1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heinz logistics questions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blitzgirl, Nov 23, 2014.

1. blitzgirl

blitzgirl Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks like I'm traveling from CO with my eight-year-old son next weekend to experience two great PA traditions: opening day, and a game at Heinz. (My 79-year-old dad is from the rural Kittanning area, and opening day has been a tradition for him and my brother for 30+ years. My son won't be hunting per se, but simply experiencing the grandfather/uncle bonding in the woods.)

I'm looking at taking him to the game on Sunday, and need some help on logistics. My thought is to park downtown and take the T. Am I better off parking further out, like near the Strip, so it's not as crowded getting on the train headed to Heinz, but then having to wait after the game to boad? Or is it better to park closer to Gateway, where I have the option of walking? Or is there another suggestion entirely?

Thanks for any advice. This will be his first game, much to the chagrin of his twin brother who isn't making the trip.

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Will you be going to the game from Kittanning?

3. blitzgirl

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, we will be driving in from that direction.

4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry, not familiar with that side of the city. If it was from the west side my suggestion would be park at station square and ride the T all the way over :-/

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    From Kittaning you will come in RT28. Follow signs to go over I579 (Bridge over Allegheny River). Bear right down 7th Avenue and park somewhere based on the map linked below. You will have an easier time out of downtown this way back onto I579. Route 28, with construction is going to be a bear.

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/2012_DowntownMap.pdf

T map is below, but you can just as easily walk if you are up to it. Note pedestrian walkways on the above link.

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/apps/maps/TLines.pdf

6. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    We always park in the underground garage beside what used to be the Hilton, and walk over the bridge.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Wyndham Grand

Good choice, an easy walk, a little more challenge to get out of town.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I usually park at the 9th and penn garage or over by the heinz history center and convention center, longer walks but cheaper parking. Plus you get to walk through all the fans go over the bridges, I like it, if I was older it probably suck walking so far.

9. blitzgirl

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks! I will check out all of these options.