1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Mauro

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by funkysteelersfan, Nov 23, 2014.

1. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I was watching bits and pieces of the cardinals game today. I noticed Mauro was getting some snaps. The announcers were actually commenting on how good a game he was having. I think long term we are going to regret losing him and keeping Cam Thomas.

2. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I agree. I think it's a move the team will come to regret.

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
  4. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I understand when young guys lose playing time to vets like Harrison and Kiesel but I've yet to see anything Thomas does better than Mauro.

5. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I totally agree with this. Why give up a good young player for someone you know Is a bad player like cam Thomas. We are to caught up in some of our veterans. And he is not even a Steeler veteran.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I agree as well, but Arians had the gonads to put him their active roster and we didn't. Don't they play different positions though? Maybe we should go after Ross Weaver or Jimmy Legree from their practice squad and see if they like it. Both are young corner backs. I still think that Arians feels slighted when Tomlin called him retired and got rid of him. I think our practice squad is the first place he looks when he needs a player. Just saying

Spartacus

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hojo is still out there....but yes losing another promising "young" DE really screws up the system. If you need guys to be in the system for a few years before you feel comfortable putting them out there, then this kind of thing really hurts. Most have been saying it for years now that they need to just let these guys play or simplify the system.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tomlin didn't have a choice Rooney jr wanted him gone, wanted to get back to Steeler football running the ball. It was on art not Tomlin.

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This is what I was gonna say. Charlie Batch actually said this is what happened. I'm sure there's no love lost between him and the Rooney's. At least they sorta fired him in a dignified way though by saying he was retiring. He was fired and we all know it.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should've kept Mauro, and gotten rid of that useless clipboard holder Landry Jones.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My sources are telling me that the Cards are close to a long term deal with Steely McBeam. I've not heard the specifics but apparently it's one of the more lucrative deals in NFL history. Keep it here folks for the rest of the story.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Brad Wing could be no.3 QB. So long as every play we run is a broken extra point attempt.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mauro is limited athletically, best case we lost a future Travis Kirshke or Chris Hoke kind of backup. And that is best case.

We have our startes for the next 10 years at both DE spots in Heyward and Tuitt.

It just stinks we need to redevelop depth, but I'm not worried one bit.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Now they lost Mauro and Nick Williams, on a already thin D-line. If Kiesel retires you should be worried, there won't be any depth.

15. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, good Draft but poor development or an eye for potential

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Cam't Thomas! Aaaaaargh!!!!!!! :frustrated:
    :facepalm:

18. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Oh NO! I guess I will need to change my avatar thingy soon??

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    TEMPE, Ariz. -- The first time the Arizona Cardinals tried to sign defensive end Josh Mauro, he resisted.

It was right after the NFL draft in May and the Cardinals wanted to bring Mauro in as an undrafted free agent, general manager Steve Keim said. Instead, Mauro signed with thePittsburgh Steelers, spent the preseason with them before he was released in August. Arizona then tried to sign Mauro again, Keim said, but Mauro opted to join the Steelers' practice squad.

And that’s where he stayed until Nov. 14, when Arizona finally got Mauro, signing him away from the Steelers. Nine days later, Mauro made his NFL debut.

“I’ll tell y’all what I told [the Cardinals],” Mauro said. “You get advice from people and it goes one of two ways.”

The Cardinals were glad they kept pursuing Mauro.

Even though Arizona lost 19-3 at Seattle, the Stanford University product had two tackles, one tackle for loss and a pass defensed, impressing coach Bruce Arians.

“Josh Mauro would have gotten a game ball if we would have won the game,” Arians said. “He played his tail off, stout at the point of attack. Really, really nice surprise.”

Mauro spent the hours leading up to his first NFL game trying to balance his emotions, so it helped that Mauro didn’t know he was starting until the first play of the game.

“I was playing in a certain package and we started with that package based on whatever personnel they had on the field,” Mauro said. “Based on what they came out with the start the game that’s when I knew I would be out there on the first play.”

Mauro said he graded out “pretty well” in his 22 snaps. But Keim took it further.

“He played excellent,” Keim said. “He’s a guy, actually, that stood out.”

The only thing that could have made Mauro’s debut better was a win, but he’s about to find out Sunday in Atlanta if every week was as easy as Sunday.

“It was an easy job for me this week,” he said. “I just had to do just my job. That’s all I had to do. You don’t have to do anything else. I had 10 other guys on the field play at the highest level in the NFL.”