1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Biggest change in the offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 29, 2014.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We all marveled and loved what we saw, I for one was wondering if the game was even worth watching and after the Colts went downfield and scored I was really thinking of turning it off. Well I'm glad I didn't but what was the reason for the way the offense looked? After watching it again the biggest difference is the lack of pressure generated by the Colts, not sacked after 49 drop backs. This is what a few of us have been saying for years now, the offense struggles and Ben begins to misfire in games when the defense is in his face constantly and when the pocket is clean, our QB is as good as any other with the difference is he can still be effective even without much protection but with it he looks like a superstar. It also helps when most of the balls were caught and no real drive killing penalties, everything was working and it was all because of the O-line and protection. Ben got rid of the ball quickly but the WRs ran clean routes and got separation early but when they didn't, Ben had the time to allow someone to get open, it was a thing of beauty. The line hasn't looked this good since Cowher, it seems Munch is really coaching these guys up.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've been saying all year that stupid penalties need to be fixed. Likewise, some miscues and execution errors were also addressed. Whether this is all down to the o-line I don't know, but it certainly played a part.

I agree that the lack of pressure on Ben was noticable. Baltimore will be a different kind of test, because much of the success we had against Indy involved the discipline of our players, and against the Ravens emotions are always going to be running high... but if we get through that game with similar execution, then I'll be feeling very happy about the rest of the season.

3. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not trying to be a pessimist, and you are certainly right about the lack of pressure and the stellar offensive line play last week, but time will tell if there has been a "fix" to the offensive problems or if last week was an exception where everything happened to go right. It happens once or twice a season, where the offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator draw up the perfect scheme for the opponent, execution is almost flawless, and the team looks like a juggernaut. Crush the Ravens, and I will be a believer.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think Bryant has a lot to do with it. Defenses have to pay attention to him due to his size speed combo. They also have to pay a lot of attention to bell and brown. That opens a lot of things up. I think Bryant will be our number 2 wr soon and if not soon absolutely after the bye week.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Seemed to me like Ben always had an open dump-off receiver to use in blitz situations. Perhaps rather than depending on both Ben and receivers to read the defense and react accordingly (i.e. on the same page) Haley drew it up to always have a dump-off so Ben didn't have to trust someone to read the D. I'm sure they also saw something on film that showed the Indy D tendencies (hard to believe with Indy's prior game results) and took full advantage.

BTW - the shutout and dismantling of Cincy the prior week was at Indy so I think the schedule Gods were extra kind to us. This will also happen with the Saints where we get them at home and Cincy and Balt each have to travel to that cesspool of a stadium in the swamp where the Saints are undefeated at home this year.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This. We're gonna roll AB, Bryant, and Wheaton at WR, and Bell is a legit receiving threat as well. Bryant has improved our red zone offense just by being a jump ball threat, and we can run the ball too with Bell (mainly) and Blount. We have tons of weapons and ways to beat our opponent. If we stay out of our own way and execute at a reasonably high level, were gonna consistently put up points.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats what a big target can do for you, why so many of us have wanted one. I believe they have the perfect compliment of weapons now, small shifty guys, a big target and a RB that is equally dangerous running the football as he is at catching it. Plus the WR's have speed to burn. Throw in Heath who always seems to be open, lot of weapons for a defense to worry about.

8. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    I think the biggest difference was the use of play action. I can't find the exact thread but someone mentioned we were in the bottom 5 or so in the use of play action and it seemed like we using it several times on every drive against the Colts. With Bell serving as a legitimate threat this year, I really hope this trend continues.

9. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm of the belief that the planets just aligned this past week. I don't expect that kind of protection or that kind of success moving forward. I think this game vs the Ravens will look a lot different.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    While I still think that playing the way we did we would have beaten them, the beating by such a huge margin came down to the right things happening at the right time. WHich is not a knock on the team's performance or potential, and I'm probably more optimistic about how we can grow from here.

The key to Indy was that from early on their defense just seemed to not know what to expect. As Woodley's Woodies said above, the use of the playaction, the success of every area of the offense, just meant they seemed to be constantly off-guard. We know that the Ravens will employ different tactics to the Colts - for one, I expect a lot of jamming at the LOS from their DBs, and a fierce pass rush - but if we can keep mixing it up successfully, then we can beat them.

11. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I expect the Ravens to try and jam the WR's at the line also which should open up the deep ball opportunities if they can get past the initial jam. I think our offense could explode on the Ravens much the same way they did against Indy but in a different way. I get the feeling you are going to see a lot of long pass plays that work due to the Ravens trying to keep our guys from getting off the line.

As for the defense we need to get to Flacco and bury him in the Heinz turf every chance we get!

12. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Ratbird defense is also going to be attacking the ball while it's in play. We need our receivers and runners to cover that and keep it tight.