1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Down Time Debate Material

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by benwallace17, Nov 24, 2014.

1. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I ran into this debate in a comments section of a steelers article I was reading recently and thought it would make for some great debate material on here.

The question is " Who do you think the Steelers greatest draft pick is"? :hmmm:

I have my ideas but I think a lot of people could have some interesting opinions.

Sorry if this question has already been talked about.

My vote goes to the obvious Limas Sweed :applaud:

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I have to disagree here .. I think Pimply Dan has done more for us then Limas Sweed

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The best draft pick has to be Joe Greene. He turned the whole franchise around.

If your talking about the best steal of all time John Stallworth.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It is Joe Greene. There is absolutely no doubt about it. The better question would be who is the SECOND greatest draft pick ever. I believe the answer to that would be Terry Bradshaw. 4 Time Champ and Back to Back Super Bowl MVPs. That's pretty awesome.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Without any doubt. It has to be Sepulveda. Any time you move up in the fourth round to pick a stud punter who had a linebacker type hit go viral you can't miss.

All kidding aside. It has to be Mean Joe Greene.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think this question has been properly answered.

7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, Mean Joe. The Steelers had, for the most part, been terrible before him. He helped bring in a new era.

8. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben Roethlisberger.

We HAD success before him, but he brought it back!:cool::thumbs_up::yeehaw:

9. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I'd put Ben at 5.

Joe Greene
    Terry Bradshaw
    John Stallworth
    Jack Lambert
    Ben Roethlisberger

Honerable mention - Mike Webster.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So we are both in agreement that TB was the second greatest draft pick ever.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We got arguably the best WR in the NFL right now in the 6th round. Also picking Bell over Lacy and Ball was pretty smart. We took a risk moving up to snag Polamalu. We got Ben, even though he kinda fell to us.... We've had quite a few good ones recently

12. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes. You have to go by key pieces of the puzzle and without him the team doesn't have the offensive power they needed to be great. Lambert was another key piece. Without his intensity the defense wouldn't have been as dominant.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jack Lambert.A huge steal. If my memory
    is correct, started and produced from year one.And only got better.We did the intimidating.
    Oh how I miss those days/players.

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

15. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Yeah, my thought was that Joe Greene would easily take it.

The Ben or Bradshaw is an interesting one to me.

Bradshaw has the hardware, but in my humble opinion Ben is the better player.

Of course my HUMBLE opinion comes with the baggage that Ben is my favorite player of all time, so I can't look past the potential bias in my opinion :bowdown:

16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    A controversial opinion around here, for sure. But not without merit.

17. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Joe Greene. Who stated on his show(NFL Network) that when he was drafted by the Steelers he was depressed. He did not want to play for us and quit at one time before being talked back to the team, shortly before they went on their first superbowl victory.

Now he is everything Pittsburgh Steeler and still 40 years later one of the faces of this terrific franchise.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, believe me, I love Ben and it's actually saying something for me to pick Bradshaw over him because my son is actually NAMED after Ben! So I love Ben BIG TIME. It's just that Terry called his own plays, was clutch when it counted, and created a true dynasty. Also his resolve was pretty stout given that he was benched and had a lot of problems to overcome. Ben is the absolute man though and I wouldn't take ANY qb in the NFL right now to play behind THIS line except for Ben.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am of the opinion that there are far too many players worthy of this. I only picked Lambert because he would be in the mix. Joe Greene
    Dan Rooney, Chuck Noll changed the Steelers
    forever. I am old enough to remember the Steelers as the laughing stock of the league.When the Emperor came in everything changed, a new Sherrif had arrived. LOL the rest is history greatest franchise on the planet.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Perhaps the more interesting question for me is who was the best draft pick EXCLUDING current members of the HOF, and Roethlisberger (and Glen Edwards)?

So take the Greenes and Bradshaws as read, and consider more:

- The round the pick was made
    - The number we were picking at
    - Who else had been picked/was available
    - The impact the player made on the team

(I'm awaiting JimmyAllen's response... :smiley1:)

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Terry was wildly exaggerated to be dumber than he really was. He was a very intelligent "cat" that didn't need to be spotted the "C".

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Greg Loyd?

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I will echo the Joe Greene vote. To me, the top 5 are all going to be from the dominant team from the 70's, and I could mix and match a number of players behind Greene at #1. The more interesting discussion to me is who is their best draft pick that did not play during that era. I'd have to say Ben. Without him we don't win #5 and #6, period. AB has proven to be a great pick as a 6th rounder, but we have yet to really win anything with him as a team leader. He did have a couple of key catches in the 2010 SB run vs. the Jets and Ravens, but ultimately his script has yet to be written.

24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

A case can be made for any of the following:

John Stallworth (4th rd., 82nd selection) Available: Morris Bradshaw, more heralded WR out of Ohio State
    Mike Webster (5th rd. 125th selection) Available: Efren Herrera, K, UCLA...Gerela was bad and this pick would have made sense.
    Greg Lloyd (6th rd, 150th selection) Available: Bo Jackson and Dan Saleaumua
    Hines Ward (3rd rd, 92nd selection.) Available: Az Hakim

25. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mel blount was a pretty good 3rd round pick