pretty solid for us the past three years. His three td's this year were huge and without them we probably don't win those three games. He was also robbed of a pick in the bengals game.

8. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

He was the best CB through last season as well...a lot of people were reluctant to give him credit....

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think I've been on that band wagon a little longer. I doubled up after he was the only guy I got to sign my hat at Training camp 2 years ago....:thumbs_up:

Great guy seemed very happy to be back at the time.

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    WOW
    a love fest for the Willie.

no

that's not Gay

:smiley1:

I concur I love the play of Willie Gay

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's been solid since the year before he left. I'd say this is the first year I'd actually label him as "good", though. He's definitely bailing us out! Also props to Blake and McCain, who are both playing better than I expected.

12. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So is Willie Gay the best player on the defense this year? I know how crazy that sounds but ... I guess maybe Timmons?

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He grabs another pick 6 in these next two games and the Steelers get into the playoffs, then you have to consider it. The numbers don't lie. You get a defensive score and you win the game over 75% of the time. He's got 3, 4 would guarantee it, the margin of victory being what it was, you see where I'm going.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I like the way Blake plays but he is just so small.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I said awhile back, willie has become our new deshea townsend. I think their careers have mirrored each others for us. as far as blake being too small, I'm not to sure about that. he's short but not really small. 198 lbs. fast too. he's getting better in coverage as he goes. I'm not unhappy with his or mccains play this year. I think we can build with these 3 and add a couple of players along with some safety help. I think we'll be in good shape down the road with them.:cool:

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with Mac on Willie Gay, Blake and Mccain. AJ Greene didn't get much when Ike went out and Blake picked him up. Mac, folks were in the outside pool a few days this week in Myrtle Beach. I ain't that crazy. I was in the pool at Hilton Head a few years back on December 22.

17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just don't show up at the next Super Bowl parade wearing a red leisure suit.
    Unless you're the Super Bowl MVP, then you can wear a bunny suit for I care.

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Before he went to the cards you can find a post here or on the old board (can't remember)where I said he was always making a play when we needed it. Said that right after he picked a qb in the end zone going for the win against us

Edit: and if we win the SB, Mr. Big Play Willie Gay can come to the parade wearing a TuTu. Bet we don't care.

19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Willie has made the most splash plays, but if the defensive MVP is not Timmons I would go with Cam Heyward

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I did that back in 82 sarge. Christmas day in the pool down in Homestead, Fla.. spent Thanksgiving that year in Key West. really strange being from Ohio. LOL:eek::cool:

21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't even know if it's his coverage that is getting significantly better, because even in the last few games I've seen him horribly out of position (not Ike level, but bad nonetheless). I believe it's more of him learning how to read routes. A few seasons back (before he left) he was more of a "follow the receiver around and hope for the best if the ball comes his way" type CB, and now he's reading routes and jumping on them. Hence, the 3 pick 6's. If you watch the replays of them, they are not the "at the right place" types of plays - he read the route and proactively jumped it to make the pick. That just wasn't happening before. Credit Gay, and Lake.

22. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :applaud:

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    For the record, I always liked Willie Gay as a 3rd corner. The only time I really didn't like him was when he was pressed into the starting role in 2009. I thought that role was too big for him at the time. Since then I think he's evolved into a decent #2 corner. He's no better physically, but he keeps getting more and more savvy.

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    his height is why people are saying he's too small 5'9, in order for him to cover guys who are 6'4 he would have to be perfect , he got eaten up in Falcon land