1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Evaluations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rush2seven, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Who would you say has performed better than expectations? The same? Or worse?

I'll start with three players at each ranking.

Better than expected:
    Bell - I expected him to do well, but tops in the AFC? I only wished for that.
    Bryant - I had little expectations, saw some good stuff at Latrobe, but with him starting the season with no hat, he's exceeded my expectations.
    Spence - in reality, he's a rookie. I think he's doing really well, given his history.

Playing as expected:
    AB and Ben - I had high expectations for both, they've met that, exceeded that, and unfortunately at times, failed to meet those high expectations
    Heyward - I expected him to be good, but he hasn't exceeded my expectations.

Worse than expected:
    DeCastro - he's been beat one on one, I, along with many others I'm sure, expected pro-bowl caliber. Just haven't consistently seen it.
    Worilds - possibly the biggest disappointment, at least tied with Cortez in my view.
    Troy - hard to say it, but to be honest he seems to have lost a step. He's out of position, and has contributed no splash plays.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd add Moats better than expected, thought that was a wasted signing but he's done well with the opportunities he has gotten.

I'd add JH, Beard, Suisham, Heath to as expected.

Archer worse than expected, I'd thought we'd at least see something in the return game. Also Mitchell, very disappointing. Wheaton worse than expected, not to say he is doing bad but I thought he was going to be a much bigger contributor.

3. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011

i wonder if Archer was taken in the 5th through 7th rounds, we may not have had much expectations. TBH, I've never seen anything from him, so other than where he was picked how did we all get duped into him being the next Darren Sproles?

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not duped, just hopeful would be more like it. Actually they're first seasons are comparable and I mean very comparable. I just don't see him making the leap like sproles did though. Hoping to be wrong.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It didn't snag Rush2Seven's comments that you commented on Blast but I wanted to touch the Worilds thing. I basically think the dropped into coverage thing is a crock. He has had plenty of opportunity to rush the QB as well and he was blown up by a rookie RB not once but twice. If the guy cut your legs out from under you once don't you think he dives for them again? Worilds turned an impressive showing in the last 8 games last year into a 9 mill payday and unless he pulls something similar out here in the last few weeks of this season he isn't going to capitalize on it at all. All this bunk about dropping him into coverage more is just a smoke screen for subpar performances by a guy who hasn't impressed like he did last year. He has gotten pressure sure but I haven't witnessed anything worth enough to say he deserves 5 million a year going forward with a big signing bonus which is just me spitballing what his numbers would be.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would not sign worilds at the end of the year

7. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, from what we are getting this year, I'd rather see if we can get Woodley for less than 2 million next year.

8. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Some guys who I'd like to hear what your rankings would be:

Wheaton
    M Gilbert
    M Mitchell
    W Gay
    B Wing

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This article was from October, at that point, he had logged 385 play counts, rushing the passer 128 times and dropping into coverage 96 times and 156 times against the run. An argument can be made that he should be making more of those 128 QB rushes but he's definitely being dropped into coverage a lot.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...forced-to-cover-not-rush/stories/201410160212

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The first person I thought of was Bell. The second person was Bryant. The biggest letdown for me has been Dri Archer. I thought he was a reach but then he looked ok in the preseason and I got sorta excited about him. That's not his fault. It is actually more mine. We sometimes have unreasonable expectations of guys.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't doubt that he is dropping into coverage more, I doubt that it is the reason why he is quiet as far as sacking goes. Woodley and Harrison both dropped into coverage and still had some high sack numbers. Part and parcel of becoming a starter is being asked to do more, take more responsibilities that is not a reason why your other skills should be dropping off. I think in limited action last season he was explosive because he was asked to get after the QB, singular goal and he showed singular focus, now with multiple responsibilities we are seeing that the singular focus is somewhat not as impressive as it may have seemed

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hard to disagree with most of this. Only player I would differ with you on is Spence. I didn't have really high expectations of the kid coming off injury, but I thought he's been borderline brutal this season. I'm glad he's playing football again, but he is easily the worst tackler on our football team. Its why we have been seeing more of Williams recently.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've also been underwhelmed by Sean Spence but that's maybe a little unfair. The fact that he is out there at all is a testament to his attitude and work ethic. His actual play leaves a lot to be desired but a lot of guys on this team could benefit from looking at the things I've just mentioned about him. We probably should hamper our expectations with him.

14. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011

Wheaton - is put him in the meets expectations. He started off doing great, then faultered, and has picked it up a little. For seeing his first real action this year, he does have route issues. But, his hands are good. I definitely want to see more of him in the return game.

M Gilbert - meets expectations, no brilliant play, but has been steady. It's easy to say the line in general has underwhelmed, especially in pass protection.

M Mitchell - having played for a few years, I expected him to not be out of position or miss tackles, but Troy does that. So I'll say meets expectations

W Gay - big play Willie Gay! Big play the other way. As our number 3, he is outstanding. But our secondary is so poor, he's had to start. So, meets expectations.

B Wing - 2pt conversion aside, he's had some garbage punts at the worst times (TB game). Makes it hard to remember any awesome punts. Does he have any? Worse than expectations.

Your thoughts?

15. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    true, we have a lot of poor tackling. Since this is his first year for action, I think he will get better.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think spence is playing that bad. he does some things very well and some things not quite as well. I chalk that up to experience, but also have to remember we don't have a lot of vet presence teaching the ILB spot to him right now on the team. I don't think Timmons brings that type of knowledge to the table for these young inside backers that farrior would have. Williams is young also.

worilds could be come expendable I believe. he's not playing terrible just not great for the money he is being paid. we have a couple of youngsters in the wings that could be looked at by next season in this spot. now if we could sign him for 4.5 to 5 mil a season range, I could get on board, but not at 9+ mil.. with JJ,moats,hojo and zumwalt vying for some more playing time next year, I think he could be expendable. that's a tough call at this point. one thing is for sure, we will be getting a lot younger at that spot and also inside for the next couple of years. I'd be hoping for another assistant coach like porter has been on the outside for our inside players. I think that could make a lot of difference.

archer will be fine. I didn't hold a lot of high hopes for him being the 3rd rb for him this year. I do think we will be seeing a lot more of his skillset for the rest of the season though. at least with LGB gone and harris getting up to speed.:cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, like I said, he's still had a 128 cracks at the QB, and how many more since that article, need to make the most of them.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    What about LSH? Are we done with him?

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Better than: Gilbert
    As: Pouncey
    Worse than: Allen

20. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Regarding Moats, I know he has been the starter, but when JJ returns, I expect to see him be Worilds back up on the left. I know some people suggested he was a terrible pick up. IMHO, he was a good depth pick up, has held his own, and so I would put him as better than expected too.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't think Moats was a bad pickup. He has actually managed to get in the backfield consistently this year. We just haven't been able to seal the deal like we have in the past. There's really nothing more depressing for me, as a Steelers fan, than watching a LB consistently miss the qb. That's just not something we are very accustomed to.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The entire defense has been below expectations. They couldn't stop the freaking Bucs at the end of the game, Vick had his only good game of the season, and they gave up 30 points to the Browns.

23. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    The defense was the strong point of the team in '08. We still have Troy, Keisel, Harrison, Ike, Gay, and Timmons from that team. That's 6 from the defense, and only 4 the rest (Ben, Heath, Spaeth, and Warren). Spaeth is a back up and Warren the LS. Whereas the guys from the D are still the bulk of what we will put out on the field today. Sadly, none of these guys has a back up better than they. While I understand Harrison and Keisel are back ups now, the guys they are backing up aren't good enough to keep them off the field. So, I agree with your statement and sentiment, but I'm not sure I'm ready to call for a new DC. Even though, as a group, the defense has under performed.