1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is completing 66.7% of his passes when under pressure

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by contract, Oct 22, 2014.

1. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    That's 6% better than anybody else in NFL.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Because even if he isn't under pressure, he makes himself under pressure....

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've said forever that Ben has become subconsciously conditioned to always feel that he's about to get drilled because of so many big hits. So it is like he can only elevate his game when he feels someone is breathing down his neck or hanging from his jersey. If you put Ben on an empty field he probably couldn't hit the broad side of a green barn but send a lb flying at him and he can put it over 3 defenders in the corner of the end zone to win the Super Bowl. Go Figure. LOL.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, his overall pct is 65.9%. So his pct under pressure is almost exactly the same as his pct when he's not.

You might ask: how come his completion % when he's not under pressure is so low?

If you can hit the target on a dartboard while blindfolded at the same pct as when you're not, should I be impressed by your ability while blindfolded? Or should I wonder what the hell is wrong with you when you're not?

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Things that make you say, HMMMMM! :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

[video=youtube_share;XF2ayWcJfxo]http://youtu.be/XF2ayWcJfxo?t=15s[/video]

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Overall percentage, Under pressure percentage
    Aaron Rodgers 66.8% 48.9%
    Peyton Manning 68.7% 46.7%
    Russel Wilson 65.7% 50%
    Joe Flacco 63.7% 44.3%
    Tom Brady 61.5% 42%

Edit- oops, fixed a clerical error.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    and every one of those guys has a higher passer rating, a higher QPR and have thrown for more TDs, only Wilson At 3-3 has a worse record than Ben.

Ben owns a Ripleys Beleive It Or Not stat here. Again,all those guys complete heaps more passes when not under pressure than #7, and that's the why their offenses are better.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've always thought peyton performed poorly when pressured. I'm surprised by Rogers though.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I know its not legal but could we just try one time to long snap it with a 9 WR's set and see what happens?

After all, I'm sure that if Brady had that success rate they would try and adjust the rules accordingly.;)

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, not that it really matters, but Tom Brady's Passer Rating is marginally different at 96.3 vs Ben's 96.1 and Wilson is tied for TDs. Otherwise yes, the handful of QB's I listed have those things in common.
    Perhaps, but I certainly can't say they complete heaps more passes when not under pressure. Here's their overall attempts/completions.

Flacco 245 att. 156 comp.

Wilson 175 att. 115 comp.

Rodgers 211 att. 141 comp.

Manning 217 att. 149 comp.

Brady 247 att. 152 comp.

Roethlisberger 252 att. 166 comp.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Quibble away if you like. But if all these guys have 'horrible' completion pct under pressure compared to Ben. But their other stats are at least as good or better (including wins and pts) , is it unfair to say that 'completion pct under pressure' is not a statistic that correlates well with overall offensive performance?
    Hence my comment that % comp under duress is a freak show stat, and nothing more.

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Would be, if not for the fact that a lot of those throws come when the game is on the line, and the defense is doing everything they can to stop us from winning...
    Not every team goes into complete "prevent" mode, when the game is on the line.
    Or in third down situations during the game, etc..
    A lot of throws made "under duress', come at crucial times in the game.
    Not sure how to quantify that with a "stat"...
    We play the Ravens twice a year, who just lat out hate us , and bring a LOT of pressure during our games,
    and for a lot of the years that Ben has played, Pittsburgh is a marked target on their opponent`s schedule as a game they REALLY wanna win, either because we are Superbowl champs, or just because we have been so good for so long, that they elevate their game, to show they can beat us!
    Not so much the last couple seasons...

13. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Having your QB under pressure is generally something to be avoided. Blame whoever you like for the pressures.

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    1) Protection breaks down immediately, so the play seems destined to fail.
    2) Protection is fine and Ben holds the ball too long - making himself vulnerable to rushers.

We are all aware that plenty of #1 has happened over the past 2 years. There seems to be a great deal of #2 going on, as well. All of the #2 is why I am not befuddled about why the Steelers offense doesn't look like a well-oiled machine.

Ben is the QB. His level of consistency (or inconsistency) will be inherited by the rest of the offense. This is true of any QB. The play starts with him.

So, it's amazing to watch scenario #1. But frustrating to realize that the offense isn't going to be great when there is a lot of #2 going on.

16. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Not really surprised. It's probably because there are less guys coming after him and more out in coverage. Ben has never been able to pick apart zone coverage like manning, rogers, etc...

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Great assesment. Nailed it.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    You can call it quibbling if you want, but you seem to be reaching to make a point. I made no argument either way...just posted some names and numbers. I think it's fair to say that 'completion percent under pressure' doesn't correlate with winning or losing.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Ben isn't really holding the ball too long, not like he used to anyway. Here's a stat line that many might not believe via ProFootballFocus.

So far this season, only 5 other quarterbacks (with a large enough playing time sample size) are getting rid of the ball quicker on average.

Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins, Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, and Peyton Manning. On average, Ben takes 2.49 seconds to throw. It's worth noting though that he has far more drop backs than those quarterbacks aside from Tom Brady.

Another interesting stat- when Ben has 2.5 seconds or less to throw, his passer rating is 90.1. When he has 2.6 or more, it's 112.6...2nd best behind Aaron Rodgers. Manning and Romo being 3rd and 4th.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly, I just get tired of beating the drum so don't get involved in these Ben discussions as much anymore :lolol:

You're spot on though. Whether it's under pressure, sitting in the pocket, his release time, he's among the best.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I wonder if there's a stat to prove how long it takes for him to be contacted by a defender on average? I bet it would be one of the highest in the league.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Being some what of a mathematical nerd, it does make me wonder why he can't score in a correlated fashion?

Any thoughts on this?

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben missed on a few big play TD's this season.

Ben struggles throwing with anticipation of where and when his WR's will break open. He struggles in the red zone when the decision making needs to be quicker and the the passing windows are tighter.

Ben can throw for all the yards in the world & have the best completion % and it will mean very little if the offense can't score more points.

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    THROW ME SOME TDs #7.......You want to be a HOFer?.....Throw TDs and win F....ing SBs......Thats how yinz get a gold jacket.

25. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012