1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Pass Rush Impoving?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I think so. There was some good pressure in the Houston game and Luck did not have a picnic. But what surprised me was both the Blake interception and the Keisel one in the Houston game came with only 4 DL rushing. Not that much pressure was on Luck with 5 or even 6 man fronts for whatever reason. These pics are from the Blake video on nfl.com.

View attachment 820 View attachment 821 View attachment 822

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000418204/Luck-intercepted-by-Blake

He made a really nice play on the ball. What also was interesting was Pit lined up with 4DL. 4DL vs 5 OL[a 6th was available] and they overpowered them and pushed them back into the QB's face. This probably caused the mistake. The 4 were 93 91[could not see for sure] 96 and 92.

What a coincidence. In the Houston game this very uncommon lineup was also in on the Keisel interception. 93 97 99 and 92.

2. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I suppose what I forgot to say was if they get after Flacco in a big way it could turn out to be a very good day.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've been thinking lately that we've been getting close to the quarterback. Unfortunately, this is not horseshoes. Although, Goodell is trying. LOL. I will say though that if McCullers continues to improve that if a linebacker would just line up right behind him he would be in the backfield in no time. The absolute power that he showed in the texans game was pretty much scary!

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is an inverse to this.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I rank a defense on points allowed, after all, that's all that matters, so based on their last game giving up 34 points what that means to me is the front seven didn't get enough pressure and the secondary was over matched .........

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes .. We saw the pass rush in a big way 2 games.. Carolina and Dolts. Not certain why they get away from that forumula but they do.. For all the talk about sacks I think its the hurry up defense that matters. We have seen the outcome of pressure and what it can do. Clearly we need to blitz more often

7. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    The Colts are the number one offense in the NFL. They average 31.2 PPG so, that's not the defense's worst effort ever. They were helped somewhat but the offense holding the ball but in the past that worked to our defense's advantage a lot. The offense helped put the Colts away with long drives in the second half and I think we've missed that a lot in the last four or five years.

They still have a lot of holes but the pressure is improving, they're getting turnovers, and we just got Shazier back. I'm not thrilled with the performance yet but I like where it's heading. I'd say right now they're average - they're at 12th in scoring defense. The offense has moved up to 9th in scoring and that's a real, strong step in the right direction.

8. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, it is improving due to a few reasons.

1. Keisel is playing at a very high level right now, and is definitely our top defensive lineman (which is a sad knock on the other ones).

2. Harrison is getting back into game speed and Worilds is playing better than he did at the beginning of the season.

3. McCullers is active and even though he isn't playing a whole lot, when he is in the game, he is overpowering the offensive line.

The pass rush is not dominate by any means, but they are showing some signs of life, which is a huge improvement of not being able to do literally anything through the first weeks of the season.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm less worried about our pass rush and more worried about the Ravens pass rush this coming Sunday. Their pass rush is ferocious and Ben is going to have a long day I think. We're going to have to cover their WR's well because Flacco loves going down the field. If we can shut down their WR's, we can beat them, with or without a pass rush. It won't be a high scoring game though

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah they've been getting to the qb big time. If people are expecting another 500yd day from Ben they are dreaming this week. I would love to absolutely decimate them but I don't expect that to happen.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Our pressure also led to a pick six and a safety. Giving up net 25 points to the best scoring offense in the NFL isn't a horrible outing. The quality of opponent definitely matters... I'd expect us to give up less than 34 points against the rats.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but the safety was fluke. Luck tripped on his own man, then threw it from inside the end zone rather than just rolling out of the end zone. It really had nothing to do with the rush. You have a point though. The rats won't put up that many points

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Considering Bens the only one to do that in the history of the NFL, I don't think anyone is expecting that. I'd gladly take 350 yards and 3 TD's, which he is fully capable of doing.

Roll out of the endzone??? He was on the goal line! :lolol:

He wouldn't have rolled 2 feet, they were all over him, that safety had a ton to do with the pass rush.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They could really make some hay, if they can carry the day!

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may, what ya say?