1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

London

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Oct 29, 2014.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I saw on the news the other day, that the NFL will play five games in London nxt year.. W hat is the chances the Steelers play one of these games... Goodell manages to screw this game up a lil more each year imo,

2. Ohio Steeler

Ohio Steeler Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I do know that any team that bids on a Superbowl has to play a home game in London to be considered.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It will be interesting to see how the extra games play out. Currently, the NFL at Wembley outsells the national football team's home games. So the folks at Wembley are keen for more games. The lease on the stadium is up soon, I think, and that's when the old London franchise talk might emerge again.

Which, for the record, I think would be a really, really terrible idea.

The question is whether that interest stays the more games they play there. I originally thought it would lessen, but if anything the games seem to be more popular now.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Considering we just played a game there last year, I'm not so sure we'd have to go back that quickly.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    What extra games? , i havnt heard of this

6. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Think he just meant 4 more games in London, not more scheduled games.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aye - sorry for the confusion.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    if we go i just dont want the 930 timeslot
    thats horrible on a sunday morning
    i think its a shame detroit and atlanta had to do that last weekend

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

With these games in London at 9:30 am EST (2:30 PM Local), Roger Goddell knows that he will have NFL football on from 9am -12am on Sundays. 15 Hrs or more of the NFL live in some form or another. And yes, people will tune in. Heck, even very religious NFL fans would skip church if their favorite team happens to be playing.

You can bet your bottom dollar Gooddell is trying his best to make a London NFL team happen.

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that it would be a terrible idea. I don't even want a canadian frachise. I consider football "America's game" and I want it to stay that way. I didn't like it when the NBA expanded either though. I really don't feel like a European team could coexist in this league just because of the crazy travel demands and things like that. Seems like scheduling would be a nightmare.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only way it gets an traction overseas though is if it is the real deal and not some watered down poor man's NFL. NFL Europe had some success but wasn't embraced as much as the London game is. So as much as a logistical nightmare as it is expanding the league overseas won't work if it isn't true NFL football.

12. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Really? I thought everyone was napping during the game this past week.

13. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    A bigger shame for Falcons fans. They had to get up for a 9:30am kickoff ... and then watch the Falcons blow a 21 point lead. :lolol:

14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe it was sometime last week I was listening to the NFL channel on satelite radio. They said Goodel's goal is to have a team there by 2022, but the hosts of the show couldn't think of a way to do it. Then they came up with an idea which I thought made a whole lot of sense. Extend the season to 17 games, and add a second bye week. Give each team a neutral site game every year, so that no one would be losing a home game. Their suggestions were 8 games in London, and 8 in Los Angeles. I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea. That way the NFL would get more of these London games, people in LA would get some football, and they wouldn't have to add any teams and screw up the perfectly balanced division and conference alignments.

15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Right? I missed the entire game. I do my running around on Sunday mornings BEFORE kickoff at 1:00 p.m.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like that idea and even if that sells, it's still a logistics nightmare. Plus what about players that don't want to live overseas? And have families here that they don't want to uproot. I also bet that a London team will have a terrible away record (but a very good home record). If I'm a player, you'd have to pay me a kings ransom to get me to play for that team, hopping on that flight after every game, especially after a loss. That would get old real fast.

It's a terrible idea, the greedy suits should just let this one go.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If I got paid the average NFL salary I would play anywhere in the world including North Korea so long as they assured my safe passage.

18. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I don't mind the idea at all about expanding the NFL overseas. I think it would benefit the game if players from different nationalities joined in. Like in the NBA, the Spurs have a nearly all international team, and are awesome. Basketball obviously has been around longer and more countries have been playing it for longer, but American football is gaining traction internationally. A London team, while logistically nightmarish, would still be fun to watch. As for players uprooting and moving there, they do that anyways. Whats the difference between going from Oakland to New England outside of leaving the country?

As for Canada, I consider them a part of "America", as really, they are.

I am not sure if it is the right move to relocate teams. Perhaps they add two teams at the same time (I know, it would be a nightmare to fill the rosters), one in London and one in LA. They could keep the divisional rivalries when scheduling games, but do away with the division perks of the winner getting a guaranteed playoff spot, and seed the teams like how the NBA does it. That would eliminate 10-6 teams from a high powered division missing the playoffs when a 7-9 team wins a bad division and makes it.

I do think though, that some type of enhancement to the league is needed to keep the game fresh and exciting. I am not sure what, but tinkering with teams might be a good thing.

19. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Leave Europe have soccer. They for the most part find Americans loud, obnoxious, over bearing pricks. How is that going to change with an NFL team being played out of there? Oh, can you imagine the fights... Someone from there says some crap about a Steelers player (knowing his but a plan ride from never going to court) and we aren't going want to be loud and obnoxious ??

They don't need us and we don't need them in the NFL.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its already a multi billion dollar industry, how much more benefitting does it need?

Big difference between hoping a trans atlantic flight to go visit family/friends and dealing with customs than visiting within the states.

And like I said, what freaking player is going to look forward to a 10 hour flight after a game.

So sick of them screwing with this sport.

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :this!:

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, but if a guy is a free agent, and has other offers, I bet the majority stay in the USA. A London team woun't be able to keep or attract talent.

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Just another outsourcing of jobs and I don't like that at all. Bad enough that the only thing generating revenue in Detroit are their sports teams, and well I see a lot of commerce lost sending them over there if even for the weekend. I don't see an international league working at all, unless it's like a World Cup thing but then that'd screw up our norm.

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Very good point.
    Could it eventually be one game there a week?

25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And for the record, I would LOVE a 9:30 game, but think a London team is a horrendous idea. Logistical fuster cluck.