1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodell talks to team about no show problems?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Oct 30, 2014.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So is Goodell is saying the( Steeler) no shows are making the NFL look bad.? Goodell has been prty quiet the pst few weeks. but since he has to be in court for the woman beater nxt week. I think the refs will favor the Ravens sunday night when it comes to penalties

3. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Geez... Who knows, I'm sick of this bias crap but it does pass the eyeball test week in and out season in and out and not just for this team so what can you do?

he obviously has had an axe to grind with this team, but always leans on the Rooneys or designates the Rooneys... You'd think we'd be squared away with him. I don't know, maybe Dan and Co. Have really gotten to be the pushover type. I hope not.

4. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Here's an idea NFL...don't turn the product into crap...and steal the cornerstone (defense) from the game. I used to go to a few games a year. Did the playoff run in 08 and went to the Superbowl that year. At the time I lived in FLA. and flew up for games. I since moved back to Pennsylvania...i've been to one game in 4 years—and can get tickets at face for any game I'd like to attend. The reason, honestly, I really don't have a desire to go , pay the expensive costs associated with tix, parking, concessions, etc...and ultimately watch the refs dictate the game.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yup.
    I would rather see a 9-7 beat down on both sides of the ball rather than a 48-39 shootout DICTATED by ridiculous hands to the face/illegal fingernail touching any day of the week. How they call that petty garbage and NOT call some of the idiotic TD celebrations is beyond me.
    But what do I know, I'm old school.

6. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
  7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Empty seats @ a Steelers' game were unheard of for most of my life. Then, the advent of the corporate season ticket holder. Commercial accounts scoop them up for resale or reward. Get season tickets back into the hands of families and you see the problem go away.

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Werd is right.. I was at the Tampa game and while I did not spend alot of time looking around to see who was or was not there I did have a feeling there was alot of people there..

The decline was after the Browns game at least from what I can tell. Not sure.. One observation over the course of many games in the Burgh... Fans in Pittsburgh are very fickle. During the Colts game there were boo birds...

Its been a tough 3 years and yes we are tired but not tired like what has been seen as of late. .

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I can tell you what's really ridiculous. I can't even get anybody to go to the dang MNF game in Nashville with me in a couple of weeks. Even if you tell people you will pay for their ticket they STILL won't hardly go! I would really hate to go to a game by myself but it might have to come to that. It's looking like my seats will only be 7 rows off the field but people still don't care enough to go. I can understand though because I've been up and down about going this year too but I just can't resist. However, if someone pretty much offered me a free seat I would be on that like a duck on a junebug.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah stadium looked empty vs. Colts, WTF?

Im curious how many Steelers fans come in from out of town for a Steeler home game... Overall it's a lot of money if you tack on paying for a hotel as well.

Its always packed in the 500 section where fans scrap for tix on ticketmaster.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Against the Texans there were 9,000 no shows. I've been meaning to look up how many there were for the colts but there were quite a bit. You would think that people would want to at least come and see Luck play but I guess they figured he was gonna eat us up and just couldn't stomach it.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I came up in 09 for the Vikes game and we had to stay WAY outside of Pittsburgh at this crackhouse Days Inn. You talk about REALLY being devoted to a team! The fact that I stayed at that dive speaks volumes to how unhealthily obsessed I am with this team. LOL.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    8-8 seasons will do that to a fan base.. In particular this fan base.

Losing to the Browns for alot of fans equaled the end.. the apocalypse

Speaking as someone from out of country.. The best games and the most expensive are the divisional games.

I would expect the Ravens game will fill the place

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Take the eye ball test and see if
    you have liked what you saw on the field
    the first half of the season. Now add in cold weather, expensive tickets/parking/concessions/yuppies
    corporate types and you have no shows.It
    will be different this week with the retiring of Joe Greene's jersey. I have talked to a lot of people
    that are going to the game Sunday. Should be playoff atmosphere.

15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think it has more to do with the advent of the very large flat panel HDTV plus a couple of mediocre seasons.

This isn't a new phenomenon. My mother in law had tickets at TRS and tells me of how everyone used to beat down her door in the 70s looking for extra tickets but in the mid-late 80s those same people were nowhere to be found and she used to regularly give them away or toss them in the garbage. At one point when her husband was alive, they had 6 tickets and went to every game with family and friends. It got so bad that they gave up the block of 4 and continued on with the pair that I still use today.

Outside of the stadium on game day there are plenty of cheap tickets to be had from scaplers, many at face value or less. The opportunity for Joe Average fan to go to a game is still there they'd just rather sit at home and watch it in high def.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Few things here,
    1 This whole idea that because we've had a couple of 8–8 seasons is justification to not show up and support the team is a joke. The Steelers more than any other NFL team have given their fans a reason to always support them during the modern era of football. The fact is some people are just not very good fans of the team. Don't be there only to kiss the Lombardy, but also be there to wear the losses and support the team. The Steelers have never given us any reason to doubt that they're working towards putting a competitive team on the field.

2 I live in St. Louis so I know it's easy for me to say people should show up to the games when I don't have to be held to that same accountability. I can tell you this though , if I was a season ticket holder I'd be going to those games. I know life problems come up and you're not going to make every single game every year , but to use the fact that we've had a couple 8–8 seasons in a row as an excuse to not go to the games is absurd in my opinion. And I get the whole it's my money I can choose how to spend it thing, but being a Steelers fan is not a part-time job!

3 You want to fix some of these attendance problems? Put a minimum attendance on season-ticket holders, meaning that that ticket has to cross that turnstile a minimum number of games per year are you lose your rights to your season tickets. That might be a little incentive to get those tickets in the hands of people that'll actually go to the games.

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Some very good points Glenn and for the most part I support your ideas. I work hard for a living and never take the opportunity to see the Steelers for granite. I wish I had the luxury to have season tickets. Crazy as it sounds I would move to the Burgh if it made economical sense and well I could convince my wife its warmer there then where I am right now lol

I don't think the idea of having season ticket holders and having them held accountable to attend a certain amount of games is the answer but I feel your frustration. I feel the same frustration after half time and you look and see people have not made it back to their seats...

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Get rid of yellow seats, install black; problem solved! The stadium won't appear to look as empty when people choose to no-show, which is what Goodell is all about - appearance.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think a big problem is that a lot of the season ticket holder's only bought the season tickets just as an investment?
    I know the last two times that I attended a Steelers game I had people sitting next to me that told me that the people that own those tickets never came to the game they always sold him.

Putting a minimum attendance on season-ticket holders doesn't necessarily mean that they personally have to go to the games, it just means that they would be forced to be sure the tickets got into the hands of people that would actually go to the game.
    It would also clean up some of the problems associated with the so-called ticket brokers.

It cost a small fortune to go to the game. Now I know you can buy tickets at or below face value if you wait to the last minute to get them. For people that are coming from a long distance you need to have some plans in place have your tickets bought well in advance. Can't leave things to chance especially if you're coming with the sizable group of people.
    Paying $200-$300 for a ticket that has a face value of $100 is just plain wrong.
    If you ever go down to the strip District on the Saturday before the game you'll notice that two thirds of the cars down there have out-of-state license plates on them. The resale prices of some of these tickets is the biggest problem of all. That's another thing that should be properly regulated.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How about blowup dolls for the empty seats? LOL…

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Fake crowd noise...fake bodies in the seats...I suppose it could happen.

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Well you can count me on supporting your idea but I just don't see how it makes sense for the owners or nfl regulators or any type of incentive for them to do so.. Ticket sales and attendance obviously are very different.Losing your season tickets because your not attending is leaning in the right direction but then again as we all know MONEY TALKS.. If you buy the rights you also buy the options not to attend.. What needs to happen is for fans to appreciate the game and the organization and give away tickets or as GB_Steel pointed out fill the stadium with blow up dolls are paint the seats black..

Steelers-Bucs-fourth-quarter-goodell.jpg

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That's funny. Goodell from his underground bunker, hiding. He should worry about his image the piece of garbage.

24. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    If you still can't find anyone to go with you, I would be happy to.

25. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!: Besides ! What's he gonna do ? Fine the Steelers for not filling the seats?:rolleyes: