1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How much of a difference will bringing Ike and Troy back make?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Nov 22, 2014.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Troy hadn't done much this season but I attribute that to having Clark gone and Mitchell in which he was not used to. I still think he lost a step but if Clark was back there with him I believe he would have made more noise this year.

Ike held his own for the most part and will definitely be an upgrade.

I expect both willl be back on the field soon. Possibly after the bye week.

How much of a differrence do all of you out there think it will make?

2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Clark from 2 years ago, I'd agree about Troy making "more noise".
    Clark from last year, probably not.
    Clark from this year, definitely not.

3. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Troy - very little outside of a few splash plays and maybe making the QB account for him pre snap
    Ike - Once again this could be a negative. Ike has lost a step and tends to grab quite a bit. Do we really expect him to be a number 1 corner? I expect QB's to target him especially, He's slow and not in football shape

For me the 2 that could make the most difference are:
    Mcclendon - We need his ability to push the pile and help to allow the DE and LB's to rush the passer
    JJ - His injury really hurt because prior to it he flashed some of the techniques he had worked on with Peezy. How much will he trust the wrist? What type of football shape will he be in?

For me the key for us to win the next 4 of 5 and have any shot in the playoffs will come down to the upfront defense

4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    DEPTH
    nothing more

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if taylor come back in shape he could be usefull in the double cincy game vs green

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You don't think they're going to start?:shrug:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is true. When they start, whoever moves back will now be depth.

8. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Who would ever have thought that a playoff spot would ever come down to our upfront defense? Since when did that ever seem like a logical concern for Steelers fans? Except maybe the last few years. For those of you who are relatively new to being Steelers fans, I can't wait for yinz to see a dominant Steelers front defense back on the field.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

yep
    and if and when they start the defense is not going to be a juggernaut all of a sudden

we just know that th epeople who can and will relieve them have a little more experience

which gives us
    depth

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree about some better depth. not practicing for awhile is not going to help the meshing of the defense, so I'm not expecting a huge jump as these guys mix back in. I'd still like to see what bw webb has to offer. I'd also like to see cortez at FS a little for next seasons review. I think he could be a much better player at that spot. time will tell for these guys.:cool:

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mac ,Mitchell is signed for 5 years. Truth I was in favor of the signing but his play has been a disappointment. Would you be considering moving him to SS?

Cortez has his bling pacifier in. Got paid. What a waste. Guess he will be better next year?

Ike covering Green? Maybe 5 years ago. Like said, Troy can make some splash plays, but if they are looking for coverage help he is a major liability. After this season it's time to get on with his life's work.

McClendon pushing the pile? Not on a consistent basis. Now with the bum shoulder I wouldn't rely on that. Get used to McCullers. I still say McClendon is better suited for the DE spot.

This Defense is in a shambles. If the Offense struggles, loss. This Defense cannot be relied on. Scheme, player, whatever, it's time after this season for a fresh approach.

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There used to be a time when just having Troy on the field was a bonus because the other team HAD to account for him. Now, they know he has lost a step so just having him out there means very little. He has made a few splash plays this year - where I could see a glimpse of the old Troy - but not very many and not enough to matter.

Ike- well, I have not made it a secret how I feel about Ike. I don't see him making much of a difference.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Ike has gotten the green light to return. He says he'll start on Sunday.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats pretty amazing, I thought he was easily done for the year when I saw that injury.

Wow, if nothing else, that guy is in awesome shape.

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Sadly, this is the truth of it all and has been for the entire season.

16. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    The sad thing about Troy is that he's trying, more so than anyone else (except when Harrison stepped up and turned on BeastMode) - and I think he realizes he's lost a step or two, and starts playing frustrated. How many PF calls has he created this year? In past years comparatively?

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Troy hasn't done jack in the secondary. Most of his plays this year have been up at the line.

18. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Jack **** if anything they make it worse and Drew Brees is going to try to test both of them early and both will pay

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ike is still the best CB on our Team so yes his return makes our D better ...Troy still gets a lot of respect from QB'S about where he is at on the field he also is a true force in the run game thus a better Defense when he gets back...

Now am I saying these guys are the cure all be all for this Team by no means am I saying that ,but they are better than the players that have been playing their spots....

We need to go CB,CB,CB and then SS in the draft probably followed by a FS depending on whether or not Allen or Gay can play that spot....This is why I like that Inverted look because we need to get Mitchell and Troy up in the action more and it would allow us some tape on Allen and Gay ....

20. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree with you, PWP. But in reality, when do we ever go 100% with our 'needs' in the draft? The reality is, we'll probably wind up going for LB-WR-RB-ProjectQB (the last one maddens me to no end).

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I think the days of BPA being the best strategy are long gone ...In todays NFL you have to be able to cover multiple WR sets , you also have to be able to cover vertical TE'S and elusive RB'S out of the backfield.... Now throw in the enforcement of the pass interference rules and boy a Team that is close to being a contender that doesn't draft defensive help on the back end is just drafting dumb...

No other way to look at it ....Just plain dumb....

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Gay is the best CB on the team, and that's not saying much all of them are below average.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yep truly sad if we have to argue which one of those 2 are the best that's for sure....Neither 1 of them are good enough to be a #1 CB , damn now I feel like crying...

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:And they paid Cortez to be the #1 CB, and then he went into the tank as a player.

25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013