1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

More questions than answers?... 4 good points...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yet another article from the Tribune that raises good questions...

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7000283-74/steelers-trib-yards#axzz3GvBSYC00

#1... Can we stop a "quality" qb?

#2... Who are our "number 2 and 3 recievers?... When it`s your runningback, that`s usually not good...

#3.. If we can`t stop the run, is it time to start focusing on the pass???

I agree with LeBeau`s premise of stopping the run, and making them beat you with the pass,

but,

if you can`t do that anymore, and the rules favor the receivers, is it FINALLY time to stop giving the recievers 10 yard cushions, off the line of scrimmage, and just sell out, on getting to the QB, and pressuring the QB???

That is a double edged sword, and we can get burned by it,

but,

burned any worse than we have been lately???!!???

Or,

are we just admitting that our players are so bad, that they need to play conservative ALL the time,
    and keep the play in front of them so they don`t get burned???

If that`s the case, we need new players...

I say, bring back BLITZBURGH!!!!

When we get pressure on the qb, our D does much better,,,

No matter if it`s Luck, Or Brady, or Flacco, or whoever...
    KILL EM!!!

#4... production from our rookies.

I am disappointed in Archer so far, but I am keeping the faith...
    McCullers has potential...
    Tuitt has potential...

Shazier should get healthy soon...
    Shamarko should get healthy soon..
    Wheaton isn`t as bad as he`s been getting blasted on here, recentley...
    He started good... and I have faith he can continue, if they give him another chance...
    They might not, with Matavius Bryant lighting it up...
    Sean Spence might as well be a rookie, but he has shown he`s been learning..
    Where does that leave Jarvis Jones?

Looks to me, like we have a lot of upside from our younginz,
    and I haven`t even mentioned some of the ones MacDaddyo knows better than me...
    Think we still have Golden, and a few others that escape my mind right now...
    (Arnfelt, another backer, Williams, maybe, and a few others...I know I`m forgetting one of the better ones, but my brain just ain`t workin right, right now...)

Not too worried about #4 on the list...

GO STEELERS!

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Luck is gonna be a nightmare. Not only does he have a rocket arm but he has some turbo legs as well. As far as wideouts go I saw today that the Titans were looking to shop Nate Washington. He would make a solid #3 or #4. Would you take him back? I'm not saying I would but just thought it was worth asking. He played well in TN given the fact he never really had a qb to throw it to him. I think with Bryant showing well the other night though that we might not be in as much WR trouble as some think.

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I think any reciever we have on our roster right now is better than Washington, at this point in his career...

Just wondering which one is gonna step up and gain Ben`s trust...

GO STEELERS!

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Stopping the run the way they are used to stopping the run depends on everyone knowing their place, doing their job and not getting delusions of granduer about being the guy that stuffs the run 5 yards behind the LOS. It is also dependent on not guessing but knowing what your opponent will do. Timmons guesses more than he know in my opinion. He jumps the gap to soon and the RB has the opportunity to cut back, hold the line, know your gap and wrap your man up.

I'm with Bled, I want a return of blitzburg, but I want it to be effective and not blitzing for the sake of blitzing. Disguise who the man you have picked for getting to the QB, show them an overload on the right and wait till the shift to match, snap the ball and slant that way and then bring the ILB on the left as the LDE or LOLB takes his man wide and leaves a giant gap. Don't have troy sprint up to the line and hold, then make a mad dash back, walk the safeties down and then bring heat inside with your LB's.

5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I hear ya Thorn, and I will add...

TACKLE!!!

Put your shoulder in their gut, wrap their legs up, with both arms, and drive em into the ground!!!

Quit launching your body in the air, and trying to make the ESPN highlight reel...

And that`s not JUST you, Troy!!!
    :mad::butcher:
    Missed tackles contribute to not stopping the run, and giving up big pass plays, as much as not staying in your gaps, or anything else!!!

6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think anyone since Hines has gained Ben's trust at least not completely. Heath does to a certain extent and so does Brown but part of the reason Sanders bolted was because he ran his route and was open all the way across the field and Ben would finally throw it to him just before a safety lit him up. SOmeone said in a thread the other day that Ben likes his slot receivers to be college open and maybe that is true, but at some point he has to just put the ball out in front of his receiver over the middle and let them make a play on the ball. yes the defender can make a play on it too but that is the risk you take.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If McCullers can mind 2 gaps like Casey could do you think McLendon will get put in a different position or what? I mean if McCullers becomes really effective against the run what do you think that will do about McLendon's role? McCullers looked INCREDIBLY powerful in the game and if he can clog up running lanes man that would be awesome.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you think it might be tough for Ben to play with good route runners since for so long he got used to receivers that could play AFTER their route was over under BA's system? I mean how many times have we heard Ben talk about how he tells his guys to ALWAYS keep running around and stuff like that and he would just "find them"? Maybe it's just tough for him to adjust to the more conventional style Haley wants him to play? Although really Wheaton has just flat out dropped a few balls as well and that's not really on Ben.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If that happens I would like to see them get some packages in where they have more linemen in and maybe a fewer LB's let the big guys try to pass rush

10. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Cotch had that trust...
    And I think Markus Wheaton STARTED to get that trust...
    Shame he dropped a couple.
    I know what you mean about Ben wanting the reciever to be "college open"...
    But when the game is on the line(and sometimes when it`s not), he will take those chances...
    Look at the throw to Santonio that won the SB...
    (Nevermind the drop he had right before that)...
    Ben WILL take chances...
    Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn`t...
    But I can`t say he is "gunshy"...
    I`ve seen him nail recievers at the front of the endzone, in the middle of traffic...
    I`ve also seen him make dumb throws into double or triple coverage deep down the field...

Sometimes it`s because of the point in the game that it is, sometims I have no explanation for it...

But, it`s usually to a reciver/tight end, that he "trusts"..

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I was imagining McLendon playing DE and just flat out bull rushing. Is that kinda what you were thinking? McClendon is quick for his size and is pretty dang powerful too.

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    McCulleers is strong as an OX, and just as unpolished...
    Let that man get some reps, and coaching, lern some technique, and he could become unstoppable...!!!

At worst he is strong as hell, and has to be accounted for...

I still see potential for him as a lead blocker in short yardage situations...
    I`m more imaginative than most head coaches, tho... Think William Perry...

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    You ARE imaginative! LOL! If McCullers ever runs in a td I will faint. LOL!

14. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Agreed. With Wheaton and Bryant, think 2nd and 3rd wideout is locked down for this year and next.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Increasingly, I'm seeing the problem with the pass rush being the LBers.

The whole ten yard cushion thing is too simplistic. I've said it too many times before - it isn't like Lebeau is sitting there, never even daring to think that his receivers could play up closer. The problem is that the cushion depends on the LBers getting into the pocket in the time it takes a receiver to make a move on their DB.

There are numerous reasons why this is might be happening, but I hope they work out how to fix it...