1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blount replacing Archer

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Oct 25, 2014.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not really news. Blount is generally back there on kickoffs with Archer anyways...all they did was switch the names on the depth chart order (though the Steelers.com chart doesnt show it yet).

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    But to only have 46yds all YEAR? That's pretty bad. I know he missed some time but still. I don't care how fast he is if he gets taken down on first contact he will never amount to much in this league. I want him to do well and it would be awesome to have a Sproles type player but I wouldn't be surprised if that this point the FO isn't feeling a little buyer's remorse.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    ...Because Archer is the problem with our kick returns? He hasn't done anything, but he hasn't had opportunity, either. The blocking is garbage, and he either doesn't make an attempt (because he's 9 yards deep) or gets almost no yards (because the kick was shorter but higher).

We need to get Archer the ball more, not less. Hopefully this doesn't mean anything.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Well yeah its low...but he's rarely used when he's been healthy....hes only touched the ball on offense 11 times in 5 games that he's been active. They used him better in preseason and they've gotten away from it now. Either way I'm not worried or care too much about him at this point. He can be dangerous in certain situations but while some said he could be the next Sproles/etc...not at this point...he's right now just a situational type player. If he's still not doing squat after a few years in the league...then yeah he's a dud.

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Exactly. He has only been able to return 9 kicks so far in 5 games...that isn't much at all.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly I would rather see him getting the ball on quick slants and things like that. I just think it fits his skill set a lot better. Lining him up in the backfield just doesn't seem to make much sense for a guy his size. I think he could do some damage in space if he can make a guy miss. Do you expect Blount to average about the same as Archer on kick returns though?

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I liked how he got used in the preseason too. That's what I was eluding to in my response to Snack. It seems to me that when we line him up in the backfield we totally put our cards face up. I mean what LB or DE really thinks he's in there to pass protect ya know? But if we can put him in the slot or something like that maybe he can do some more damage.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've said since they started changing the kickoff rules that it will really hurt guys like him. I mean under Goodell's NFL we might never have gotten to see a Devin Hester if those rules had been implemented sooner than they were. Most kicks just sail through the end zone but Archer has brought it out a lot when it would probably be better to keep it in the end zone. I'd say his 17yds per return backs that up since he has probably taken most of the kicks within our own end zone.

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    THIS. The NFL is frowning upon kick off returns and trying to prevent them from happening. Most kicks go out of the end zone as part of the NFL's "no-touch" policy.... as returns might cause injury.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Another wasted draft pick. That guy Smizik from the Post Gazette wrote about this a team that has limited funds to spend in free agency like the Steelers, shouldn't be wasting draft picks on guys like Landry Jones and a midget scatback like Archer. They need everydown players who can help now.

12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

:this!:

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I liked Archer on film but the big returns were against teams like Bowling Green. Unless something changes, this pick is Willie Reid re-visited.

14. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I really liked this pick but I am not sure if they are ever going to use him appropriately. He is always going to be a low percentage, high payback kind of player. That's why I don't agree with going with Blount on kickoffs. Blount will never take one to the house on a kickoff. Going with Blount is admitting that we will be mediocre on kickoff returns. Archer hasn't ripped one yet, but if you give him enough tries, he will. He is faster than any other player on the field. I also agree with you on using him on slants, because if he can get to the next level, its all over. I also wonder why they don't line him up as a WR and throw it 50 yards downfield. It might not be a completion, but it would make the DB's think twice before crowding the line of scrimmage.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's fast but he just doesn't look quick to me. You know how some guys like Sproles have that turn on a dime, quick twitch? He just doesn't seem to have that. Straight line speed, yes. Quick twitch cutting, not so much.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I think he does; we just haven't had a chance to see it yet. When was the last time Sproles was an effective kick returner? It's damn near impossible these days. Just touchbacks or subtle pooch kicks where the coverage team is on you so fast it's like a punt.

We need to get Archer the ball on offense, because it's just not going to happen any other way. Except punt returns, but Tomlin is petrified of change there.

I don't see the hesitation. He's a third round pick. He's an experienced runner. He's not just a returner that we're forcing onto offense. He's a running back with receiver skills. He doesn't just need end-arounds. Put him out there! Run him on some routes!

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope you're right about him, but I'm not just talking about kickoffs. There's no denying that he's blazing fast, but there are a lot of fast guys in the league. What distinguishes the really effective football players from just fast guys is the ability to make a cut on a dime and - BAM! - go the distance. He almost seems to run into contact at times and, as has been pointed out, goes down pretty easily on first contact. I'm not giving up on him and I'd dare say you've watched more film on him than I have, but those are my observations so far.

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If they think Archer is the problem, why replace him with Blount? So we can average 14 yards/return instead of 12? Throw Wheaton back there or just leave Archer. Doesn't make any sense to me. If the blocking ever does materialize I'd much rather have Archer return it 100 yards for a score than Blount rumbling his way to the 50.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    This move makes no tactical sense, unless they are giving up on the big play altogether and, like you said, would rather start at the 17 instead of the 15.

Looking (hard) for reasoning... maybe they would rather Blount be the one to get beat up while they are waiting to fix the blocking. Maybe once it looks more promising, they'll put Archer back in. Still, a good break could come at any minute, and even if Blount is more likely to drag them a bit, Archer's the one I trust to see a hole and get to it. That's his thing.

20. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    when I see Blount back there I think of Najeh

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Was he taking a dump?

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dri was a good pick and blount is a good kick returner too. I don't see much of a change really going on there. they will both be back there as they have been.:cool:

23. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Blount is not a good kick returner. He is a good RB.

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. Don't underestimate Blounts speed,just ask these very same Colts about last year. I think Dri is still adjusting to the speed of the game and he is also returning the ball from 9yds deep. Which I'm not totally against,sometimes you have to try and make a play. I also think that the blocking isn't up to par either there probably needs to be some adjustments made there. I'm sure it's a little bit more difficult to hold up the blocking on such deep kicks. I'm sure we have been caught off guard with the fact that he brings the ball out from so deep as well. With that being said I think we could be finding better ways to get him the ball on O. He looked good in the preseason on those quick slants and crosses.....

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    last year he had a 29.1 yard average doing it.:cool: