1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our 2015 salary cap situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by contract, Oct 25, 2014.

1. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Is it just me or does it look like an absolute train wreck waiting to happen? We have have 38 players under contract for next season, but only ~ $2,400,000 available to fill out the rest of the roster.

If Worilds is re-signed, he's going to cost a chunk of cap space. If he's not, we have another hole to fill on defense. Meanwhile Cam Heyward needs extending.

Extending Ben will create some space, but not enough on it's own. We could create space by cutting Troy or forcing him to take a pay cut, but ... I just don't see that happening.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/pittsburgh-steelers/

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I personally could care less about the salary cap. I cant control any of it. it is what it is. Just another thing for people to ***** about!

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    At this point why in the heck would they re-sign Worilds?

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They are hardly letting him rush the QB, can't really blame Worilds that he's being dropped into coverage so much.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've just noticed how much we're paying Suisham... oof.

The Woodley money is basically the killer here, as far as I can see. The Ravens are in a similar position with Rice.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are still a lot of moves that could be made to free up money for next year. I doubt we pay worilds 9+ mil. again. AB may get reworked. a decision on cam Thomas,mclendon may be in coming. gradkowski possibly reworked or cut, and a few others like cam heyward being signed will help. it's not going to be as glib as it looks right now.:cool:

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's never as bad as it looks. I'm less worried about next year than I was about a couple years ago.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I love the salary cap and contract/team building nuances. You can't control anything about the team, so by your logic...why care about anything?

I don't asterisks anything about the team or the cap, so...

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Lots of moves to be made for the team to manage. Not nearly as bleak as it looks, but count on some cuts and restructures. Here are some rough numbers. I can be more specific if necessary.

Cap space available by restructuring:
    Timmons $3.3 Mil
    AB $3.5 Mil
    Pouncey $3.8 Mil
    Tez Allen $3.6 Mil
    Gilbert $3.7 Mil
    Heath $1.5 Mil
    Suisham $1.67

Savings if outright cut pre June 1st.
    Cam Thomas $2 Mil
    McLendon $2.25 Mil
    Blount $2 Mil
    Foster $1.85 Mil
    Gradkowski $1.55 Mil
    Beachum ~$1.5
    Lance Moore $1.5 Mil
    Keisel $1.5 Mil

Cam Heyward will be extended and his $6.9 number will come down. Ben should be extended and his cap hit will likely come down.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    managing the cap is important like coaching the offense ,defense,and special teams

11. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Not all the things you mentioned help the cap for next year. Worilds signing for less would be nice but doesn't improve things, because he's a free agent and currently counts $0 towards the 2015 cap. And I'm not sure how much re-signing Heyward would lower his cap number.

12. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd rather extend Timmons if possible. And I'm not a huge fan on the cap space shell game. That's what got us into cap trouble in the first place.

I can see Thomas getting cut, but the rest are on reasonable deals. We may be able to upgrade Foster, but can we do it and save money at the same time?

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I root for the Steelers to win games. I don't obsess over the cap. That's just me! What guys are paid is pretty much meaningless to me.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    is not what they are payd ..since we have cap to stay in , you need to pay the right amount and the right people otherwise you have players gone / not come in .. if there was no cap me too i didn't bother about how much they are payd

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's Colberts or Omar Kahn's job.
    My job is to support the team.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

and you do it admirably :thumbs_up:

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol! And I'm very misunderstood.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Like I said, by that logic, why care about anything? Why dump on others who do care about the cap?

Yeah, I'm not necessarily advocating those moves, just giving an idea of what's likely in play for them. Some of the shell game is just part of the game as brilliant as that sounds.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And Khan is very good at it.

20. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    So I know nothing about the salary cap. I worry about this damn team and what they do on and off the field enough. I don't need to get into who should or may get cut because we can't pay them.
    But how about we get rid of Cortez Allen? That would help. It prolly won't happen but I can hope.

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not necessarily a fan of it either, but I don't think that's what got us into trouble. Having a ton of good players that cost a lot of money did. And every once in awhile, we (and everyone else) get stuck paying someone that is NOT worth the money - Starks, who was mismanaged, Kemoeatu, who was misevaluated, Woodley, who fell off the earth with injuries.

Khan is treated like a wizard, and I'm on board with that. I think all his maneuvering has bailed us out over and over, not backed us into a corner. The big one to point to is Keenan Lewis, who we couldn't afford to re-sign because we didn't have the space. That hurt, but I still feel like things would have been worse to begin with if Khan hadn't gotten us to that point. There's just only so much he can do.

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sorry to inform you - we JUST signed him to a big extension, right before the season started. That's the main reason everyone's so pissed at him. If we cut him now we'd lose tons. It's literally cheaper to keep him.

Plus, he really does have more talent than every other CB on the roster. He's more capable than the rest. He just needs to snap out of it. I've got no problem dropping him on the depth chart until he gets there.

23. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Nope. By my math we'd save $1.5 million by releasing him right after this season. But I imagine that we'll keep him around another season regardless.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    "Talk" only has 4 asterisks. :)

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I didn't say it would improve things for 2015, just that I doubt we sign him at 9+ mil. again next year. cam heyward we took his 5th year option but if signed would be less than the 6+ mil. we would have to pay him on that option. mclendon, not that I want him cut but his injuries are hampering us only keeping two NT's and he's counting over 2 mil. cam Thomas isn't worth the money he's being paid. I could see us dumping grad for a cheaper option too. we also don't know how much the cap will rise next year. that should help too.:cool: