1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you rank AB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Nov 18, 2014.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've told a couple of people here lately that I think AB is the best WR in the league. I know that's saying a lot but just look at all the things he can do. He has phenomenal hands. He has phenomenal feet. He has a phenomenal work ethic. He has a phenomenal ability to create space for himself. I was watching a film breakdown of him the other day and they were talking about how great he is at using his hips to create space. He has a phenomenal ability to make guys miss. Yeah, he is small but how does height alone keep a guy from being the best? I actually think the fact that he's not a "big target" makes him all the more impressive. One guy just told me when I said AB, in sort of a condescending way, "I don't know about that..." and then another guy said that A.J. Green was the best. I say AB is ABSOLUTELY better than Green. If you were gonna put ANYone ahead of him it could really only be Calvin Johnson but the streak AB has going is awesome and actually the other day Megatron got shut down by AZ. So, what say you. Am I crazy when I say AB is the best?

2. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Well no he's dominated the league for the last two years, he's explosive and hard to cover even when doubled. Every team we play knows he's our number one and he still gets his catches. So while AJ and Calvin are probably equally great I will keep AB; He's a Steeler!!

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm pretty amazed that you like his feet, that's phenomenal.

4. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    And I ask again.....WHY do we have one of the best WRs in the game returning punts??????....Just dumb!!! IMO.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Dude you are such an idiot! HA! How about this "He has a phenomenal ability to stay in bounds"? Sheesh! LOL!

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So you only rank him as "one of the best"?

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Ah yeah......Ill put him in top 3 but no better than that.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: come on, that was a lay up!

AB is in the conversation for sure, I'd definitely put him ahead of Green.

9. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    You know he is already 5th all time on the Steelers all time receptions list, and will be 4th with only 10 more receptions?

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    special teams is a huge part of the game. he is a homerun threat and even though he has muffed a few, who else would you feel comfortable with back there? it is just as easy to get hurt playing on offense. its part of the game and can win or lose you a game.....remember ricardo?

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    With some of the questionable signings in recent years, extending his contract for what we got him for was one of the most brilliant moves the front office has made in quite awhile!

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually told a guy today that he is gonna get all of Hines' records. He is gonna get them much quicker too. That's saying something.

13. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I consider Green to be slightly over-hyped. I feel like big games and when when he's matched against decent CB talent, he shrinks. Playoff game last year, he got his numbers after the game was out of reach. I think he comes up small in big moments. Athletically gifted, but overall, overhyped.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean how many of these guys have the streak going that AB does? I see no end in sight for this streak either. People may say that AB gets a lot of gimmes by catching all those quick screens and stuff but you still have to catch it. Archer got one last night and pretty much could barely handle it. AB just always seems ready to play and it doesn't really matter who he is matched up against.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Ill put anyone who could catch a punt back there before AB. AB is a top 3 WR. Huge O weapon. Just dumb to put your best O weapon on punt returns. Injury risk is just to great!!

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Would you put him ahead of Demarius Thomas? Thomas is pretty awesome and big but actually got shut down in the Super Bowl by the physicality of the Seahawks. It doesn't seem like anybody can shut AB down. I'm actually now second guessing this thread because I'm afraid I'm gonna jinx him. LOL.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think one of the things that works in AB favor and works against guys like Johnson and Thomas is that even though he is the number one WR that doesn't dictate where he lines up, what routes he runs, or the type of balls thrown his way. They don't just line him up outside and have him run go routes and post routes, he is all over the field. So if you are talking all around receiver I think he is the top at this time, if you are looking at pure pass catchers then maybe he falls into the top 5 but then you are ignoring everything else he brings.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Uncoverable!!! and with his heart, the sky
    is the limit. If he continues at this pace,
    he should be mentioned with Brady and Rodgers
    as an MVP candidate. Smooth as SILK.

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Shut down in the SB? He had 13 catches (which I believe is a SB record), 118 yards and a TD. If that's getting shut down I'd like to see his numbers when he doesn't get shut down lol.

As for where AB ranks, actually putting a number on a guy is virtually impossible. A guy who is ranked #1 today might be #3 a month from now. Things change so much in the NFL. I usually put players into tiers. The top tier of WR's in the league are:

AB
    Dez
    Julio
    AJ Green
    Calvin
    Demaryius Thomas

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Runs the best routes, best hands, best feet. He is one of few that can take a 5-6 yard pass to the house. Can catch a long bomb if need be. Can throw the ball, return kicks, isn't afraid to block, seriously watch him block sometime, he is good at it, Hines taught him well. Doesn't complain, won't throw teammates under the bus. Tries to get better, even Jerry Rice has gone on to say that he thinks he is the best in the NFL right now.

He won't out jump or out muscle guys away from the ball like a Calvin Johnson or an AJ Green but he makes up for it in other areas.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is the best WR in the game no doubt about it..He runs great routes he has mad catching skills and he is a beast after the catch...Plus he is better than average as a blocker for the run game ....So the answer is the most complete WR in game plain and simple ....

22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Shhh, don't tell Rex Ryan.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think thats a pretty fair assessment.

Yes, I think I would probably rank him the best, only Johnson may be better but I think he's reached the point where his play will start declining, AB just keeps getting better.

24. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    He's definitely in the top handful. If you factor in everything like age, health, and relative knuckleheadedness ... he's probably #1 at this point.

25. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Green's QB is ... questionable.