1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

this team needs a statement game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Oct 25, 2014.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this game tmr is like the pats game a few years back. when they came in here and we jumped on them early and didn't let up. we hadn't been able to handle them and that game we played lights out. I think that is further back than I realize but it showed that team they were good enough to play with anyone.

I think this team needs that same kinda win. I think ben will play well cause he is sick of hearing about how great luck is and I think the defense will do the same.(or at least I am hoping)

this game will tell me a lot. I think years past a team like the colts playing the way the are would come into Pittsburgh and be humbled. if we lay an egg and get torched I will join the bandwagon for all the ones wanting a change. this team needs this win. I know with a lose the season isn't over but I think this team will mail it in to a certain extent.

outside of the playoffs I think this is biggest game of tomlins career. he needs this win and so do some of the players. if they want to keep their jobs.

2. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree this is a huge game (I think the 2 SB's were the biggest games of Tomlin's career, but I know what you mean.) If they win, they are 5-3 and a legitimate contender for the playoffs after beating one of the top AFC teams. If they lose, they are 4-4 and will have to play lights out and have luck on their side to make the playoffs. If they don't get up for this game, then it is going to be a long second half of the season.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    One thing's for sure, if they aren't hyped up about the game tomorrow and the tremendous opportunity it represents to turn their season around, they need to check their pulses.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep a huge game and we can't give up on Bell ....We will need to make sure he gets at least 30 touches and we will need to use Bryant and DHB to open things up ....Steelers Depot has as a write up about that very thing ..

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing that has me feeling more optimistic about this game is the fact that Wayne isn't playing. I still think Luck's legs are gonna be a nightmare though. I would love to win tomorrow and I think the best way to do it would be to just use Bell and Blount like crazy. If Luck is off the field that is the best place for him and for us. We are absolutely gonna have to move the chains and tomorrow would be a great time for Tomlin to decide that he is gonna effectively manage the clock.

6. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you normally. I think this game screams to go up tempo and go for some big plays. might mean a few 3 and outs but I think we need points and quickly to give this team some confidence

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I absolutely agree that we need some quick points. We also really need to play a consistent game on defense. It has seemed to be the pattern this year that we will play alright for a bit but then give up a big play and suddenly just implode. We need to learn to show some resolve. If we sorta meltdown against Luck he is gonna have a field day. Another reason for me saying I'd like to see Bell and Blount get a lot of touches is because I watched them play cincy last week and that d was absolutely swarming. I was just sitting there thinking that they were gonna eat our line up if we tried a lot of long passes. Cincy's offense is much more explosive than ours and they completely neutralized them. HOPEFULLY that was their best performance of the year and they won't be as "up" for this game as they were for that one. That's something else that makes me feel a little more optimistic about this game.

8. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Luck will have a field day with the Steeler's secondary. Besides, sorry but I'm convinced that Tomlin can't get this team up for two back to back games in a row. :facepalm:

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Then we should be ok.

We weren't "up" last week. ;)

10. yeldarb

yeldarb Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wish i could share some optimism but,this team has done nothing this year to show me they can hang with the little dogs,let alone the big ones.They will get smoked in their own house and then they will obviously own it.This team may be 4-4 but they are well below average.Take away the 3 minutes in the Texans game that they actually played good,and if the Clowns make one or two plays in the opener,this team is right where they should be at 2-6.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Or if we take away the last minute of the Tampa game we're 5-2 right now.

12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You haven't seen some good play and potential from this team this season? I guess you were out of the room when the offense or defense played well? Scoring points and playing with more consistency has been this teams issue so far.

I never go into games anymore simply believing this team will win or lose. Each game has different match ups. A game can change from QT to QT or half to half based on different factors. Because of this I believe in statement games anymore.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. Fans always do that, works both ways though.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    If Shazier is back and it sounds like he will be I expect him to spy Luck.. Should not be a problem with his speed..

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hope he has a good impact on the game!

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    '

Yeah me to Glenn.. It's hard to say given his absence. If he is 100% healthy I would expect he has impact on the game .. If nothing else chasing luck down or RBs that attempt to get away :)

17. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    this is what I was talking about.

18. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud::herewego::clapping::yahoo:

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    "Come on Man!!" How could this possibly be a Statement Game? The Steelers are old and slow and were just lucky today and can thank the refs for letting them score so many points. (OK - this is what a Seattle fan might say).

20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Nice win

and I mean reaaaalllllly nice

21. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Haha no kidding but Godell and the league need to back off on all these ticky tack penalties. They are changing the game with flags not play. We lost at least two sack and they scored 21 points off of these idioc calls. The Colts even had one called against them on Wheaton's catch. If the dang contact doesn't affect the play let it go.

Great win though I liked our D showing pressue and poise even if they still gave up some big plays

22. yeldarb

yeldarb Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Never been so glad to be wrong in my life.Lets hope they can build on this and stack a few of them together.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you think this game is a "signature" Tomlin win? I know it is definitely Haley's finest moment.

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes indeed. Tomlin, I believe, finally unleashed Holy Hell on the coaches and players this short week! All this in spite of Cotez Allen and the refs interferring as much as humanly possible. This defensive effort (less C. Allen) against ANY of our previous opponents would have produced great results, assuming of course that the O had been equally energized and consistently effective. What I'm describing is a pipe dream that hopefully they can recreate many times again this year.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude the ticky tacky calls in this league are absolutely unbelievable. They will do anything they possibly can to change a rule to help the offense. Also you are correct about Cortez Allen.