1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Redzone Offense Will be the Key

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Dec 17, 2014.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    KC has only given up 2 TD'S on the ground this year they are also ranked top in pass Defense in the red zone .After watching a lot of tape on them from NFL rewind our best bet will be to spread them out.

We need at least 3 WR sets and I prefer 4 with Bell as the RB . Nothing new on my part I still believe the 3 WR set is our most dangerous it's just this week it also looks like the correct plan of Attack .

KC plays a lot of press zone and is their bread and butter inside the Redzone , they try and keep WR'S from getting off the LOS so the rush can get home . This is the week to play some Bigger WR'S in the Red zone. Of course you go with Brown and Bryant but I think we need to look at Spaeth ,Miller,Palmer, W.J. or even DHB .And no this is not a bash Wheaton or Moore thing , we simply need some Bigger guys who can get off the LOS .

This would also give us better run blocking for Bell as well as better blocking on the WR screens . I am faxing the blue print to Haley as I type . lol

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After watching the last Steelers game again , it seems Haley brought out that big package some last game . He used a package of Miller , Spaeth , and Johnson , with Brown and Bryant. Good to know he is already using this set and that set could very well be the difference in the game against KC.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Red zone is always going to be key. I'm glad they started running more in the red zone and stopping the attempts to get cute. Against KC I would like to see them attack their strength. As you suggest spread them out, let Hali and Houston come and run delays and draws through the gaps. Dump offs over the middle to Bell, Miller and Spaeth chip and release with a quick hit. Everything should be quick before their guys can work to a sack. Be aggressive.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    to me they should be going to heath, spaeth and will j. more in the red zone. I really think these 3 are under used, especially since bell is having such a good year. even more reason to use them. they are like the forgotten men out there by defenses. most d's are keying on bell and a few others and I think these guys could slip out and be overlooked by defenses much more often than we use them. just my two cents worth. :cool:

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree maybe even more so on Spaeth and Will J since it is once in a blue moon they get thrown too. Heath is money, I would have him chip on Houston and slid out along the goalline towards the pylon and let him work.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yep. all 3 can catch and are big bodies too. once they start using them, it's just something else for defenses to worry about. :cool: